• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aesthetic Skiing

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
That's the way I've been trying to ski all along. Don't have any video, so I don't know to what extent I'm succeeding.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Looks pretty good to me.
I think most old people would wish they could ski like this.

I don't know how most of the old people ski out there. Don't really hang out with them. However, most of the old people I skied with at Taos are already there. The soft and easy feeling is what we strive for when the innate athleticism has got up and gone long ago.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If you spend any time in Austria a lot of the older German and Austrian skiers still ski like that . Old school tight Arlberg stance, €20 note between their arse cheeks. Zell is also not known as a ripper's resort so you can sort of see it pandering to a demographic.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Never really thought about it much, I just try to ski smoothly and have a good time. I've had several people over the years (usually at DV, for some reason) tell me how much they enjoyed watching me ski; but maybe that's just the tie-dye jacket. Somebody I met in the parking lot at PCMR this past season that skied with me for the afternoon told me he thought I had a beautiful ski style which was certainly unexpected but appreciated. I no longer obsess about how far apart my feet might be, or making sure that my hand position is just so; just concentrating on enjoying hauling around outdoors and staying stoked...
:huh:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Attributing the style to Germans and Austrians is ok. But, I'm reminded of a PA examiner this past Spring remarking about how a skier was skiing the New Jersey style. The style was certainly unique and entertaining to watch. But, hey, I'm from New Jersey and, unless one is from New Jersey, one should never ever use the n-word. :)

I don't get the use of 'aesthetic', as if only one style is aesthetic.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Unless I'm skiing something at or beyond my wheelhouse I'd rather look smooth and elegant than be perfect from an optimal and motion analysis standpoint. I also like my gear to look good and match skis, boots, poles, bindings same color scheme.. also try to match the jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, eye gear all color coordinated as much as possible.

I also ski FAST and smooth..

73586_172362362779310_7638229_n.jpg

Full disclosure, was transitioning to shape skis when this photo was taken many years ago. Have a little more space between the knees now, but not much. Still go for style over function unless I'm in a course.

Chriscray

Booting up
Skier
Aesthetic? I'm confused also. That looked too controlled, almost like all the PSIA instructors that have to ski together in formation all the exact same way. It's cool to see....once!

If aesthetic means having good ski skills, than yes, I see that.

Anytime you are having fun doing what you like to do and with your style (plus skills), that is aesthetic.

Chriscray

Booting up
Skier
Aesthetic? I'm confused also. That looked too controlled, almost like all the PSIA instructors that have to ski together in formation all the exact same way. It's cool to see....once!

If aesthetic means having good ski skills, than yes, I see that.

Anytime you are having fun doing what you like to do and with your style (plus skills), that is aesthetic.

I just thought of this:

Aesthetic is like watching a good dancer. There are many ways to dance.

The PSIA crew doing their demonstration (hope I don't piss anyone off here..ogwink) roughly equates to line dancing!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just thought of this:

The PSIA crew doing their demonstration (hope I don't piss anyone off here..ogwink) roughly equates to line dancing!
Actually that was my first thought. I am a theater teacher and all art is evaluated on aesthetics. I guess you can apply it to a sport also, but I'm not sure that will ever be a truly accurate description. It just doesn't make senses as a priority- efficiency yes, finesse yes, but aesthetics?

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just thought of this:

Nice comparison. I was thinking about the difference between ballet and gymnastics. I like skiing that looks fluid and effortless. To me that is aesthetically more pleasing to watch. That may be why I like Mikaella's slalom skiing more than anybody else's and why I prefer Henrik over Marcel and Harald over any other skier who uses PMTS.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I just thought of this:

No offense taken, but I'd say, look harder. It's pretty easy to pick out individual demo team members. They each have their 'tell'. Same with pretty much every divisional staff member around here. I can look up the hill and quickly tell who's who in a couple of turns. but no big deal one way or the other...

Chriscray

Booting up
Skier
No offense taken, but I'd say, look harder. It's pretty easy to pick out individual demo team members. They each have their 'tell'. Same with pretty much every divisional staff member around here. I can look up the hill and quickly tell who's who in a couple of turns. but no big deal one way or the other...

I will watch better next time. It has been probably 10 years since I watched that last. Now I'm curious to see if I can make out that "tell"!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Absolutely. I find that skiing is like ballroom dancing, not that other dances don't help develop necessary skills for skiing as well. And, I even ask others to look at the field of snow as a dance floor, with a critical eye to where the fall line is, which is the over-arching direction we move toward in our dance.

. I was thinking about the difference between ballet and gymnastics.

Yes! Both are great analogies. In particular, I like ballet, since there's no tumbling. The separation of upper and lower body, yet the focus on controlling both, and the physical strength and skills, for me, they correlate to skiing.