• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Winter Olympic Site Announced Where It Doesn't Snow??

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The cameras won't be able to avoid showing a lot of bare ground beyond the edge of the WROD.

It appears they have a Plan B for if it isn't cold enough on the mountain to blow snow there when they need it. The article mentions storing man-made snow in massive warehouses, which means trucking it to the event site and spreading it onto the hill. The mental picture I'm seeing is snow being blown inside a refrigerated warehouse and then transported to the slopes to be spread by snowcats. Gonna be a long and slow process.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The cameras won't be able to avoid showing a lot of bare ground beyond the edge of the WROD.

It appears they have a Plan B for if it isn't cold enough on the mountain to blow snow there when they need it. The article mentions storing man-made snow in massive warehouses, which means trucking it to the event site and spreading it onto the hill. The mental picture I'm seeing is snow being blown inside a refrigerated warehouse and then transported to the slopes to be spread by snowcats. Gonna be a long and slow process.

It's not that bad, actually - there's some US precedent:

http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/mt-van-hoevenbergs-snow-factory-game-changer/

https://www.technoalpin.com/us/snow-making/snowfactory.html

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
just bizarre to me......

*shrug* the moment we knew the Norwegians were dropping out, we knew it was going to be China. I'm kind of OK with that in the "why impoverish Kazakhstan now just so we can have a sad over giant slabs of disused concrete 20 years later?" sense.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2022 may be the year I completely stop paying attention to Winter Olympics.

Hell, all they need to do is expand their facilities a little and we could have an completely indoor Winter Olympics in Dubai.

I think there was an analysis done a few years about about which venues have previously held Winter Olympics, that may not be feasible in the near future, if climate change indeed changes as rapidly as feared. For instance, Innsbruck is at only 573 meters (1833 ft) and the mountains surrounding are not high elevation glaciers. I actually wonder about the long-term feasibility of a lot of ski areas in the Alps, without snowmaking.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I actually wonder about the long-term feasibility of a lot of ski areas in the Alps, without snowmaking.
There's nothing to wonder. Not a lot but pretty much every single area in Alps would be closed by now already if there wouldn't be snowmaking. For last several years, there's pretty much 100% man made snow sometime till January or even middle of January. And with ski resorts running from middle of January till end of February (pretty much noone is skiing around here anymore in March, and even less in April), ski resorts would go bankrupt in a year.
So there's nothing to wait for 5 or 10 years, it's fact now already that ski resorts in Alps wouldn't exist anymore if there wouldn't be snowmaking.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is absolutely ludicrous.......I smell a payoff......:poo:[/QUOTE]

Well it is the Olympics

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is absolutely ludicrous.......I smell a payoff......:poo:

Well it is the Olympics[/QUOTE]

I spent the last week about 45 minutes north of Beijing, and the humidity levels were very low, several days in the mid teens. I'm no meteorologist, but I'd think it unlikely you get much precipitation (snow) in that climate

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well it is the Olympics

I spent the last week about 45 minutes north of Beijing, and the humidity levels were very low, several days in the mid teens. I'm no meteorologist, but I'd think it unlikely you get much precipitation (snow) in that climate[/QUOTE]

I believe the PyeongChang games will be interesting as well for obvious reasons.
Imagine the work load and costs involved to make, store and distribute enough man-made snow to all the events :doh:

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So much for a winter atmosphere. Wouldn't be interested in attending......

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't know how many of you are paying attention to the most recent spate of doping scandals, but there is now, IMO, a MUCH better reason to not want the Olys in China:

http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/jamaican-doping-news-johaug-others-mad/

n the beginning of April, news hit that a group of athletes had tested positive for a banned steroid at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. The group had never been investigated or suspended for doping.

The drug in question? Clenbuterol, a steroid. Its name might be familiar to cross-country skiers because it is often used in inhalers to treat asthma outside of the United States. But even for asthma, its use is prohibited for competitive athletes.

Some of you might also remember clenbuterol as the drug for which Contador got slammed in 2012 (tested in 2010). Double standards much?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Double standards are there fore sure, but I think we will disagree on the level and when they are applied ;) Even though I don't really have intention to start argument, I have feeling we won't be agreeing on this... if nothing else due the reason where I live and where you live, and how some of us look at certain nations (and long term "enemies" back to cold war era) :)
As mentioning Johaug, there's 6 Russians who should be mad and not Johaug. None of them ever tested positive, and at least some of them are living out of Russia (mainly Switzerland, Sweden and Germany) all year long, and competing on international races, which means pretty much every of their (never positive) doping tests through the year are done by other anti doping agencies then Rusada. Yet, they got banned due Sochi thing for 2 years. On the other side, there was Sundby, who tested positive twice, and Johaug who tested positive on steroids. Sundby didn't get anything, until WADA went to CAS and won, so he got 2months ban (from August till September... time when there's really lot of xc ski races :D). Johaugh got 13 months ban (and NSF will pay all her legal expenses and possible loss of sponsor money, just as they did with Sundby), which nicely ends before the next season, which happens to be Olympic season, even though for steroids, there's 4 years by default. So yes, double standards.
As far as this clenbuterol from Beijing games goes... absolutely agree. Again double standards. Some Polish kayaker gets 2 years ban, other's don't get anything for exactly same thing. But I guess it's same all the time... In Operation Puerto there was more then 200 names, only 40 and something came out and were prosecuted, and all were from cycling. None of top tier football and tennis names that's suppose to be in those 200+ names list never made it public and were never prosecuted. And it's quite clear why... as Rasmussen said in his interview (pretty good read though https://cyclingtips.com/2017/04/int...lks-tues-marginal-gains-outer-edge-potential/) the more money you bring into the sport, the more protected you are (hence "double standards"). It shows everything... with previously mentioned Norwegians against Russians, football players against cyclists in Operation Puerto, or Sky (US Postal and Rabobank before) against others at UCI.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last Winter Olympics were also significantly climate challenged. They made and saved/stored snow a full year in advance because they knew there could be problems if mother nature didn't cooperate, and she didn't. Many of the events were in grey slush instead of snow. Regardless, the show went on. Perhaps the competitors will also be spending more time training in grey slush in preparation to compete in grey slush?

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last Winter Olympics were also significantly climate challenged. They made and saved/stored snow a full year in advance because they knew there could be problems if mother nature didn't cooperate, and she didn't. Many of the events were in grey slush instead of snow. Regardless, the show went on. Perhaps the competitors will also be spending more time training in grey slush in preparation to compete in grey slush?

That grey slush = techs nightmare, I'm surprised they didn't paint it

Sponsor

Staff online