• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Anyone do Clays, USPSA, 3-gun? Or anything close?

A few random pix, I have my own airgun range out back, shoot a 9mm 2011 and 3-gun, an old 682 for trap with my 80-year old Dad (who can still beat me, that's what makes it a great sport).

20140907_shooting_006.jpg
20160318_shooting_0034.jpg
20170309_shootingguns_0273.jpg
20160921_gunshootingrange_0009.jpg
20150911_beretta682_0230.jpg
20170123_IMG_2521.JPG

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My local range does IDPA the first weekend of the month, USPSA the second, and Steel Challenge the third. I get out as many weekends as I can, but between having to work a couple of weekends a month and ski season, I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to. That STI is a sweet pistol! I don't own anything as fancy as that, though I thought briefly about getting one a couple of years ago. Then CA shut the door on any possible future purchase of one. I mostly shoot my M&P 9 mm Pro (5" barrel) for USPSA. For IDPA I'll shoot the M&P 4". Or my Shield, if I really don't care about my score. For Steel Challenge I take the M&P .22, which is a ton of fun to shoot. I don't own any long guns, so don't get out for three gun. There are lots of very good shooters who go out each weekend. I'm pretty happy if I score somewhere in the middle of the pack.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
There are lots of very good shooters who go out each weekend. I'm pretty happy if I score somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Me too, happy just to be able to compete safely and have fun. As you get older vision gets to be the crucial factor and now I'm having a lot of fun tweaking glasses and experimenting with oddball solutions like one lens with a top bifocal sighted for my pistol sights and the other clear for infinity. Then I switch glasses for Clays and look through clear lenses with scopes... it gets complicated.

But the beauty is that like skiing you can do it well into old age, as my Dad has proven. Some of the old guys at the trap line look like the shotguns will knock them over yet they'll still kick a$$.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have several great outdoor clubs near us here in the Catskills, and not to far from you. One facility even has a Tuesday night trap league under the lights.
If your ever near Oneonta stop by the Oneonta sportsmans club. They offer Trap, skeet, sporting clays and have an awesome 5 stand.
I had to drop shooting for several reasons. One being, I have more hobbies than time, and the worst was by mid season my shoulder would act up and go numb. After multiple attempts of changing stocks and pads it kept persisting so I let it go.
At my best I was a 98 /100 in trap. NEVER perfect and man it could frustrate the hell out of you but kept sucking you back in trying for that perfect score.
Somewhat Interesting comparison to skiing in that one gun can work all disciplines but the really proficient and dialed in shooters usually have quite an expensive quiver as you probably already know.

Have a safe season

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Somewhat Interesting comparison to skiing in that one gun can work all disciplines but the really proficient and dialed in shooters usually have quite an expensive quiver as you probably already know.

Have a safe season

And it makes skis look inexpensive!!!
I have WAY too many pricy pastimes...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do @Shotzski's count?

How about jello shots?
I have a trap set in my living room, but that is over in the home studio thread.

Once or twice a year we go to the range with the boy scouts. Have BB gun targets in the back yard. Real guns are very securely packed away with no real incentive to play with them anytime soon. I'm fine using other peoples' stuff that goes BANG in the proper venues.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As a kid my Dad and I set up a 25 foot air rifle range in the basement. Still have and shoot my Sheridan Air Rifle. Great fun. Also have a few 9mm pistols and a Barretta Cx4 Storm carbine. Don't shoot often, but can hold my own on the range. Qualified expert pistol in the Navy, and that was after not shooting anything for about 10 years.

Shooting is great for teaching discipline. If the weapon is sighted in properly then you can't blame anyone or thing for missing the target. That's why I enjoy it.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was a very competive PPC shooter, handgun instructor and later a safety firearms instructor (Canadian thing). Kids got in the way.

rpk4dotcom

More Retro memories????
Skier
Packing up for a long weekend of crop defense in SE Idaho - you gotta help the farmers protect that barley. Personally I am bringing 10/22, 17, 223 and a 20 gauge for specialty situations, the other team members always surprise me with their choices, although everyone has a 17. Rumor has it that someone is bringing a new Creedmore this year. Oh, and whiskey.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I like to heat up 1911s on a regular basis ringing steel too.

My father kept his when he retired from the military. I shot it once, not a lot of experience shooting big pistols. What I read when researching it was that the 1911s aren't all that accurate beyond 50 feet. Is that true compared to modern guns, and if so more true (less accurate) than say a long barrel revolver from the same period?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My father kept his when he retired from the military. I shot it once, not a lot of experience shooting big pistols. What I read when researching it was that the 1911s aren't all that accurate beyond 50 feet. Is that true compared to modern guns, and if so more true (less accurate) than say a long barrel revolver from the same period?

A full frame 1911 has a 5" barrel, which is plenty long. I don't have issues with reasonable accuracy at 50 feet or a little longer. The key is to knowing the pistol and the tendencies of the load you are shooting. I don't know of any "modern" hand guns that are any more accurate than a well-built 1911.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I learned to shoot when I was 12. My dad gave me a 22 Winchester Pump. I was so small, he had to cut down the stock so I could actually hold it. It has stayed with me during my moves, but its been 7 years since I've taken it out. I feel ashamed, I should at least take it out to oil it and clean it.

The only other firearm I have here is a cannon that my dad made in 1976 for the Bicentennial. It shoots a 2 inch lead ball, but I don't recommend it. When we have fired it, its usually just packing, because(depending on the charge) a ball can travel a mile or more.

That being said, its been far too long since I've shot.