• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2023-2024 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Managed to put my right boot on today.
Still a bit of rehab needed for the left.

Arranged a blocker for next week so I'll be back again next week

Good thing Whistler runs into May I'm getting pretty grumpy.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Today at Baker it was surprisingly good skiing for a while, but it got awfully sticky around noon, so I bagged it after lunch.
Speaking of lunch, these photos were taken while I sat on the tailgate of my truck munching away.

This is the view of Mt. Shuksan from my truck:
IMG_0754.JPG

And this is a close-up of the tracks of two skiers ascending the shoulder of Mt. Shuksan. If you look really closely you can see the skiers at and near the upper end of the tracks.
IMG_0758.JPG

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bucket list trip to AK skiing Alyeska this past week, and a day at Arctic Valley- Full on winter here- several days of 5" or more, a couple sunny days, some total white out days, here for a few more days.. Snowed more last night and today too. :)

Day 1 Alyeska April 4th
6+ Powder- skiing in the 'white' room- I had no idea where I was skiing, lol
1712990693855.jpeg

Alyeska- sun! 1712990360745.jpeg

I was quite surprised driving in the 2nd day to see "where I was skiing" Off the top lift..
1712990522115.jpeg

Arctic Valley Poma/t-bar and dbl chair running..
Cool fun old school Mt & Higher than Alyeska! Snow was fantastic Powder

1712990441115.jpeg

Arctic valley- 1712990879082.jpeg

There were 2 Moose on the loose in our neighborhood.
1712990833414.jpeg

Para-skiers at Arctic valley 1712991019562.jpeg

Day off- boat ride from Seward- Resurrection bay out to Pacific and back
1712991128641.jpeg

Back in the 'white room' today- Alyeska 5" last night plus 2 today

1712991266939.jpeg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal Mt 4/13 [for you locals]

The drive up was pretty slow. We were kind of late and got behind all the hordes. We expected a lot more cars in the lots but it wasn't too bad. A lot was full to the pinch out zone, B lot was maybe 2/3, C was pretty full. There were a few cars in D and the employee housing lot. There were lift lines but they weren't bad. They mostly went away by about 1:15. The visibility was pretty good then it got a little flat when some high clouds came in, then it got better again. The snow was pretty decent. Anything steep stayed nice. Only the flats got sticky in spots. Green Valley has the best skiing and the best snow.
The worst of the day was the lack of snow. I have never seen so little snow on the drive up the boulevard. A lot of the runs are getting pretty bony. Lucky Shot, MIFB, the top of the Green Valley gut and Snorting Elk are starting to hurt. Brown snow, rocks and pebbles in the snow, and some bad spots. In spite of being cautious I still hit a few things. Forest Queen is still holding up OK for the most part. Unfortunately tomorrow, Sunday, is the last day of the season for Forest Queen.
It was still a very fun day in the mostly sun. It's probably gonna be my last day of the season as I don't think it's gonna be worth going for the weekends only extended stuff which will be only the gondola, Green Valley and Rex. I doubt that Rex is going to be very skiable if it melts much more.
See pictures below- Sunnyside, Fiddle Ferks /IceBerg, Snorting Elk

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Crystal Mt 4/13 [for you locals]

The drive up was pretty slow. We were kind of late and got behind all the hordes. We expected a lot more cars in the lots but it wasn't too bad. A lot was full to the pinch out zone, B lot was maybe 2/3, C was pretty full. There were a few cars in D and the employee housing lot. There were lift lines but they weren't bad. They mostly went away by about 1:15. The visibility was pretty good then it got a little flat when some high clouds came in, then it got better again. The snow was pretty decent. Anything steep stayed nice. Only the flats got sticky in spots. Green Valley has the best skiing and the best snow.
The worst of the day was the lack of snow. I have never seen so little snow on the drive up the boulevard. A lot of the runs are getting pretty bony. Lucky Shot, MIFB, the top of the Green Valley gut and Snorting Elk are starting to hurt. Brown snow, rocks and pebbles in the snow, and some bad spots. In spite of being cautious I still hit a few things. Forest Queen is still holding up OK for the most part. Unfortunately tomorrow, Sunday, is the last day of the season for Forest Queen.
It was still a very fun day in the mostly sun. It's probably gonna be my last day of the season as I don't think it's gonna be worth going for the weekends only extended stuff which will be only the gondola, Green Valley and Rex. I doubt that Rex is going to be very skiable if it melts much more.
See pictures below- Sunnyside, Fiddle Ferks /IceBerg, Snorting Elk

View attachment 233520

View attachment 233521

View attachment 233523

Thanks for the report. I was thinking about going up for some Green Valley laps next weekend as Crystal was skiing really nicely last weekend, but it’s melted out a lot since then.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of empty chairs at Mt Hood Meadows today. It was cool air and blasting sunshine. The snow corned nicely and didn't get very slushy until around 2pm or so. A really nice day.

I'm skiing beard-free as of Easter when my grandsons shaved my beard off.

0417240955b_HDR.jpg

0417240956b.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank goodness the fire was contained and extinguished before more damage was sustained. The ski area is closed today.

Timberline Ski Area will be closed on Friday 4/19/24 due to a fire that started late Thursday night. The hotel will be closed until further notice. Timberline employees, Hoodland Fire, Clackamas County and Gresham first responders did an amazing job responding to the fire. The process, communication and containment saved the Historic Timberline Lodge from what could have been a much worse outcome.

https://katu.com/news/local/firefighters-responding-to-timberline-lodge

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Great news that no one was injured and that they saved the building...one of the most iconic lodges in all of ski country.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad day.

Glad it was contained. It will be rebuilt.

Not like this:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Save the Queens!
The Northwest has some amazing old CCC buildings in the Parks. They, and their original furnishings, were built by a wide assortment of people in need of work. Yellowstone Lodge, Glacier Park lodges, Paradise Lodge at Mt. Rannier, Crater Lake Lodge (and others) are astounding examples of craftsmanship on a very large scale. They were pretty much all built in native wood and stone and are so vulnerable to the ravages of time, fire, and economy.
If you haven't made a point of seeing them, you should; they really are national legacy items.
Others that hide in plain site are the old CCC county court houses. Some exquisite stone, rock and iron work.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Warming up nicely for off piste adventures. Early ups & $5 beers for pass holders. Now that's Spring skiing. Did a carving check since it was my mt for an hour.
Screenshot_20240419_091534_Speedometer.jpg
20240419_101332.jpg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Save the Queens!
The Northwest has some amazing old CCC buildings in the Parks. They, and their original furnishings, were built by a wide assortment of people in need of work. Yellowstone Lodge, Glacier Park lodges, Paradise Lodge at Mt. Rannier, Crater Lake Lodge (and others) are astounding examples of craftsmanship on a very large scale. They were pretty much all built in native wood and stone and are so vulnerable to the ravages of time, fire, and economy.
If you haven't made a point of seeing them, you should; they really are national legacy items.
Others that hide in plain site are the old CCC county court houses. Some exquisite stone, rock and iron work.

The Midwest too. Just not on the same scale.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great to be back up again. This past week was exceptionally beautiful.
Blackcomb closed last Sunday. They are installing the bike racks on Fitz. Despite only one hill running, zero lines.

Still crispy in the am so staying on piste was the best choice. Lifts are open 9 to 4.
Mid afternoon freezing level was well below the roundhouse so even with full sun the snow remained firm in the alpine.

Possible to ski to either Creekside or Village base, once below mid the only snow left is on a couple of runs to valley. They will be mushy late in day.
Still have couple of cracked ribs and a sore back so I wimped out and downloaded. Don't think we missed much.

New snow expected starting tomorrow.
Final week of April is usually the last of the powder runs.
Still a lot of skiing left.

Sponsor

Staff online