Affordable start-up ski gear ideas

Discussion in 'New to Skiing?' started by Tricia, Mar 21, 2017.

1. skibob

skibob Out on the slopes Skier

I was going to mention Kinco too. An instructor turned me on to them years ago. I was skeptical, but they were cheap. Holy cow! The only downside is I needed to buy some lighter gloves too. Not just for spring skiing, but for 35 degree days because the Kinco are SO warm.

Magi likes this.
  2. quant

quant Just go down. Skier

Gloves: KINCO can't be beaten for the price. The pigskin is stiff and it takes a while to soften, but you can't beat the price. Also, Free the Powder has factory seconds for $39.95. That is a lot of glove for the money.

Goggles: Much of the optical industry is largely owned by one vertically integrated company, the Luxottica Group, S.p.A. (Lenscrafters, Oakley, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Sunglass Hut, Ray-Ban and a whole lot more). One unknown brand Luxottica owns is Arnette, and you can find Arnette goggles on eBay and through SnowDealsNow for as low as $19.99 with replacement lenses for $6 or so. These are the equivalent (IMHO) of $75 - $100 goggles that fit my family's Carrera, Bolle and Briko helmets without gaps. Not the best lenses, but very good lenses at a great price for models a few years old. I skied with a pair this spring and believe Arnette is a great value.