• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Affordable ski jacket?!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
*shrug* my regular cycling balaclava does a great job for skiing already - what problem does this one address?

Same here. I either use that or my trusty, old (I clean it!) cheapo fleece neck gaiter.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's taken me a little while catching up on this thread. There is a lot of great insight here. Thanks @Alexzn for sharing your daughters ideal jacket. The Antero 2+ has a lot of those features. We are lacking on the poweder skirt, pass pocket and flattering ladies cut. We could custom make them for her team if they needed something like that. Let me know if you want some details.

Thanks @RNZ for letting me know what you like and dislike. I had no idea how real the struggle is for women's jackets. I have a lot of questions on this topic and I'm hoping all the lady skiers can educate me. First question: Girl's cut, lady's cut, women's cut or what should it be called? Badass sheila shell?

We can make jackets to your specs within reason. We can take an existing design and tweak it. I'm going to open a new thread once I know what to call it. In this thread I want all the ladies to tell me what they would like/not like in a jacket and then we'll build them for you. I'll start it once I know what the female specific jacket style should be called.

For layering on cold days I use powerwool next to skin, then merino wool, then R1 fleece and then either Neoshell or Polartec Windbloc for the outer.
Warm days poly next to skin, merino wool and then outerlayer. If I open my vents before I sweat I am happy all day.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheBestSkier , you need women consultants from Pugski! ogsmile

Same reason retailers struggle so much, guys have 3 (?) shapes .. skinny, athletic and beer lovers. most us don't care too greatly on style or perfect fit. Women have (via Wikipedia - Lee) 7 body shapes and paired with every combo of length for each part - legs, torso, waist, etc. Back in college I used to stock at a retail store - big matrix of cuts for same jeans.

I know first hand how my spouse would have to look at the doz or more cuts on the same jeans and then buy only those. JC Penny's used to advertise their span of cuts on their home brand.

but it does make women more interesting! ogwink

"Lee's 2007 paper proposes the following formula be used to identify an individual's body type:

Hourglass
If (bust − hips) ≤ 1" AND (hips − bust) < 3.6" AND (bust − waist) ≥ 9" OR (hips − waist) ≥ 10"
Bottom hourglass
If (hips − bust) ≥ 3.6" AND (hips − bust) < 10" AND (hips − waist) ≥ 9" AND (high hip/waist) < 1.193
Top hourglass
If (bust − hips) > 1" AND (bust − hips) < 10" AND (bust − waist) ≥ 9"
Spoon
If (hips − bust) > 2" AND (hips − waist) ≥ 7" AND (high hip/waist) ≥ 1.193
Triangle
If (hips − bust) ≥ 3.6" AND (hips − waist) < 9"
Inverted triangle
If (bust − hips) ≥ 3.6" AND (bust − waist) < 9"
Rectangle
If (hips − bust) < 3.6" AND (bust − hips) < 3.6" AND (bust − waist) < 9" AND (hips − waist) < 10" "​

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
@TheBestSkier If you're making the jackets for girls, by all means call them "girls" sizes. But if they are for grownups, please call them "women's."

I am short-waisted, a little wider in the gut than I'd like, and long-armed and -legged. When a jacket is long enough in the sleeves, it is often too long in the torso, covering my butt and if it were an inch or more longer, interfering with leg movement. I'd love it if a jacket flared slightly at the hips, but could be cinched tighter.

But you can't make something for every possible body shape . . .*shrug.*

Anne

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Dwight you just click on the image on the email and it will take you to the site via hyper-link if you go through Active Junky, you need to enter the STP code (see above) which is located towards the bottom of the email ad when you check out. .

— STAY CONNECTED —

If you have questions, please call 1-800-713-4534 and please mention keycode EGY5961P.

*Valid within the 48 contiguous U.S. and APO/FPO addresses only (EXCLUDES AK, HI, OFFSHORE U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND INTERNATIONAL). Order Sub-Total in the cart must be at least $100.00 excluding tax and shipping for offer to apply. Use links in email to activate discount. Limit 3 orders. Orders shipped via UPS GROUND. Not valid on oversized items or orders or items with special shipping charges. For APO/FPO addresses, expedited and express ship methods are currently not available and standard delivery timeframes do not apply. Gift card purchase does not apply to minimum purchase. Not valid with other keycode offers. Previous orders will not be adjusted. Expires at 11:59pm (MST) Thursday, December 15, 2016.

**Discount will be applied at checkout on select items. Order Sub-Total excludes tax and shipping charges. Discount is at least 15% off our regular prices when order Sub-Total is $75.00 to $99.99; 20% off when order Sub-Total is $100.00 to $124.99; or 25% off when order Sub-Total is $125.00 or more. Gift card purchase does not apply to minimum purchase. Use links in email to activate discount. Limit 3 orders. Not valid with other keycode offers. Cannot be applied to past orders. Expires at 11:59pm (MST) Thursday, December 15, 2016.

†For delivery of in-stock items by Saturday, December 24, 2016, the standard ground shipping deadline is 12/19/2016 at 11:59pm (MST). Domestic two-day air upgrade costs $5 in addition to standard ground shipping rates. Upgrade offer ends 12/19/2016 at 11:59pm (MST). Standard and two-day air shipping dates and times are valid for addresses within the 48 contiguous U.S. (EXCLUDES AK, HI, OFFSHORE U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS, INTERNATIONAL AND APO/FPO ADDRESSES). Allow additional delivery time for oversized items, oversized orders or items with special shipping charges; the deadlines listed may not apply. Sierra Trading Post is not responsible for shipping delays caused by inclement weather, email or computer malfunctions or any other causes beyond our control.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, have to go through the email. Found my in spam. Thanks for the heads up.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@TheBestSkier If you're making the jackets for girls, by all means call them "girls" sizes. But if they are for grownups, please call them "women's."

I am short-waisted, a little wider in the gut than I'd like, and long-armed and -legged. When a jacket is long enough in the sleeves, it is often too long in the torso, covering my butt and if it were an inch or more longer, interfering with leg movement. I'd love it if a jacket flared slightly at the hips, but could be cinched tighter.

But you can't make something for every possible body shape . . .*shrug.*

Anne

Anne if you want to PM me some measurements I can see if we already have something that would fit you. If not it'll be added to the list of to be built jacket shapes.

I need:
Height?
Pants inseam?
Waist?
Center of armpit to center of armpit across front? Back?
End of shoulder to end of shoulder?
Bottom of neck to top of belt?
End of shoulder to end of wrist?
Any other measurement that you feel is relevant.

Thanks,
Kyle

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron thanks a lot for the active junky info. Purchased a new coat for the daughter and a saved $50 using your codes and signing up for active junky.

Reactions: Ron

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
The key word was "affordable"! How did this thread go 5 pages without anyone suggesting cutting the hole (for your head) out of an Ikea shopping bag?

The Jazzed up version of that thought:

ikea-raincoat-1.jpg

And for the pooch:

DogRainCoat.jpg

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah, that bag doesn't breathe very well.

Yes. ^^ There is a price for cheap and there is another price for expensive. The price you pay for the 2 are distinct, different and separate from each other. I have paid both prices. Many times over. From my experience, Goodwill is one of THE best places to find the sweet spot where the twain meet.

But that's a whole nother story.

OldSchool47

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Enough of this unisex crap. Men and women: different genders, different ski jackets.

Tangential observation. The people currently running freestyle skiing should resurrect ballet for women. Not men.

suzy.jpg

Sponsor