• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fire Season

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This area was traditionally wetlands around Lahina. Lots of the runoff from the hills to the N ran down through here. This was part of the appeal for the Hawaiians, great spot for small crops and tapa root.
As the NA culture got in there the wetlands had to go for more development. Take out the groundwaters and it is just a matter of time until the right conditions match up.
There had been fires here but not for quite a while. With the difference of population and infrastructure that part of Paradise is not the same.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This area was traditionally wetlands around Lahina. Lots of the runoff from the hills to the N ran down through here. This was part of the appeal for the Hawaiians, great spot for small crops and tapa root.
As the NA culture got in there the wetlands had to go for more development. Take out the groundwaters and it is just a matter of time until the right conditions match up.
There had been fires here but not for quite a while. With the difference of population and infrastructure that part of Paradise is not the same.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Fatality count up to 53.

So, so tragic.
+1 and hoping it's not a lot more

On Tues evening, I texted friends who moved to Maui in late Summer 2021 about visiting them in late Nov/early Dec as Alaska has 3-day airfare sale that ends today, and I saw inexpensive non-stops from my local airport. (We were their first houseguest almost two years ago, booking flights before they'd closed on house.) Then I got up on Wed to the horrible news about fires that keeps getting worse.

They live above Kaanapali in the middle of a golf course so not their home was not in danger. I didn't hear back from them until today due to power and cell outages. I also saw their son who lives near Sacramento posted their status on FB today. They and their home are OK, but life will be very different there for quite a while as the only route they use to the rest of the island is going through or on bypass around Lahaina. We are not booking anything now but will go again when they want tourists to return.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Just got text from friends that they will be arriving SJC Sat night. Will pick them up and they will stay with us for a night before renting a car and probably go stay with family.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fatality count up to 53.

So, so tragic.
This is horrible. I've been following it closely.
I spent my honeymoon with my practice husband in Hawaii in 1987.
There is an intense amount of beauty and tradition there that is lost in these fires.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we went there back in the 80's we were encouraged to go to Kauai instead of Maui because Maui was getting a bit overbuilt. Kauai had (hope it still has) an ordinance that wouldn't allow any buildings over 3 stories high.

I haven't been back since but if I were to go back to Hawaii I'd really like to revisit Kauai.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When we went there back in the 80's we were encouraged to go to Kauai instead of Maui because Maui was getting a bit overbuilt. Kauai had (hope it still has) an ordinance that wouldn't allow any buildings over 3 stories high.

I haven't been back since but if I were to go back to Hawaii I'd really like to revisit Kauai.
Yes, Kauai has an building code so you can not build above a certain height. I thought it was the height of the tallest palm tree. Only a few hotels are above that height. My wife and I went there for our 30th wedding anniversary, it is one the prettiest places on earth.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, Kauai has an building code so you can not build above a certain height. I thought it was the height of the tallest palm tree. Only a few hotels are above that height. My wife and I went there for our 30th wedding anniversary, it is one the prettiest places on earth.
Thats entirely possible.
I'm trying to remember facts from 1987. I can barely remember what's on my grocery list.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering about that because when I lived in Hawaii (100 years ago) that area was very wet. So sad.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Not sure that's the root cause: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/climate/hawaii-fires-climate-change.html

big issues: plantations closing, invasive grass, accumulation of fuel, drought, and unusual wind.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also watching it closely as it is home to a very good friend. Fortunately she is several miles north of the fire zone.

I visited her in March. The news is killing me. It's horrific. I honestly have no words.

News is filtering out slowly as the affected areas lack electricity and phone service. I fear that the death toll will be a lot higher as first responders shift though the rubble of destroyed homes. It is expected to reach over 500 and to include a lot of children who were home alone because the schools were closed.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They used to burn thousands of acres of sugar cane fields on Maui before 2017, no? Did that never get out of control?
The end of sugar cane is part of the problem...

from https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfires-climate-change-92c0930be7c28ec9ac71392a83c87582

"Pickett said there used to be massive tracts of land occupied by irrigated pineapples and sugar cane, and as those businesses declined and ceased, the lands were taken over by invasive, fire-prone grass species."

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And Yellowknife. 20k people completely evacuated 5-14 hours away. Hopefully the rain from Hilary will help.. just tragic. :(

Sponsor

Staff online