• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Frame - dilema

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Except her knees are trashed. I'd argue that while she skied effectively, her A-framing was not structurally/biomechanically sound, and was a root cause of shortening her career and (relative) lack of success in tech. But I'm not a medical professional, nor a bricklayer. :)
From A-framing?

James

Out There
Instructor
I suspect the violent crashes did more damage than A-framing.

0:50
Repeated several times in her career, causing injuries needing surgery.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
From A-framing?

In my non medically trained opinion, yes. Stacked bones/joints are strong. A framing isn't. I can't imagine that her tendons, etc... aren't carrying more load than if her alignment was better. Again, 'effective' vs. 'biomechanically efficient'. This takes nothing away from her accomplishments. It's only an amateur's opinion. I'd also contend that many of the crashes were resultant from lateral alignment issues... dunno for a fact. These are my thoughts only, and as said earlier. For fun, I'll run it by a friend who's worked with WC athletes. Might be interesting to hear her thoughts.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
For fun, I'll run it by a friend who's worked with WC athletes. Might be interesting to hear her thoughts.
It would indeed.

I'd also contend that many of the crashes were resultant from lateral alignment issues... dunno for a fact.
Not from decision-making re. risk?

It's only an amateur's opinion.

If an instructor's opinion is amateur, here's some questions that aren't even that:

If A-framing is a disadvantage in tech and inefficient, why do Vlhova and Gisin apparently choose to do it in slalom when they are perfectly capable of not doing it in other disciplines?

Is it "biomechanically sound" for someone whose physiology predisposes them to A-framing to force themselves not to?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I doubt that Vonn had any weight on the inside ski, which is not stacked properly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Vonn has a large Q angle, she’s also bigger than most women.

IMG_1253.jpeg

We calling this A-framing?
The non parallel shins there just get more non parallel as the turn progresses because the parts need places to go.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1691705476678.png

This is ^^ deliberate A-framing. Maybe a new term is needed in the modern era.

Sponsor

Staff online