• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4/23: Northstar Closing Day Tailgate Party.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:yeah:

Thanks to Phil and Tricia for an awesome day. Cool to meet more ski people in real life!

I'll be at alpine meadows for my last day of the season tomorrow. Let me know if you want to do a couple runs together.... hoping to go back to ny with a decent goggle tan...

:Cristmassnow:
What time are you and @skibob meeting up? Still trying to sort things out here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wish I could have been there for the whole party, but glad to hit it at the end of the day.
This is how to close out a season!
Next up, Arapahoe Basin, Mt Rose, Squaw and Mammoth!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
What time are you and @skibob meeting up? Still trying to sort things out here.
This isn't very encouraging:
TODAY'S WORD
MONDAY, APR 24, 2017 @ 6:00AM
Another 5" of new snow overnight accompanied by high winds. Expect some delays, holds and possible closures today as the winds increase and the snow turns to rain with temps increasing to around 42.

But Weather Underground is saying storm came in faster and colder than expected. This is why it is warming much more than expected during the day. But WU also seems to be showing that the precip is MOL done. The only thing left to worry about are wind holds . . . Upper mtn squaw is showing gusts to 28mph. Not horrible . . .

Getting some coffee in me and warming up to the idea of going out there. Assuming I do, I'll try for 9ish. A lot of things to do later today . . .

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This isn't very encouraging:
TODAY'S WORD
MONDAY, APR 24, 2017 @ 6:00AM
Another 5" of new snow overnight accompanied by high winds. Expect some delays, holds and possible closures today as the winds increase and the snow turns to rain with temps increasing to around 42.

But Weather Underground is saying storm came in faster and colder than expected. This is why it is warming much more than expected during the day. But WU also seems to be showing that the precip is MOL done. The only thing left to worry about are wind holds . . . Upper mtn squaw is showing gusts to 28mph. Not horrible . . .

Getting some coffee in me and warming up to the idea of going out there. Assuming I do, I'll try for 9ish. A lot of things to do later today . . .

Weather.com seems to show occasional snow and moderate winds, I know Squaw goes high and exposed at the top, but there must be some runs to get. Hope you guys have fun!

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USCA1090:1:US

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its windy as heck in Reno, which means its super windy at Squaw/Alpine.
I can't imagine that 5 inches of fresh on refrozen spring snow will be fun. :(

Adding the level of exhaustion I'm feeling and the list of tasks, plus the lifts on wind hold.....I'm out.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its windy as heck in Reno, which means its super windy at Squaw/Alpine.
I can't imagine that 5 inches of fresh on refrozen spring snow will be fun. :(

Adding the level of exhaustion I'm feeling and the list of tasks, plus the lifts on wind hold.....I'm out.
The wind has died down at Donner Lake for the moment. 7-14mph winds with gusts 23-28 so far and projected. The winds don't seem to justify the wind hold.

But the refrozen is what I've been concerned about all along. I'm going to keep an eye on the situation, but I am holding pattern right now.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The wind has died down at Donner Lake for the moment. 7-14mph winds with gusts 23-28 so far and projected. The winds don't seem to justify the wind hold.

But the refrozen is what I've been concerned about all along. I'm going to keep an eye on the situation, but I am holding pattern right now.
Looking at their base cam there seems to be seriously low visibility too. Donner Lake has low clouds but at AM it looks like the whole valley is fogged in.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January