• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

American Auto Flops

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
What a fun quiz. I got 25 out of 35. I used to have a chevy citation. It was the second car I ever owned. I drove the crap out of this thing. Had it for years, never had an issue with it and literally drove it to the ground. I am also a Fiero lover. I had several Fieros including a fastback GT in which I had a camarro 3.4 engine put in it. Ahhh that car moved; great off the line and cornered like it was on a track.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
29/35. I will disagree with two of them. too subjective.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgot to check my score, but it didn't include my worst experience. 1974 Mercury Capri V-6. Stranded once when the plastic timing gear stripped and the suspension and steering were shot when I traded it in at 50,000 miles. Made by Ford of Germany (wonderful German quality). so I don't know if it really counts as American.

On the other hand, my next car, a 1979 Honda Civic, wasn't that much better. Good at first, but pretty much worn out at 50,000 miles, finally gave it away at 80,000. Raped by dealer both on initial purchase and service. Never considered a Honda since.

I remember when they called the the Cadillac variable displacement engine the V8-6-4-0.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
18, :( , but then I haven't lived in the U.S. since 1968

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
25/35, not because I'm a car guy but because I'm old. Think the Delorean would have been awesome with a better engine and Delorean would have stayed out of the coke business for financing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Forgot to check my score, but it didn't include my worst experience. 1974 Mercury Capri V-6. Stranded once when the plastic timing gear stripped and the suspension and steering were shot when I traded it in at 50,000 miles. Made by Ford of Germany (wonderful German quality). so I don't know if it really counts as American.

On the other hand, my next car, a 1979 Honda Civic, wasn't that much better. Good at first, but pretty much worn out at 50,000 miles, finally gave it away at 80,000. Raped by dealer both on initial purchase and service. Never considered a Honda since.

I remember when they called the the Cadillac variable displacement engine the V8-6-4-0.
I had a Gremlin, a Duster, and a GranTorino in my early driving years.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier

I had a Cordoba, without the leather. 400ci engine, and a glove box full of ballast resistors. If you could get it to start, 0-50 is a hour or so, then hold the heck on. Over 50mph, that thing would fly.
The favorite was the Ranchero though. Horse poo in the AM, date in the PM.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
26. Not too bad considering most of these pre date me coming to the US. NOw of course if it had questions like what was the first British car with 5 gears and five doors.....:)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A few could have gone either way. As @scott43 said, some were pretty cryptic.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
31; it helps to be old and a car buff. However it should have been 32 as I believe Ford did NOT get bailed out in the same manor as GM and FCA; i.e. the government did not take an ownership position in Ford.

Sponsor

Staff online