• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Things Subaru

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Outbacks are lower that Foresters. If height is a potential issue, garage clearance, etc... Outback is lower to start with. Forester has more headroom but comes with the cost of a higher roof.

I know. Just noodling. I wasn't considering the Forester; was considering the box.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2017_for_photos_ext_04.jpg

Pick it tomorrow! Ordered it 8 weeks ago.

17TDI_FOR002_V2_1920x1200.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All Scott said is true, but I will add that most cars are set up to have some, to a lot of understeer, where the front end 'pushes'. My WRX, while being more neutral than the outbacks and foresters, was still not to my personal liking and a rear bar increase helped to get it where I wanted it to be. Another thing said above is that winter conditions generate far lower cornering forces and that a very stiff roll setting will tend to give you a 'now you see it, now you don't', lightswitch release in the snow and frozen road conditions. So don't go too big on your bar choices if you value a predictable winter handling car.
If you read the Outback forums, it is a very common upgrade. I agree it decreases the amount of unsteer, something the Outbacks are known for more than the otehr Subie models. I very well will expore doing it on the Alltrack.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2017_for_photos_ext_04.jpg

Pick it tomorrow! Ordered it 8 weeks ago.

17TDI_FOR002_V2_1920x1200.jpg
sharp, I didn't realize that the borwn interior was also available on the Forester, I thought it was jsut on the Outback. Sharp.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
sharp, I didn't realize that the borwn interior was also available on the Forester, I thought it was jsut on the Outback. Sharp.

It's nice, and only available in the touring model. For 2017 they've changed the old burnished bronze to a darker sepia bronze metalic and only offer that color in the touring also. With the brown interior they are rare right now, hence the factory order and the wait. I usually take a color and trim package of the cars that are available in my area, but this time I said to my wife, "we keep cars for 10 years and put 200,000+ on them, how many more new cars are we going to own before we're too old to drive, we're ordering what we want this time", and so we did.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If you read the Outback forums, it is a very common upgrade. I agree it decreases the amount of unsteer, something the Outbacks are known for more than the otehr Subie models. I very well will expore doing it on the Alltrack.

Not voting one way or the other..just a caution that some of the people on those forums don't really know what they're talking about. Once had a discussion about which motorcycle tires were good or bad. Not sure how any of the participants could know, they'd never slid a motorcycle tire in their lives. Sway bar change is an easy change so you can always go back if you're unhappy with the results.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not voting one way or the other..just a caution that some of the people on those forums don't really know what they're talking about. Once had a discussion about which motorcycle tires were good or bad. Not sure how any of the participants could know, they'd never slid a motorcycle tire in their lives. Sway bar change is an easy change so you can always go back if you're unhappy with the results.
Plus it is pretty inexpensive to do.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I recently got a 2017 Forester Touring with the Brown Leather Interior and absolutely love it (white pearl exterior). I did not particularly wanted the Eyesight system but the Forester they had with the other options and color I wanted had it so I got it. Turned to be a REALLY useful feature that I have used quite a bit. Also the rearview mirrors with the light and indicators are nice.

Evansilver

Booting up
Skier
Picked up our Forester, premium with Eyesight and weather package Wednesday. We thought we would have to wait tillJanuary when VW will buy back the TDI, but when the car arrived they offered Jane 4 years of zero financing (I had already negotiated a price of $1,000 below invoice) so she said why not. It's in the garage and the Jetta is out in the snow. We'll keep driving it because we still have most of a tank of diesel to use up. If I'm good I'll get to drive the Subie some time in 2018.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I like the look of this one. Wow.

Subaru-Viziv-Future-Concept-3.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is that the 2017, or a future model?

It is a concept for future Subaru vehicles. I do not know specifically if they are gonna design and make a 2 door SUV but I think the front facia can be used in their future SUV/Wagons. Phil mentioned that Subaru is planning on releasing a large, 7 seat, SUV in the near future with a similar look. Sort of a "replacement" for the defunct Tribeca but different, larger.

Evansilver

Booting up
Skier
Finally began driving the 17 Forester now that the Jetta has been bought back. So far so good. Seems very solid - don't see why some folks think it's tinny.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
09 Foresters added to Takeda recall.. No parts or fix until March 2018.. and they expect people to drive them without using the front passenger seat?

17353425_1608652892483576_925422133888058408_n.jpg

P.S. If someone gets hurt or killed in your front seat you can't sue us because we warned you... That is the main purpose of this letter.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Can you fit a pair of 190s in the back of an Outback, without going all diagonal?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
VW is offerning incentives to Subaru owners who want to buy an Alltrack ...

I'd NEVER buy the first year model of any car regardless of the maker. Just too many unknowns there. Might be perfect with no recalls lemons but I'd rather wait and see how it does for others over a few years..

I doubt I will EVER buy another "new" car again. I will keep the Forester up as needed for ski trips and kids learning to drive. My next vehicle will likely be a classic car project, likely a Trans Am or Firebird to drive off in to the sunset of retirement.

A VW AllTrack could be in the cards in about 10 years. It will likely be something about 2-3 years old when I get it. new cars have been OK for the most part for me but just sooo much more expensive than something slightly used is..

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Can you fit a pair of 190s in the back of an Outback, without going all diagonal?
I can fit 180cm skis in a ski bag in the back of my 2015 Outback and that's with the passenger seat set way back. So my answer would be yes.

I'd like to add that there is a big difference between the 2014 and the 2015 and newer Outbacks. The styling doesn't look much different but the little changes make a difference to my eye. The drivetrain is also much more sophisticated in the shift patterns and engine noise.

When I stared looking at new cars in 2014 the first one I drove was the 2014 Outback - I really didn't like it. I took 6 months to drive just about everything I thought would float my boat and finally came back to the 2015 Outback for one more ride. It's like a completely different car.

Both front seats are the same, heated and adjustable (for philpug). I've survived 3 round trips to Mt and wife has taken it to VT and back. 28mpg on regular gas. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Here is ours (well my Wife's) '17 Forester 2.5i Touring w/ Brown Leather interior. We love it. The Eyesight system works amazingly well. Quite useful on the seemingly endless straightaways on i10 and i25 through the desert SW.

17358585_10158343451350371_4271566038291762269_o.jpg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
My focus shifted from Forester to Crosstrek. I'm not usually into features and gadgets, but Eyesight has some appeal. It's where all vehicles are headed. Getting it now seems like a good thing.