• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Android update crashed micro SD card

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'm going to have to make the leap to the cloud.:rolleyes: I got an update on my Galaxy S20+ the other night and it crashed the SD card with who knows how many photos, many from this season's skiing.:( The card and the photos were fine right before the update, now the phone (and tablet and computer) won't even recognize the card. Phone says I need to format but then I lose photos if they're still there. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fix that with my limited skills I can understand? I'm more than a little pissed about this.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'm going to have to make the leap to the cloud.:rolleyes: I got an update on my Galaxy S20+ the other night and it crashed the SD card with who knows how many photos, many from this season's skiing.:( The card and the photos were fine right before the update, now the phone (and tablet and computer) won't even recognize the card. Phone says I need to format but then I lose photos if they're still there. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a fix that with my limited skills I can understand? I'm more than a little pissed about this.
Is the card removable? Or are you only trying to access it through the phone?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
  1. Method 1: Try using another device (e.g. USB Port, Card Reader, or PC)
  2. Method 2: Assign a New Drive Letter.
  3. Method 3: Reinstall SD Card drivers.
  4. Method 4: Use CHKDSK Command.
  5. Method 5: Use Windows Repair Tool.
  6. Method 6: Use Diskpart Command without Formatting.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can remove it from the phone and put it in a reader on a PC, it may just be readable. If not readable, there are many SD card recovery programs out there that will attempt various things to pull data from the card and reconstitute your photos - you could Google search to find some free utilities. (Sandisk used to have a good one, several years ago - it's been a while since I recovered an SD card.)

And if you can't remove it from the phone, there are card recovery apps you can download too - but I have no experience with those.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can remove it from the phone and put it in a reader on a PC, it may just be readable. If not readable, there are many SD card recovery programs out there that will attempt various things to pull data from the card and reconstitute your photos - you could Google search to find some free utilities. (Sandisk used to have a good one, several years ago - it's been a while since I recovered an SD card.)

And if you can't remove it from the phone, there are card recovery apps you can download too - but I have no experience with those.
I did try it on my MacBook and a tablet. Neither could read it. The MacBook knew it was there but I didn't even have an option to look at it.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
take it out and use a micro card reader- then transfer another device
I was able to put it in the card reader in my old MacBook (I wish the new ones still had that option!) and it couldn't find it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Or see if one of those recovery utilities can actually read it on your current Macbook.

If it sees the card but won't read it, it could be because it appears to be unformatted, even though your data is still there. A utility might be able to repair the file system/format, or bypass it to get at the data.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was able to put it in the card reader in my old MacBook (I wish the new ones still had that option!) and it couldn't find it.
i'm not too techno- i have an SD card from my camera that won't read in my other camera! but my computer/laptop can find it and it works fine..
i'm copying and pasting.

How do I get my old Mac to read my SD card?

Image result for how to find sd card on old macbook

Let's see how to do to show SD card on Mac's desktop and Finder.
  1. Go to Finder > Preferences > General, and make sure the "External disks" option is ticked. ...
  2. Select the Sidebar tab on the top, and make sure the External disks option under Locations is also ticked.
  3. Go to Desktop and check if your SD card is showing up.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying an app from online. We'll see what happens.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If it sees the card but won't read it, it could be because it appears to be unformatted
I just want to know why it's suddenly unformatted. The update came overnight, which is normal. I started the phone as it shuts down after an update. It said the card wasn't OK but I didn't think much of it since it was fine the day before. Today I was looking for a photo and realized the photos that were stored to internal storage were still there but nothing on the card. Technology is great until it isn't great.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's important not to do any writing to the card. Nothing is usually really deleted, unless a low level format was done on it by samsung. Unfortunately, you just found out why backups are always important.

You might just need to find a good PC store in Reno that can help. Maybe, http://www.renocomputerfix.net/

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's important not to do any writing to the card. Nothing is usually really deleted, unless a low level format was done on it by samsung. Unfortunately, you just found out why backups are always important.

You might just need to find a good PC store in Reno that can help. Maybe, http://www.renocomputerfix.net/
I do backup to an external drive but you must remember to do that.:doh:

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the recovery app got some of the "lost" photos. I'm going to remove the card and when I get a chance take it to the place @Dwight suggested. In the mean time photos are going to the internal phone memory. And getting backed up.

Sponsor