• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review A Layman's Look at 2018 Skis from SIA Copper

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Once again, SIA was a gear geek’s delight! It was a hard snow experience at SIA at Copper this year (well, mostly -- Kevin and I stole a few stash turns off of Sierra lift; it can’t all be workworkwork…). We took the all-mountain offerings off piste, but there weren’t any distracting rope drops like there were the last couple of years at Copper. Ah well.

Accessibility continues to be the theme in the industry, with many skis getting lighter and easier to maneuver for a larger range of skiers. Some companies manage the "accessibilizing" quite well, preserving the power in a ski while making it easier to use. Others ... well, maybe they went a little too far and risk losing the original target skier, in an attempt to attract more skiers.

It was also the most puzzling year I have seen at SIA. @SkiNurse often has trouble finding skis in her size, but her size is 4’13.5”, a small demographic (sorry) (ok, not really). I had trouble at a very run of the mill 5’10”, sometimes because what I wanted was out on the hill, which is nothing new, but too often because what I needed simply didn’t exist. That theme will rear its head below.

We even ran into skis that simply weren’t finished and ended up in the reps' tents when they should not have been handed to people that are either reviewing them or, even worse, using SIA to make purchase choices for their shops. Every year SIA seems to catch some companies with their pants down, but this year stands out.

Sub-85mm Skis

Atomic Redster S9
Dimensions: 119.5-68-97.5
Radius: 13.3m@171cm
Size tested: 171
Design: All New

This was probably the strongest ski I tested. With a 68mm waist and a 13.3m radius, and that much power, it has one trick: laying trenches, early and often. It might have the most even flex of any ~13m ski I have been on. Super smooth, regardless of the turn size you dial in. It doesn’t bite at you, or throw you off as you tighten the turn; it just obeys your command and holds. And holds. The S9 dares you to lay it over, inviting you to see how long your legs can handle putting maximum effort into each turn. What an exciting ski!

This personality is a blast, even as it wears you down. While not in the same category, two other skis I have been on that encourage you to shorten your day by giving it your all are the Völkl RTM 86 UVO and the original Kästle MX98. It isn’t a bad thing, but it’s good to know before you plop down the money for it. @Drahtguy Kevin is a bigger fellow, and he didn’t have to put quite so many calories into bending it.
  • Who is it for? Fit and enthusiastic frontside skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Lightweight couch potatoes; this ski rewards skill, or strength, or (preferably) both.
  • Insider tip: Start your wall sits now.

Dynastar Legend X84

Dimensions: 123-84-106
Radius: 17m@177cm
Size tested: 177

You can probably tell that I put a lot of value in how a modern ski displays a willingness to turn. That’s the point of these newfangled parabolic skis, right? On the front side, the Legend X84 displayed a frustrating reluctance to turn. It has a tip that is seemingly disinterested in initiating; patience is needed for enough pressure to build up to get the sidecut involved, and when it finally happens, there is little joie de vivre, or feedback.

The news isn’t all bad. The Legend is very competent off-piste, quick and encouraging, a good bump ski. The problem is that the Legend competes in the heart of the all-mountain segment, where plenty of skis do a very wide range of tasks, very well.
  • Who is it for? Old schoolers who steer from the tail, swishing down the piste, and who also want a friendly tool off the piste.
  • Who is it not for? Lovers of a high-G carve, PSIA instructors looking for a ski for their next level exam.
  • Insider tip: Head to the side of the trail and dip into the trees to get the most out of this latest usage of the Legend name.

Dynastar Speed Zone 12
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 15m@174cm
Size tested: 174
Design: Carryover

Dynastar has a great 75mm carver here, with a 15m radius, great snow feel (within shouting distance of the Stöckli Laser series), and even some talent in the bumps. My voice memo on the Speed Zone says “it doesn’t have quite the power of the Atomic Redster, or quite the personality of the Elan SLX, but it has a very nice blend of both.” It also has more versatility than both, although I wouldn’t quite give it one-ski-quiver status.
  • Who is it for? Frontside carvers who want a touch more versatility, without any compromise in trench-laying grins.
  • Who is it not for? Traveling skiers hoping for one ski in the bag that feels great all over the mountain.
  • Insider tip: Like the Redster and SLX, this is a ski you can trust to tell you what’s going on, giving you the data you need to make good choices. In a culture that seems gaga over lightness, it is nice to see skis like this still being made.

Elan SLX SL
Dimensions: 121-68-104
Radius: 14/12m@165cm
Size tested: 165

New for this year, Elan’s rec SL gets a three-step program for success. You can see what’s coming just by looking at the topsheet: a relatively thin and soft tip, followed by a stepped increase (near the snow "contact" point) in thickness as sheets of Titanal beef up the ski. Finally, instead of the race plate you would see in a World Cup SL, an integral full-width slab of carbon sits atop the Titanal to let you know there is some real horsepower under the hood. Weirdly, they finish it off with a non-horsepowery 12 DIN binding that left me scratching my head a little, but it didn’t spoil the fun.

The Fun.

There is a lot of that in this ski. Every year, there seems to be a "come play with me" ski that stands out (which has proved to be expensive for me in the past), and this year, particularly among the skis under 80 mm, this is it. If the stepped-thickness technique was an attempt to make an aggressive shape accessible, then this is a great example of accessibility done right. For all the power this thing has, all the immediacy of response to tipping on edge, it is oh-so-intuitive to decide how much of that power gets used. Feedback is immediate, but not brutal: it is delivered with a Coke and a smile, not a … whatever the opposite of a Coke and a smile is.
  • Who is it for? Skilled folks that want a big grin, not a big workout.
  • Who is it not for? The heavy and aggressive. With the 12 DIN binding on board, you may run out of retention as you dial in the Gs.
  • Insider tip: No great mystery to reveal here; click in and let the good times roll.

Head Supershape iTitan
Dimensions: 138-81-118
Radius: 15m@177cm

I picked this as my reference ski, a ski I knew from last year and could use to get a feel for the snow conditions, then use as a benchmark for everything else to follow. It is a hard act to follow; it is a great ski on sale this year, and Head was wise enough to leave it alone for next year. At 81mm underfoot and a 15m sidecut, it boasts fantastic hard-snow chops; it initiates the new turn with just a whiff of tipping onto edge, then pulls across the hill with power and enthusiasm. The fun continues off piste, as it excels with maneuverability and composure that is beyond its mission statement. If I had not tracked down and purchased the Blossom White Out in the off season, this would be my top pick for the narrow end of a two-ski travel quiver, no question.
  • Who is it for? Skilled pilots wanting versatility out of a carver, and improving skiers that need immediate feedback as they try new techniques.
  • Who is it not for? Lazy skiers. This is a highly trained Vizsla, not a lap dog.
  • Insider tip: This ski can be skied a size longer, and still feel nimble; I thought I was on the 170, until I looked at the tail and saw the 177. Yet, far from being skittish, it was merely quick (while being very confidence inspiring).

Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 16.3m@176cm
Size tested: 176

Between getting on some "mulligan skis" (see LINK) and some other skis that just left me scratching my head, I needed some me time, and I needed it on a sure thing. The MX84 is a carryover from last year, but I didn’t get on it then, so it was waiting for me when I went in search of a hug.

Mmmm….

The MX84 is Kästle smoothness with a spicy 16m sidecut. Groomed? Yup. Crud? Certainly. Bumps? Yes, please. Strong, quick, predictable, stable; I would be a poor fella if I had to pay into some kind of "cliché superlative swear jar" while describing this ski.
  • Who is it for? If you want a winner and are willing to pay for it, the MX is in that very small club.
  • Who is it not for? Snowboarders.
  • Insider tip: Kästle (and Stöckli, and Renoun) are dangerous skis to try; the experience can take you to dark corners of your mind: “which of my children do I like less? I could be skiing on this if I give him/her up .…”

K2 iKonic 80Ti
Dimensions: 129-80-108
Radius: 17.5m@177cm

K2 iKonic 84Ti
Dimensions:133-84-112
Radius: 17.5m@177cm

K2 continues to chip away at the gap between itself and companies with race-bred frontside skis. Its story for next year is the iKonic series. Both skis tested have the same length, same sidecut, and 4 mm separating them. I’m told there is a variance in construction, but it seemed too slight to tell much of a difference. They come across as competent, if not thrilling, all-mountain skis. While they lack the excitement and personality of the Head Titan, they are more balanced than the Dynastar Legend or the Salomon XDR, in that they more thoroughly complete the mission of an all-mountain ski, with fewer shortcomings. Both iKonics have decent turn initiation, power in the belly of the turn, and strong and predictable flex on and off piste.
  • Who is it for? Skier ISO playmate without split personalities, or unpleasant surprises.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who has heard of Völkl, Head, Atomic, Kästle, or Stöckli.
  • Insider tip: The iKonics ski true to length; when in doubt, go with your default length.

K2 Turbo Charger
Dimensions: 129-72-107
Radius: 13m@165cm
Size tested: 165

K2 is getting seriouser, at long last. This season, it offered the Super Charger, a mid-70s hard-snow chisel with a 17m sidecut. For next year, it will add the Turbo Charger, 72mm underfoot and a 13m radius in the 165 length (the only length available to test, maybe the only length we will see?). It felt like a "gentle" 13m ski, a few ticks down in immediacy (in terms of turn initiation and enthusiasm to move the skier across the hill) from 66mm WC/recreation SLs. Once the tip starts the party and the sidecut joins in, it is a powerful ski that will hold at high edge angles, while offering stability as you play with shaping the turn, mid-turn. Like the Super Charger (and the Dynastar Speed Zone, and the Atomic Redster S9), it is pretty focused, however, and you won’t get much more versatility out of it than you would a rec SL.
  • Who is it for? Tight-turning-carver folks who don’t want the frenetic response of a race ski.
  • Who is it not for? That guy or gal who skis all of the mountain, and has one ski to do it with.
  • Insider tip: This "gentle 13m" would be a good ski to experiment with vis à vis tunes; it felt like a ski you could safely ease into a more aggressive tune, versus a race ski that is already dialed to 11.

Salomon XDR 80 Ti
Dimensions: 126-80-109
Radius: 14m@176cm

I asked the Salomon rep what the radius was, and he replied, “16ish?” So when he explained to me that the metal that is only under the bindings is not a binding mat like other manufacturers use, but a sheet of metal in its own right, I felt free to be skeptical. He also told me that this ski is both lighter than last year’s X-Drive series (not surprising, the X-Drive was a strong ski with actual full sheets of Titanal), and more torsionally rigid.

Well, he was right about the latter. Once the tip engaged and the XDR was on edge, it held very well. In fact, it reminded me of the Völkl RTM 86 UVO in this regard. They both feel immune to increasing edge angle, they just hold, and hold, and hold. It’s a cool sensation.

Where it didn’t feel like the RTM 86 UVO was in dampness in choppy snow, or off piste. Here, the lack of metal makes itself felt, and it has a limited speed/comfort level when compared to skis that keep the sheets of Titanal in their construction. It is fine for low-speed off-trail exploration, but for motoring through crud and bumps, something with more grunt would be desired.
  • Who is it for? Folks who appreciate a carved turn but don’t want a heavy ski to do it with.
  • Who is it not for? The guy or gal that wants to rage through irregular snow at mach schnell.
  • Insider tip: Keep the XDR on edge to take advantage of its unique strengths.

Stöckli Stormrider 83
Dimensions: 126-83-109
Radius: 17.2m@174cm
Size tested: 174

The SR 83 is sublime. Few skis combine strength and maneuverability with smoothness as well as this lil' guy. Yes, you pay a good bit for it, but in return you get a 17.2m ski that tightens up the radius eagerly, yet with a silky feel. It and the SR 88 seem to have this magic ability to give you as much performance as you need with the minimum of effort. I have been enjoying this phenomenon for four years now at SIA, and any time during the test that I feel glum, or unattractive, or not well-liked by my friends, I know I can get on a Stormrider and immediately feel confident, handsome, and popular. I’m being silly, but only a little bit.

This ski is also fairly light. I normally don’t find that to be a good trait for a ski that I ride inbounds, but Stöckli bills this as a touring ski. Skis that go down as well as they go up (on your own power) are rare indeed; scroll to Head’s Kore to see the only other ski in this test that has that combo of loveliness.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who wants the very best feel, and can afford it.
  • Who is it not for? Hmmm. Still thinking ....
  • Insider tip: If the Stormrider 83 is too expensive for you, work harder!

Völkl Kanjo
Dimensions: 123-84-104
Radius: 21.6m@182cm
Size Tested: 182

The Kanjo has a stated sidecut of 21.6 m, and it feels every bit of it. At 84 mm underfoot, it is a bit of a head-scratcher. In my voice memo, I called it “the most leisurely all mountain ski." Most skis this width are tighter turning by design, but the Kanjo requires some additional steering to keep the speed down, or some extra room to roam. It wants to motor. Motoring is pleasant on the Kanjo, however; it has a strong, damp construction and feels stable at speed and in choppy off-piste conditions, like Sail Away Glades.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados who prefer a narrower ski. Imagine a current Bonafide that is 84 mm underfoot.
  • Who is it not for? All-mountain skiers who have a strong focus on the front side -- unless you’re a midweek skier with lots of space to yourself.
  • Insider tip: You might have guessed by now, the Kanjo skis long. Feel free to size down without worrying if you will end up with a skittish ride.

[See subsequent post for 85+mm skis and the Mulligan Pile.]

Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
85+mm Skis

Atomic Vantage 90 CTi
Dimensions: 133.5-90-117
Radius: 16.9m@176cm

This is a great choice, unchanged for next year. With Head "accessibilizing" the Monster 88, I put this at the top of the heap for a non-premium 88ish ski (the Stöckli Stormrider 88 is tops if you are going to reach deeper into your wallet). It responds to all the things a good instructor would have you do, and does so on a very broad spectrum of terrain. Turn initiation is intuitive all over the mountain; it offers a smooth, damp ride in choppy snow; and its 16.9m radius is energetic on groomers.

While riding Sierra lift, @Drahtguy Kevin and I spotted what looked like fresh wind-loading on Union Peak. The poma wasn’t running, so we hiked up and got 6 inches of fresh for a few turns, followed by soft bumps, then a chopped-up groomer runout back to the lift. The Vantage was the perfect weapon for such an adventure, yay.
  • Who is it for? Technically proficient skiers who can make use of its talents, but it is forgiving enough for advancing skiers to grow into as well.
  • Who is it not for? Folks needing a lighter ski to maneuver. This is a fairly traditional construction with a fair amount of Titanal, so it is a little heavier than some of the other 88s.
  • Insider tip: The Vantage doesn’t ski short; the 176 felt plenty stable, a very different experience from the 175cm Stormrider 95.

Blizzard Bonafide

Dimensions: 135-98-119
Radius: 18m@180cm
Size tested: 180

The first-generation Bonafide, and Blizz’s Flipcore line, was created with the late Arne Backstrom’s input to be a strong off-piste bruiser. The second generation was more of the same, with a carbon tip that supplied the same power and even more bite at the beginning of the turn. For next year, the 3rd-gen Bone gets a healthy dose of accessiblilty, to the delight of many and the disappointment of some.

The turn radius gets tightened from 20 m down to 18. It was hard to tell, though, because the tip has been softened, and doesn’t pull into the new turn as aggressively as the old one. On snow, it didn’t feel as connected, just a bit less communication than the previous two generations. In return, it is a bit quicker to maneuver in general, and pivot in particular. This will be desired by a lot of folks, but some of the original demographic may end up haunting Craigslist and eBay for a minty 2nd gen in the years to come. For the most part, however, the Bone remains a competent 98mm off-piste weapon, a great choice for crud and pow -- especially if you are traveling and don’t have the luxury of a big quiver to choose from.
  • Who is it for? Folks that felt the Bonafide was just a bit too much for them. Rejoice, accessibility has reached this venerable legend.
  • Who is it not for? Chargers who detest any hint of a lightweight feel in their lift-served skiing.
  • Insider tip: With this incoming generation, the Bonafide is at a fork in the road; if you like the path it is currently on, start stocking up; next year brings a new direction.

Head Kore 93
Dimensions: 133-93-115
Radius: 16.4m@180cm
Size tested: 180

The Kore series is the replacement for the Flight series, Head’s lightweight off-piste/touring ski. I admit, for riding the chair up the hill, I don’t get too excited about the manufacturers that are all wound up about adding lightness, and the Kore had me less than stoked, but I heard whispers of "whole ‘nother animal," and gave it a try.

Wow.

I got off the Kore 93 and scurried over to the Nordica tent to snatch a pair of 185 Enforcer 93s for a run or two, just to make sure I wasn’t out of my mind.

Nope, mind intact (well, mostly…). I am a fan of the Enforcer 93/100, have been since it was introduced, but for the things I would want out of a mid-90s ski, I would take the Kore.

Heresy! Nevertheless, Head has seemingly done what nobody else is truly nailing: a lighter ski that doesn’t sacrifice feel and communication. Its off-piste performance is fun and confident; back on the trail, it has a turn initiation and sidecut shape worthy of the Head name*. The Kore gets the Most Pleasant Surprise of the Year medal, no contest. I would have liked to try the Kore 105, but we didn’t have the soft snow for it. I sure do hope to get on it in the future, however.

*Weirdly, the really cool looking black topsheet offers no dimensions, and the reps awkwardly admitted they didn’t know the actual sidecut/dims. I’d put it in the realm of 16-18 m.
  • Who is it for? Lightweight schmightweight: it’s for folks looking for a wide 88, or narrow 98, and want solid performance, period.
  • Who is it not for? True 11/10th heavyweights. It is impressive, but it has to start obeying physics at some point, and that probably starts somewhere north of a 200-lb skier.
  • Insider tip: The 180 didn’t ski short; don’t feel like you need to size up as a default.

Head Monster 88

Dimensions: 133-88-120
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Size tested: 184
Design: New Construction

Next year is the third year for the "new" Monster series -- or maybe it is the beginning of a second two-year product cycle? It looks the same, it’s shaped with the same radius, but for 2018, it gets a lightened and softened tip, much like the Bonafide. And, much like the Bonafide, it will probably appeal to more skiers, but it feels like change for the sake of change rather than actual improvement.

To me, it feels like it has an incremental ease of use, but also a sacrifice in power, both in the beginning of the turn and through the chop. Like the Bonafide, it is still on the power end of its segment, but … but. The current Monster 88 felt like a better Kästle MX88 when it came out, and I wrote as much two years ago. If James May were a skier, he might say that this latest Monster lacks some of the fizz of the outgoing one.
  • Who is it for? Intermediate/advanced skiers moving up from milder, price-point all-mountain skis.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates not moving up; it’s still a strong ski.
  • Insider tip: Now more than before, sizing up could be the way to go, don’t be skeered.

The Mulligan Pile

Here are the skis that weren’t ready. They are important to each manufacturer, so hopefully a redux in the future will provide a clear picture of what finished, or right-sized, versions of these skis are all about.

Fischer Curv 80 (182)
I skied it, but I will hold off on reviewing it for now because this ski wasn’t ready and should not have been put in the tent for testing. It felt… weird. The Curv series is a Big Thing for Fischer; we shall see how it skis when they pull it back out of the oven.

Nordica Navigator 85 (179)
The rep at the Nordica tent handed me a pair, so I clicked in and headed off for the American Flyer lift. The tune was horrible, the worst I experienced this year. Grip was impossible to find; it didn’t even feel safe. I returned to the tent, handed back the skis, and warned the rep of the tune issue. The manufacturers aren’t doing themselves any favors when they put a ski like this in circulation.

Normally, I would go back the next day and try again, but instead I am waiting for a chance to get on Pugskis’s prototype demo. I’ll report back after I have a go at it.

Stöckli Stormrider 95 (175)
Stöckli only brought the 175, unfortunately. For 2018, it is going with 175 and 184 and ditching the 192 length. I heard that there was only one pair of 184s on this side of the pond, and it hasn’t been mounted with bindings yet because it was at their display in the convention center. The 175 has a very short wheelbase and more rocker than the 174 SR 83, and it felt squirrelly by comparison. It will probably be a year before I get on the 184; stay tuned.

Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews. Your descriptions are fantastic, a perfect read to go along with my morning coffee.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always feel entertained and informed when I read your reviews.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Supershape iTitan

At 81mm underfoot and a 15m sidecut, it boasts fantastic hard-snow chops; it initiates the new turn with just a whiff of tipping onto edge, then pulls across the hill with power and enthusiasm. The fun continues off piste, as it excels with maneuverability and composure that is beyond its mission statement.

+1

My firm snow daily driver, and I could not agree more with this description.

I was NOT expecting the off-piste performance that it provides.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice reviews!
Any thoughts on Stockli SR 83 vs Kastle MX 84? 174cm, 176cm

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost bought a mint used set of SR83 174 last week, but didn't pull the trigger on them.
I was very curious to try them against my Scale Delta 177cm , also 83mm wide

The SR83 are very light -> at 174cm they weigh a mere 3.12 kg = 6.86 lbs
My Scale Delta 177 weigh in at 3.95 kg = 8.69 lbs
The MX84 176 weigh in at 3.89 kg = 8.55 lbs

Having ridden the MX84 176, I would think the SR83 would be completely different feeling ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Having ridden the MX84 176, I would think the SR83 would be completely different feeling ski.

It is, more relaxed and easier but still having the refinement you expect from a Stockli.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I found the new Bonafide a more 'nuanced' ride than the old, and better engaging above the fall line, both very good things IMHO, but I might be an outlier or just ski weird. It's the first Bonafide I could enthusiastically own.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Nice reviews!
Any thoughts on Stockli SR 83 vs Kastle MX 84? 174cm, 176cm

James, they are pretty diffèrent! The MX is limitless power, closer to the group of skis I categorize as 'calorie burning', it encourages power and chutzpah. The SR83 is very easy going, lots of ease of deciding how much power to use. It's more like your old FX84, first gen. Good snow feel like the first gen FX as well.

Speaking of snow feel, it's not like Kastle has lost their way or anything, but Stockli seems to have the snow feel thing more dialed over last three or four years. A little more communication, a little more ease of accessing the performance, a little more buttery, even though they are lighter.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sounds like they really need to be demoed. Loved the MX83.
Speaking of snow feel, it's not like Kastle has lost their way or anything
Well the FX95HP got a shot of novacaine. "Is that dirt up ahead? Ah..won't feel a thing" The previous version fx94 was probably on Fentanyl. The 95 hp has very loud noise coming out of the skis. Like tempered metal and stone banging. (Not like the old Volkl Ac30 which had a hollow metal sound - like garbage cans thrown in the alley.) It's a good ski, but nothing about it gets me stirred. Nor shaken.

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
I noticed that with the fx 95hp as well. I really liked how it skied, but the tip rattle was distracting and annoying.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I almost bought a mint used set of SR83 174 last week, but didn't pull the trigger on them.
I was very curious to try them against my Scale Delta 177cm , also 83mm wide

The SR83 are very light -> at 174cm they weigh a mere 3.12 kg = 6.86 lbs
My Scale Delta 177 weigh in at 3.95 kg = 8.69 lbs
The MX84 176 weigh in at 3.89 kg = 8.55 lbs

Scale Delta? I haven't come across those yet? What more can you say about them? If nothing else, how do they compare with the MX84 that you rode?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Scale Delta? I haven't come across those yet? What more can you say about them? If nothing else, how do they compare with the MX84 that you rode?

Dawg and Wade Holiday have reviews up somewhere here.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wade's review from Epic:
http://www.epicski.com/t/144283/2015-16-stockli-scale-delta-quick-review

The Scale Delta is a narrow all-mountain ski ( 83 wide ).
I am your typical gear-aholic who likes to buy & try several skis a season just for the fun of it.
I am still smitten with my Scale Delta and it remains an anchor point in my collection of skis, many of which come & go.
I am 5'9" 165 lbs and the Scale is always a fun ride for me -> versatile in a lot of conditions IMO

The MX84 is more serious ride. Scott / Dawgcatching has some great reviews & comparisons posted here at Pugski.
I would readily buy that ski in 176, but have a few too many on the go currently, and I would think my Blossom Whiteout 176 is similarly good, but a bit narrower at 77.

One thing I like about having a quiver and quiver overlap, is that I will go to my hill with 2 or 3 skis in the back of my wagon. What do I feel like skiing that day ? I can enjoy the day equally on something like a Volkl GS UVO, Blossom Whiteout, Scale Delta, or Motive 95, and will usually swap out skis just for a change of flavour.

Last edited:
TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Wade's review from Epic:
http://www.epicski.com/t/144283/2015-16-stockli-scale-delta-quick-review

The Scale Delta is a narrow all-mountain ski ( 83 wide ).
I am your typical gear-aholic who likes to buy & try several skis a season just for the fun of it.
I am still smitten with my Scale Delta and it remains an anchor point in my collection of skis, many of which come & go.
I am 5'9" 165 lbs and the Scale is always a fun ride for me -> versatile in a lot of conditions IMO

The MX84 is more serious ride. Scott / Dawgcatching has some great reviews & comparisons posted here at Pugski.
I would readily buy that ski in 176, but have a few too many on the go currently, and I would think my Blossom Whiteout 176 is similarly good, but a bit narrower at 77.

One thing I like about having a quiver and quiver overlap, is that I will go to my hill with 2 or 3 skis in the back of my wagon. What do I feel like skiing that day ? I can enjoy the day equally on something like a Volkl GS UVO, Blossom Whiteout, Scale Delta, or Motive 95, and will usually swap out skis just for a change of flavour.

OK, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The Scale Delta sounds really intriguing, I don't want to really guess at how it compares to the SR83, but it almost has to be beefier, simply because Stockli markets the SR as a touring ski. Great, now I need to find a way to get on them. :beercheer:

I should get around to selling a few, but I have several overlapping-y skis that I have taken to the hill and been on a couple of them in one day. Blizzard WC SL, Head Rally, Stockli OTWO, MX78 (very non-novocaine Kastles), White Out. The last two are a good example of different flavor, for sure.

Having the opportunity to test many similar skis teaches me a lot about ski personalities, makes me wonder how many folks haven't found their match yet. We may need a ski dating website. Oh wait, we're on it...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very well-written reviews. Much better than the ski mags.

We have quite a few excellent skiers who are good at discerning and describing differences among skis. I'm grateful to all of them for whatever they share. What follows is in no way a criticism of their contributions.

FairToMiddlin' is the most entertaining and accomplished review writer, with a knack for the accurate yet unexpected phrase. In particular I love his use of oblique analogy to get at the "personality" of a ski. I also like his unapologetic subjectivity and willingness to judge, even when I disagree. For sure his reviews are the ones I look forward to the most.