• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are these skis awful?

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi all. Looking for advice. I ran across these skis and I'm wondering what's wrong with/ are they awful? I can't seem to find anything about them online. I understand they are of course not top of the line I'm just curious as to why the are priced so low.

I'm an advanced beginner so I'm not looking for top of line at this stage anyway. And before anyone yells out "BOOTS!", I understand their importance. I plan on getting that sorted out but if I have my own boots I would like to go straight from the car to the mountain without dealing with the rental shop. Plus I think it would be nice to ski on the same thing for consistency as I keep learning.

Volkl Essenza RTM 8.0 Women's Skis
https://www.levelninesports.com/volkl-essenza-rtm-8-0-women-s-skis-2017?utm_source=criteo

Info on me:

Height: 6"0"
Weight: 160
Where I ski: California (Big Bear, Snow Summit, Mammoth)

I'm looking at the 165 cm length.

Thanks!!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The description tells you why you can't find a lot about them online they were not a N American release and not all European skis get thoroughly reviewed in English.

They look like they would be OK for developing in west coast snow to me but I'm not female or a beginner so I'll wait for someone better qualified to come along.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Sounds like a good deal. Wood core/Volkl. Like bob I'm not female and only slightly better than a beginner. Bought a few items from L9. Alwaya good.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some of the UK sites might prove helpful.

snowheads.com or ellis-brigham.com perhaps?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like a SMU (Special Make Up) ski for Europe. It will be better than most rental skis for the reason you mention. It might be a one or two season ski for you so get a better binding to put on them like a Marker M11.0, Salomon Warden 11 or even a Tyrolia Attack 13 thar you can swapt to your next "big girl" skis when yout grow out of these.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Reading the description, and applying what I've learned from a few years of comparing experience and marketing, it's not awful, but it's also not ideal for "East Coast skiers that ski aggressively on the hardpack while still getting off trail a bit. West Coast skiers: this is a carving ski that should only be brought out when the powder is gone and its time to rip the groomers". It's more of a forgiving ski for light folks who ski at moderate (not fast, and not aggressive) in several (edit: by several I mean 3" to 8")inches of softer snow.

The price is low because it is NOT a hard snow carving machine, having been compromised too much to make it easier to ski, and easier to ski in deeper snow, but it's also not enough of a deep snow ski to compete with purpose built deep snow skis. If you are a beginner-intermediate (say up to level 7) skier who skis on marked trails at slow to moderate (say up to the median speed of the other skiers on the hill and below) speeds in an area where there is more often than not 6 inches of fresh snow on those trials, then it's a great ski.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
It is a rental ski, the 'women's version' of the RTM 8.0... which is also a rental ski. That is why they are not a system ski like every other 'RTM' model, so rental shops can use whatever rental binding they are set up for. They are a pretty nice rental ski... but there are better skis that don't cost too much more.

TS
CrystalRose

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Sounds like a SMU (Special Make Up) ski for Europe. It will be better than most rental skis for the reason you mention. It might be a one or two season ski for you so get a better binding to put on them like a Marker M11.0, Salomon Warden 11 or even a Tyrolia Attack 13 thar you can swapt to your next "big girl" skis when yout grow out of these.

I pretty figured it would be a 2 season ski but at the price I will still come out on top. As far as the bindings I heard that it is easier to sell skis if they have the bindings on them no? Though I wouldn't expect much for these anyway.

It is a rental ski, the 'women's version' of the RTM 8.0... which is also a rental ski. That is why they are not a system ski like every other 'RTM' model, so rental shops can use whatever rental binding they are set up for. They are a pretty nice rental ski... but there are better skis that don't cost too much more.

Any suggestions on a better ski around the same price, $300 total with bindings?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If it's about economics then if you buy them with a low end binding mounted for say $230 then I'd be surprised if you couldn't flip them for $150 after a season. Your main problem is getting a boot so that you can have bindings mounted for your BSL.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will agree with @Mike Thomas here, for not much more you can find better options. Especially once you add the cost of a binding. Shoot a message to Mike's sister store @SkiEssentials and see if they have any options for you. If you open your range past women's specific ski, there will be even more choices.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@CrystalRose

I am a similar height, but 30#'s heavier, I was looking at the Head Natural Instinct. Have a look at those. Of course I'm a beginner too looking for my first set of skis, so what do I know. But I found them for $399 with bindings

Sponsor