• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Head Boots

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Didn't catch any information if there were changes to the RS or RD boots from this year to next year.
In addition wondering if anybody had thoughts comparing the RS140 (which really sounds like a 130 flex) to the B3 other than the 98 vs 93mm last difference (and one being a plug).

Long time Lange user, but boot fitter having me look at the Head line given slightly smaller volume and much better lock in the heel area for me. More work required in the mid but that's easily addressed.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
B3 has .5mm of plastic in the lower. It's considerably stiffer over the arch so spreading the boot to open is noticibly more difficult than the RS. Plug has the race liner as well and most all are stiffer than their civilian race counter parts of commensurate flex rating. Between the B3 and RS 140, the usual 'go with what fits' is the advice I'd hand out for free. Both are fine boots! Good luck!

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both will need some work, the RS will fit better out of the box, but that is expected given the wider last. However less concerned about the work required, mainly wondering if there was a reason I should take a good look at the B3 (other than the usual better liner and the pros and cons of being a plug).

Have a feeling the decision is going to be more of a do you want a plug or not type of decision. Given both boots are more than capable and of high quality.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
The two boots are completely different and should not be compared. They are both ski boots, but they are worlds apart.

Stance is different, angles are different, plastics are different, how they flex, etc.

The only similarity is that they both look similar.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
True on the differences, but in either case, a good fitter will get either set up as needed.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Didn't catch any information if there were changes to the RS or RD boots from this year to next year.
In addition wondering if anybody had thoughts comparing the RS140 (which really sounds like a 130 flex) to the B3 other than the 98 vs 93mm last difference (and one being a plug).

Long time Lange user, but boot fitter having me look at the Head line given slightly smaller volume and much better lock in the heel area for me. More work required in the mid but that's easily addressed.

Just get what the bootfitter recommends. Did he mention a specific model for you?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in this exact spot last season. After lengthy conversations with my fitter and my wants/needs, I ended up in the RS140. Damn good decision I wouldn't change. I wasn't going to use the stock liner as I am a ZipFit convert. I need to get the RS widened a tad but that is it -- corns are zero fun.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This may not be an issue. My son and I both have quite a high instep. That is one thing that that we, and our bootfitters found to be a "non/starter" for me, and close for him with the Head plug. A bit more room in the RS. He was a Head athlete and it was a struggle to get into the boot. Had to do a lot of work to lower the Zeppa. He now skis in a Dobermann with minimal work. Lange has always worked for me, and I get them at a good price. Head is a great boot if it works. All who I know in the boot love them,

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
I had both on recently @ the Stratton show. The 140 felt very soft... I'd call it a 115 by Dobermann standards. On the other hand the B3 was more plug stiff. On good authority, some of the Head athletes are using a soft clog & a stiffer cuff.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just get what the bootfitter recommends. Did he mention a specific model for you?
RS140 and B3 depending on whether I wanted to go the plug route. Also said I could stick to the RS130 in the Lange (which Lange has been great for me; or ZA if I wanted to go plug) but did believe the heel hold and lower instep volume of the head would work better (albeit with a bit more work out of the box than the Lange; a bit more stretch and some grinding of the zeppa).

Reality is either boot would work from either brand and he could tweak any of them for me. Just thinks the Head might be the better route to start from. Hence asking a few more questions given I'm much more familiar with the Lange line than the Head one.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
RS140 and B3 depending on whether I wanted to go the plug route. Also said I could stick to the RS130 in the Lange (which Lange has been great for me; or ZA if I wanted to go plug) but did believe the heel hold and lower instep volume of the head would work better (albeit with a bit more work out of the box than the Lange; a bit more stretch and some grinding of the zeppa).

Reality is either boot would work from either brand and he could tweak any of them for me. Just thinks the Head might be the better route to start from. Hence asking a few more questions given I'm much more familiar with the Lange line than the Head one.

I own the Lange RS130 and love it but ultimately it comes down to fit. After using the boot completely stock for about 5 days I went to a SBF in Vail. Chris, My fitter, had to do a custom footbed, put spacers on top of the rear of the foot board after grinding it flat and also added material to decrease the volume (I have a very low instep). He said that for my next boot get a size lower, he can make it work (I am between a 26.5 and a 27.5). Bottom line I guess it is preferable, for low volume feet and the desire for a race fit, to go to a smaller boot and then it can be fit to your foot nice and tight. Flex is another matter as well after fit. I love the front flex of the RS130 w/ stock liner. I mainly ski off piste. For mostly carving on piste I guess a firmer plastic on the bottom shell might not be a bad thing but of course it all depends on preference and use.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The two boots are completely different and should not be compared. They are both ski boots, but they are worlds apart.

Stance is different, angles are different, plastics are different, how they flex, etc.

The only similarity is that they both look similar.

Ther are not as dissimilar as you say, there are differences but a lot that is the same in actual feel. I actually skied both of these boots at Copper ski test, one on one foot, one on the other both using the same Boot Doc liner. How I have my Langs set up with a 3/8" heel lift so that was an obviousdifference but both boots skied very similarly. I was actually very surprised.
True on the differences, but in either case, a good fitter will get either set up as needed.
Yes, to each his own, the fitter will help with which is better for each skier.

Here is the only picture I have of both boots on...

IMG_0244.JPG

I will be interested how the new boot skis. I can't wait to get in some once the 296mm shells are produced.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 20407 View attachment 20408 I had both on recently @ the Stratton show. The 140 felt very soft... I'd call it a 115 by Dobermann standards. On the other hand the B3 was more plug stiff. On good authority, some of the Head athletes are using a soft clog & a stiffer cuff.

Did the new 140 feel softer than the old one? Wondering if they used a different plastic that firms up more when cold (ala Lange)?

Certainly don't want anything less stiff....

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Did the new 140 feel softer than the old one? Wondering if they used a different plastic that firms up more when cold (ala Lange)?

Certainly don't want anything less stiff....

This was my first time in these, so hard to tell.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Ther are not as dissimilar as you say, there are differences but a lot that is the same in actual feel. I actually skied both of these boots at Copper ski test, one on one foot, one on the other both using the same Boot Doc liner. How I have my Langs set up with a 3/8" heel lift so that was an obviousdifference but both boots skied very similarly. I was actually very surprised.

The head rs140 and rd b3 ski similar? Or are you speaking of the Lange?

I was told the RS head and the RD line are quite different.

(I have heard the top "off the shelf" line Lange and top line head are almost identical, as well. @otto told @Rich Peters he could basically "pick either" and go by color, if those are the two you're referring to.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO and experience, the Lange RS and Head RS are NOT so similar that you just pick a color. The volumes are different. One will fit better than the other for people looking for a 97_98 last width boot. The Lange will accomodate a higher instep more readily. The Head heel pocket is more aggressive, and the zeppa will need some work for many people. Plug boot race liners are always 'nicer', especially the detachable tongue, but they're also thinner and often colder. YMMV.

It's my understanding that changes to the Head RS and B boots are cosmetic only. I've never heard them described as 'soft' for their given flex rating, so I'm a bit surprised by Brian's assertion, but I haven't had on next season's shoe. Phil, any thoughts on this?

(Oh! Yes... the RS120 lost the spine buckle... remembered that just now after looking at Brian's picts again. )

Last edited: