• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 New England Gathering Timeframe

New England Gathering time

• March 22nd to 24th (two weeks after the National Gathering closes)

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • March 29th to 31st (coincides with Easter)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • April 12th to 14th (intentionally skipping the solar eclipse weekend)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It's time to decide the "when" of the New England Gathering. Unfortunately, due to the upcoming solar eclipse and the scheduling of Easter, there's no great time. But I listed a couple possibilities below.

From a previous discussion, it seems like the primary contenders for a location would be the Mad River Valley or the Jay / Eastern Townships region.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm a fan of the midd April date because Magic and Bromley are closed by then. I'm usually ready to venture out of londonderry by mid April. I know it's not all about me tho lol

Only been to Jay once and loved it. We're huge fans of the eastern townships so a trip there would be amazing.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
The later dates (i.e., mid April) are probably going to involve going to the Eastern Townships as well. I'm not sure what the MRG / Sugarbush operating schedule would be; barring a huge snow year though, MRG would be in pretty sad shape by that timeframe.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I voted, and then decided that I don't have a strong preference after all. So I changed to "all of the above"

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why are we blocking out ( pun intended ) the solar eclipse weekend? Wouldn't it be awesome to ski during the solar eclipse?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The later dates (i.e., mid April) are probably going to involve going to the Eastern Townships as well. I'm not sure what the MRG / Sugarbush operating schedule would be; barring a huge snow year though, MRG would be in pretty sad shape by that timeframe.
Mid April is highly unreliable with the exception of a small handful of spots. It CAN be awesome, of course, but on an odds basis no. I voted for the first two for this reason.

I could see a Stratton - Magic - Killington lineup.

Last edited:
TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Why are we blocking out ( pun intended ) the solar eclipse weekend? Wouldn't it be awesome to ski during the solar eclipse?

First, I already have plans for that weekend. Two, lodging prices are stratospheric for that time frame. Price gouging is at work.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Mid April is highly unreliable with the exception of a small handful of spots. It CAN be awesome, of course, but on an odds basis no. I voted for three first two for this reason.

I could see a Stratton - Magic - Killington lineup.

Three first two? What?

Yes, I agree that mid-April is pushing the luck envelope... I think the winning timeframe has the potential to heavily influence the location.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I voted for Easter Weekend. For mid April I suggest Killington.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I voted for the first. Easter would be tough and I'd rather not take the chance on mid-April conditions.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, DivaEast typically skis weekdays, which this year is 18-19-20, with arrival on 17th, since most don't want to ski on weekend (although some will.) If NE gathering at Jay/Eastern Townships was Sat-Mon, 16-17-18 there could be some overlap, i.e. Monday at Jay. Is that too close to National Gathering? I think April 12-14th would limit us to Kton.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that too close to National Gathering?
Well, National is March 2-9. But I was planning to stay over an extra week, so its a bit iffy for me.
And those of you who are still working like to have 2 weeks between so your bosses forget you were just gone.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I voted for the latest date as the earliest coincides with my likely return from a western trip with some PA/DE local friends. Easter weekend will not work for me/us if Jane comes. If late, Killington would work for coverage, but I would think the Canadian options would still be good as well? If Killington for these unique circumstances, then we should make the commitment now for the other next year to assuage any disappointment.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I'll leave the poll up for a few weeks (mid/late September timeframe) so that people can block time off on their schedules, but right now, the mid-March timeframe is the clear winner (as would be expected, given the above mentioned concerns regarding the snowpack in the New England region come mid-April).

Late March should be about as reliable as it gets in this region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online