• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Alpine Mountain, Pa (formally Timber Hill) Sold

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From The Pocono Record

By Andrew Scott
Pocono Record Writer

Picture_003a.jpg;cid=1492992000000-543
Photo: NYSkiForums

Succeeding so far in the towing and motorcycle dealership businesses, Jim and Linda Schlier are now trying their hand at the resort business. The Schliers on Monday bought Alpine Resort in Price Township from previous owner Kevin Fabiano for $412,500.

“It was a steal,” said Michael Baxter Sr. of Michael Baxter & Associates in Stroudsburg, who worked with son Michael Baxter Jr. and fellow associate Deron Erney on the sale. “Once our company was brought on board to handle the sale, it took a couple of months to work out all the details and finalize everything, but everyone walked away happy in the end.”

alpine-mountain-pa-trail-map.jpg
Including hills that had been meant for winter ski slope use, the 97-acre property sits along the western side of Route 447, surrounded by the secluded woods of Price Township. The Schliers, who own Schlier’s Towing based in Tannersville and Pocono Mountain Harley-Davidson in Snydersville, plan to make it a destination resort without the skiing.

“It wasn’t economically feasible for the previous owner to maintain and keep the skiing open, given the recent warm winters we’ve had,” Jim Schlier said Tuesday at the resort property. “So, we plan to sell two of the three ski lifts and keep one.”

Linda Schlier said, “Other than removing the two ski lifts and keeping this a destination resort, we’re not yet 100 percent sure what we plan to do.”

Jim Schlier mentioned the idea of possibly catering to motorcyclists, since the couple owns the Harley-Davidson dealership, but this remains to be seen.

The Schliers consider the purchase a good one, noting the aesthetic exterior and interior features of the 23,000-square-foot building that houses a bar. In its 40-plus-year history, the resort has hosted weddings, the annual Latin Fest and other events, said Michael Baxter Jr.

Fabiano and his son bought the property in early 2014. He had plans to invest millions of dollars in upgrading the property and having repairs done to the bridge accessing the property from Route 447.

7f8b4f4eb1194a4bfcc60a54619c8bbb.jpg
When Charles Poalillo Jr. owned the property prior to Fabiano buying it, residents of the neighboring Timber Hill community had been using Timber Hill Road to access and cut across Alpine’s unpaved parking area to the bridge onto Route 447.

After buying the property, Fabiano placed boulders at the bottom of Timber Hill Road to block access while he renovated the property. His intent was to reopen access if the Timber Hill Community Association would build a road to connect to the Route 447 bridge without cutting across the property.

The Schliers said Tuesday that the community association still has access from Timber Hill Road blocked. There was no indication the community association had been in contact with the Schliers to discuss whether access will remain blocked.

By March 2016, the resort was still in business, despite a slow ski season. However, there was a filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection due to Poalillo having been in arrears on the resort’s utility bill, according to Fabiano’s attorney, though Fabiano said he hadn’t been the one to file for Chapter 11.

After an online auction of several major items was held late last year to help the financially troubled resort, Fabiano had the property listed for sale by January, with the initial starting bid at $750,000.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting. Timber Hill is where I first started skiing regularly when all they had was two T-Bars and a Poma lift. Timber Hill was part of my youth for sure. With the supervision of Ski Patrol we were allowed to build jumps on the sides of the trails. It was the first place I did a helicopter and learned how to do a tip roll. We used to ski there during the day then head to Camelback for night skiing.

@Sibhusky and @Andy Mink also probably skied here when it was Timber Hill back in the 70-80's.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never heard of Timber-Hill, and I had Wilburgers Ski Shop's Ski Area Map in the 1970's!
Actually, a six-grade classmate in my neighborhood hung a copy on his bedroom wall with little-flagged pins in every Ski Area he had been too, which was many, and I still don't remember Timber-Hill from that although I'd wager he had skied there at least once. We lived on opposite high sides of a valley and on good snow years built ski jumps in our back yards. Mine were better engineered and lasted till the spring thaw, his almost always fell apart with use only his were better because he had more hillside going in with a long run out to a creek at the bottom and few trees in-between. His jumps were great for distance. Mine for air, but treacherous with woods almost immediately after landing! The prep school kid we didn't know who's back yard on the other side of what was a forest to us which we'd cut thru when walking to the train station had us both beat with a friggin small scale cog railway that ran from the "to the manor born" home to tennis courts at the bottom of the longish hill that the kid used for lift serve backyard skiing!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@neonorchid, Timber Hill (Alpine Mountain) was between Canadensis and Analomink of Rt. 447, you could come in the back way from 191 by end of Rt. 715 also. Vertical is about 450ft.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...nope, still don't know it.

I knew there were small(er) ski areas in NE PA, but never skied anywhere in PA other than Spring Mountain, Camelback, Jack Frost (once), ELK and Blue (can count the times on one hand), first visited in that order beginning from the early 1970's to date.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...nope, still don't know it.
Not sorI knew there were small(er) ski areas in NE PA, but never skied anywhere in PA other than Spring Mountain, Camelback, Jack Frost (once), ELK and Blue (can count the times on one hand), first visited in that order beginning from the early 1970's to date.
Not surprised, it was far from being a destination resort considering that everywhere around it, Shawnee, Buck Hill and Skytop all had their own hill. It catered to more the local crowd and the 40-50 homes in the private estates that were attached. At one point, we owned a couple of properties in the community even a coveted 'slopeside' lot that was to be for my retirement.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...whew, it's a good thing you dodged that bullet! I can't see you retiring to a 450' vert drop ski area:eek:
LOL, yeah. It was earmarked for me but my mother sold it in a package deal to someone who wanted all the parcels we had there.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
One of my best ski memories came from a day skiing there.....,

TY!

Sponsor

Staff online