• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Amazon buying Whole Foods -$13.7 Billion

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never a fan of Whole Food. Can't afford to.
I buy tons of stuff via Amazon Prime. Haven't figured out how to utilize Amazon Pantry and Amazon Fresh effectively yet.
Maybe the next step is shop online and free pick up at Whole Food?

That is what I do that with Home Depot currently. Their online selection is much better than what is available locally in store. Click, pay and they will ship it to the local store free for pick up. Saves on shipping charges and reduces the delivery time. It is the last mile that costs most.
Another added benefit is it saves me a ton of time and aggravation wandering aimlessly around the warehouse just to find they are out of stock on the items I wanted. .

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
$13.7 Billion is a heck of a grocery bill.

Whole Foods has a following, for sure, but I've just never warmed up to it. I've met a few people for lunch at WF, including @SkiNurse, and I've gone with friends who shop exclusively at Whole Foods, but I've bought (not including the meals) maybe three things at WF in my shopping experiences.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Interesting.

I've recently had cause to remember when I first heard about Amazon - it sold books, only. It had never been profitable. And we all wondered how any business could make money selling things on a website, since obviously not enough people would be willing to risk sharing their payment information online.

The really cool thing, IMO, about Amazon is that they took all that technical infrastructure they built out for their shopping site - and realized, hey, wait a minute. We could monetize this. So they made all their crazy cloud-based technology available for other companies to use, and now almost every new-ish software company uses Amazon's AWS systems. How many companies have that sort of realization and pivot accordingly?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
$30m per store isn't chump change in a business with fallling like for like sales and a net income of less than $100m if I pulled the right article. So one can only assume that there is a wider strategy at play which takes the reach of Whole Foods to a whole new level. One doubts Amazon are that much into being the upscale neighbourhood grocery store of choice.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WF prices have actually come down and their produce is competitive with our local chain stores now and their organic poultry is actually cheaper. What makes WF expensive is the array of exotic goodies that mysteriously jump in one's cart when one is not paying attention.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I buy specific things at whole foods. I have mixed feelings about Amazon but do use their prime service pretty frequently.

It'll be interesting to see how this whole things shakes out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, what? Is that a joke? Walmart buying a cute little outdoor store with funny emails is supposed to threaten Amazon?

Well, Walmart bought Moosejaw earlier this year which was a play to compete with Amazon in the outdoor gear market which Amazon already competes in. And that article specifically talks about how they expected the next heat up between the competitors to be in grocery which we saw today.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Never a fan of Whole Food. Can't afford to.
I buy tons of stuff via Amazon Prime. Haven't figured out how to utilize Amazon Pantry and Amazon Fresh effectively yet.
Maybe the next step is shop online and free pick up at Whole Food?

That is what I do that with Home Depot currently. Their online selection is much better than what is available locally in store. Click, pay and they will ship it to the local store free for pick up. Saves on shipping charges and reduces the delivery time. It is the last mile that costs most.
Another added benefit is it saves me a ton of time and aggravation wandering aimlessly around the warehouse just to find they are out of stock on the items I wanted. .

$13.7 Billion is a heck of a grocery bill.

Whole Foods has a following, for sure, but I've just never warmed up to it. I've met a few people for lunch at WF, including @SkiNurse, and I've gone with friends who shop exclusively at Whole Foods, but I've bought (not including the meals) maybe three things at WF in my shopping experiences.
Big fan of Amazon Prime and only go to WF for some specialty items if I can't make it to Tony's Meat Market (which is da bomb meat market here) I much prefer Costco, Target & King Soopers for my normal groceries. Like @KingGrump , I haven't figured out Amazon Pantry, but friends that use it find it very convenient. Amazon also just announced for certain areas of the Denver metro area, they will deliver items for Amazon Prime members within 60 minutes for $8.99 and within 2 hours for free. Unfortunately, my zip code doesn't fall into this delivery zone

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hilarious!!!
:roflmao:
WF prices have actually come down and their produce is competitive with our local chain stores now and their organic poultry is actually cheaper. What makes WF expensive is the array of exotic goodies that mysteriously jump in one's cart when one is not paying attention.
....and other grocery stores have better health food and organic options than they did back when WF opened.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Never been to Whole Foods... I think there are a few in Canada. I just order something from Amazon and am still waiting almost 2 weeks later.
There's one very close to my workplace. My retail appraisal expert wife says "I don't know how they stay in business when they have so little over the belt.." Lots of one or two pick-ups, not many family shops. I mean, I love pasta sauce, but $18 for a jar of it?? Yikes..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There's one very close to my workplace. My retail appraisal expert wife says "I don't know how they stay in business when they have so little over the belt.." Lots of one or two pick-ups, not many family shops. I mean, I love pasta sauce, but $18 for a jar of it?? Yikes..

Food snob alert. Get out now while you can.

Lots of good stuff comes in jars (marmalade!). Lots of good stuff costs $18.00 (Rosso di Montalcino!). Pasta sauce is not one of either. Pasta sauce comes from a pan. Sorry. Flame me now.