• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Testers, you list the new Monster 88's tail at 120, which is 5 mm wider than this year's.

Change in shape, or typo at 2 AM?
Thanks. The 120 tail is the 98, yes a late night (or early morning) typo. Fixed.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I demoed the Super Joy and Total Joy at Snowbasin last weekend and absolutely LOVED them both. I started the day on the 75mm under foot Super Joy on a mixed bag of granular and ice and chop that quickly turned to slush, and they were incredible. So much so that I didn't return them for more than an hour, and now have a pair on their way to me! The Total Joy are 85mm under foot and felt VERY similar to me, but they are redundant to my Black Pearls. I've been wanting a front-side ski to work on my technique, and the Super Joys are it. I don't know how they did it, but Head made an incredibly light ski that is also incredibly solid, stable, and also playful. They also held an amazing edge on the icy pitches I hit. I wish I had them right now, because things are pretty firm in the morning, which is when I prefer to ski in the spring.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Has Head lightened up the tips on the Monster 98s as well as the 88s and 83s?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Has Head lightened up the tips on the Monster 98s as well as the 88s and 83s?

Softened yes. Lightened, I don't think so. There's no discernible difference in weight between the current and next year's Monsters. If one feels the current monsters are too heavy in the ends, then the new ones probably won't be your ski either.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know how they did it, but Head made an incredibly light ski that is also incredibly solid, stable, and also playful.

Agree. Every time I pick up my wife's, I wonder how a ski so light that it feels like a toy could have upped her game and fun level so much.

I tend to not be a fan of super-light skis, but she loves them. Head hit the bull's eye with this ski.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My wife, who is a very strong and precise skier has picked up her THIRD pair of 163cm SuperJoy's. Our son, a coach with a Head connection suggested that she try them when they first came out. She lifted them and was prepared to be totally non-plused.

We were in the Rockies when she first tried them, and over about 10 days they never left her feet. The ski is incredibly versatile. She will ski them in about 6-8" of fresh snow, and everything else. The ski has great edge grip even on our bullet proof NE stuff. My wife feels like she can work the ski into a bunch of turn shapes very easily. She has had a lot of skis. And these are a home run.

Her other primary ski is a Samba. And they do not get as much use as they once did. She really likes the Blizz {hated the original Black Pearl}, but LOVES the Super Joy. Not enamored with any of other Joy series. Kind of a personal preference thing as we know women who do like them. The Great Joy, for example.

She is looking forward to trying a Wild Joy. Might replace the Samba.

I do not know a single woman who has not really liked the Super Joy.

Eager to see how the Kore 93 skis......

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Sounds like Kore 105 with Kingpins could be a very competent backcountry/expedition oriented setup that maximizes the performance and still keeps it reasonably light. If I were going to an exotic place to ski where I would need to walk uphill, that would probably be something I would be looking at, gear-wise...

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Seems as if the new monster 88 may be of interest, a bit softer in the tip and tail, that is what I wanted of them.
177 w/ a 17m radius, seems right in line w/ what I might like in a mid width everything ski like this. need to get on 'em!

thx!
W

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Wade, having seen a couple clips of your skiing, I think you'll really like the new 88.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I am intrigued by the Titans. I followed @Lorenzzo ripping on them, and boy, did he dance with that mountain. He actually described them almost identically to the review by @FairToMiddlin . Amazing carvers that will take on variable snow with surprising versatlity.

Lorenzzo actually suggested those for me as I focus on improving my technique. I have Dynastar PTs 89 for soft snow.

He does prefer the previous (2015-2016?) Version of the titans though.

I looked online and didn't find any end of season blowout deals. But I will keep looking patiently.

I will also look into the competition. Are there any worthy competitors in that non-premium price range?

Thanks for any thoughts!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
What length do you need?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Existential crisis: should I buy the titans without having skied them?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wade, having seen a couple clips of your skiing, I think you'll really like the new 88.

I love the way he skis. Years back I made some kind of comment about how patient he was, and he thought it was a dig, but I was serious.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
What length do you need?

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a question for me. I am 6'1 180# . I was thinking the 177cm. But I am not sure what I need or want. The main goal is add a ski to the quiver for skill development, particularly good carving, on groomers.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I love the way he skis. Years back I made some kind of comment about how patient he was, and he thought it was a dig, but I was serious.

Thx Mark and Tony,
Yes, the last monster was a good ski, but too stiff for my 165lbs of slowness... I'd like to replace my elan 888 that was my early season, late season spring ski and it was 177, 88 and super traditional. Seems a more flex monster would be great for that so often needed niche, and with a 17m radius, more fun carver then the elan.

Thx tony, yep, not exciting, patient, slow are good descriptors of my skiing, but I enjoy the way it feels.

When are these heads available, not till next year or out there now? could be fun for our long spring... mtns will be open awhile, and mtb trails won't be open for some time..

Cheers!
W

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am intrigued by the Titans. I followed @Lorenzzo ripping on them, and boy, did he dance with that mountain. He actually described them almost identically to the review by @FairToMiddlin . Amazing carvers that will take on variable snow with surprising versatlity.

Lorenzzo actually suggested those for me as I focus on improving my technique. I have Dynastar PTs 89 for soft snow.

He does prefer the previous (2015-2016?) Version of the titans though.

I looked online and didn't find any end of season blowout deals. But I will keep looking patiently.

I will also look into the competition. Are there any worthy competitors in that non-premium price range?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Thank you kindly although around these parts I am but an apprentice. As a groomer/dedicated carving ski either the current or prior Titan is highly worthy. The prior model is more all-mountain whereas the current is more of a dedicated carver. I'm seeing demos of the prior version pop up in ads, supposed light use for $400 binding included.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a question for me. I am 6'1 180# . I was thinking the 177cm. But I am not sure what I need or want. The main goal is add a ski to the quiver for skill development, particularly good carving, on groomers.

I know of a pair of 163's, but that won't help. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online