• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

After 500

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Taught about 500 hours in the last three and a half months and I've observed that there are several "fundamentals" that seem to come up in every lesson. Thought I would put some of them down here for postarity and all.

Skiing is a sport about going and on skis going is gliding, gliding is the sensation of the ski tracking more forward than sideways. Without glide the tool on your foot won't function as designed.

The tool on our foot is a marvel of design. It works with our anatomy, the snow surface, the slope and our momentum to produce a force to propel me to where I want to go. Allow it do its job it does it really well no force necessary. And don't use a professional grade french chefs knife to chop down a tree. The knife isn't designed to be an ax and the ski if not designed to be a brake, you can use it that way but that's equipment abuse.

You can go right, go left or go straight. Beyond the wedge there should be no mixing of the three so if I want to go left I have to first cease going right. I can do this all at once or I can release/direct different body parts at separate times but I need a plan so that when the last bit (my foot maybe) goes left that ever thing else is also going left.

That's all for now, I'll try to put down a couple more, got to get to at least 5, but I'm not done teaching yet and frankly I'm surprised I have the energy to write this.

uke

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
In a right wedge turn nothing goes left or goes straight......in left wedge turn nothing goes right or goes straight. So what is this mixxing you speak of?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
He said, "beyond the wedge there should be no mixing the three"

TS
U

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Josh,

A straight gliding wedge one ski tries to go left one tries to go right. A little of this mix goes on in any wedge turn until the inside big toe edge is fully released and parallel is achieved. This opposition is what gives us the speed moderation of the wedge stance.

uke