• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just realized this will be the 10th anniversary of one of the snowiest gatherings ever - also in SLC.

http://www.epicski.com/t/66127/utah-gathering-pics-and-stuff
The Tenth is the Diamond Anniversary. You know how we like Diamonds...
2666.png
2666.png

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for sidetracking the thread! JH is just an option I'm thinking of adding to the Gathering.

Oh and back to our topic at hand...I am leaning to the first week of March for the Gathering. Sunday 3/4-9/18 (or 10th for some). I am leaning towards 3 and 2 at Snowbird/Alta and 1 at Snowbasin.

That sounds good to me. I was hoping for last week of February or the first week of March, personally.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Bubba's is a must, so is D.O.G. for breakfast burritos. The trouble with D.O.G's is that even after a day of skiing you might not be hungry enough to hit Bubba's. I do like the place with the little cabins...for 100/night, they are sweet.

Oh and back to our topic at hand...I am leaning to the first week of March for the Gathering. Sunday 3/4-9/18 (or 10th for some). I am leaning towards 3 and 2 at Snowbird/Alta and 1 at Snowbasin.

I like Snowbasin, lots if long runs, so I'd vote for 2/2/2

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry for sidetracking the thread! JH is just an option I'm thinking of adding to the Gathering.

That sounds good to me. I was hoping for last week of February or the first week of March, personally.

At this years Whistler Gathering people hit other areas like Baker or Crystal on the front or back end of the event. There is not attendance taken at the event, we wil meet at a certain area at a certain time and ou are not required to be there, it is really a low keyed event. You can hit Jackson too, beign that close and on the MCP, I would reccommend it!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Snowbasin, lots if long runs, so I'd vote for 2/2/2
There might be an alternate unofficial Gathering schedule for those that want to do 2/2/2. It's really only one day, where some go to a 3rd Snowbird day and some go to a 2nd Snowbasin day.

What a dilemna. I really like Snowbasin, OTOH I've never been to Alta or Snowbird [hanging head in shame] so I might want to maximize my time there. But at the expense of facing the wrath of Amy? I dunno, the cost may just be too great.......

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There might be an alternate unofficial Gathering schedule for those that want to do 2/2/2. It's really only one day, where some go to a 3rd Snowbird day and some go to a 2nd Snowbasin day.

What a dilemna. I really like Snowbasin, OTOH I've never been to Alta or Snowbird [hanging head in shame] so I might want to maximize my time there. But at the expense of facing the wrath of Amy? I dunno, the cost may just be too great.......

LOL! My thought is to hit Snowbasin first, then let people decide. I have yet to run into anyone who is disappointed in the mountain, even those who have skied the others. In fact, a lot of them don't bother going anywhere else any more. It offers up stuff you'd have to hit 3 other areas to get. It also has the 3 longest lifts in the state, and all 3 are high speed lifts, 2 of them gondolas, meaning comfy rides on cold days. The biggest downfall is the elevation, and that's the same issue that faces the Park City resorts, too. Wasn't an issue 20 years ago, and that's what's sad.

3000 acres and 3000k vertical. Olympic downhill runs, bowls, cirques, glades, trees, blue cruisers, gorgeous 360 degree views. And you know what else? The people at our mountain are generally VERY cool. Serious skiers who have manners. What a concept. Damn, I'm lucky!

I can definitely work on getting a tour set up, too. I have no idea if I'll be working up there again next winter, as I really need to focus on a real job, but either way, I've got lots of friends and connections and will do my best to get the group hooked up. Group sales will be our friends.

This is a view of the mountain I took on my way up there last month. This is ALL inbounds terrain you can see. Another bonus is UTA offers transit from the north and south ends of Ogden up either canyon, and the drive up is easy.

17021358_10212503928299558_6438474114044402449_n.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We love Snowbasin. A lot depends on where people are staying and if they want to either relocate up to Snowbasin or do one or two day trips. Nothing is in stone yet and will net be decided for a bit. Relax.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We love Snowbasin. A lot depends on where people are staying and if they want to either relocate up to Snowbasin or do one or two day trips. Nothing is in stone yet and will net be decided for a bit. Relax.
But we only have 11+ months before the gathering. My suggestion would be to game time it or at least wait and observe the pattern. Sometimes the elevation difference between Snowbasin and the Cottonwoods is decisive. Most of the last several years for example. Sometimes Snowbasin's more northerly location delivers it the goods and with proper guiding the snow would wait around for us more than untracked in the Cottonwoods. If there's no differentiation I suspect with most people staying close to the Cottonwoods the drive to Snowbasin would be a schlep deterrent.

I have passes at multiple areas and would never decide which more than a few days in advance. BTW, Park City Resort has an elevation issue as most of its terrain is below 8,000 feet. But most of Deer Valley's terrain is above 8,000 and elevation is generally not an issue. Today for example :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ True that. Sorry, Phil, I'm just a little excited :)
All snow at Snowbasin from this storm. 11 inches so far. We are sitting 3 inches from 400 for the season. Pretty remarkable! I'm sure that will be eclipsed with the next wave coming in tomorrow night.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ True that. Sorry, Phil, I'm just a little excited :)
All snow at Snowbasin from this storm. 11 inches so far. We are sitting 3 inches from 400 for the season. Pretty remarkable! I'm sure that will be eclipsed with the next wave coming in tomorrow night.

You're not alone in being excited :) :thumb: I can't wait to get back to Utah.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am hoping that day 1 (Sunday) is at Snowbasin for 2 reasons.

a) People that are arriving early can do Saturday and Sunday at Snowbasin consecutively and possibly stay in Ogden and then move to Sandy/Midvale/LCC for the rest of the week. So minimizes traveling.

b) Alta/Snowbird will then be midweek and a lot less of a traffic jam if it snows compared to trying to get up LCC on a weekend powder day.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am hoping that day 1 (Sunday) is at Snowbasin for 2 reasons.

a) People that are arriving early can do Saturday and Sunday at Snowbasin consecutively and possibly stay in Ogden and then move to Sandy/Midvale/LCC for the rest of the week. So minimizes traveling.

b) Alta/Snowbird will then be midweek and a lot less of a traffic jam if it snows compared to trying to get up LCC on a weekend powder day.
Your lodging logistics proposal makes a lot of sense. Though, In my experience the Cottonwood crowding is far worse on Saturday than Sunday. Church crowds are tough

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Your lodging logistics proposal makes a lot of sense. Though, In my experience the Cottonwood crowding is far worse on Saturday than Sunday. Church crowds are tough

My experience on a powder Sunday late January 2016 was bumper to bumper traffic so bad I couldn't even get to LCC, so I turned around and went up BCC. Went on Monday instead to an uncrowded Snowbird with very good ski-able wind deposition and storm remnants. Mineral Basin was untouched but the fog was so thick that I only felt my way down once.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on the new thread title I take it we're relatively settled on dates?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL! My thought is to hit Snowbasin first, then let people decide. I have yet to run into anyone who is disappointed in the mountain, even those who have skied the others. In fact, a lot of them don't bother going anywhere else any more. It offers up stuff you'd have to hit 3 other areas to get. It also has the 3 longest lifts in the state, and all 3 are high speed lifts, 2 of them gondolas, meaning comfy rides on cold days. The biggest downfall is the elevation, and that's the same issue that faces the Park City resorts, too. Wasn't an issue 20 years ago, and that's what's sad.

3000 acres and 3000k vertical. Olympic downhill runs, bowls, cirques, glades, trees, blue cruisers, gorgeous 360 degree views. And you know what else? The people at our mountain are generally VERY cool. Serious skiers who have manners. What a concept. Damn, I'm lucky!

I can definitely work on getting a tour set up, too. I have no idea if I'll be working up there again next winter, as I really need to focus on a real job, but either way, I've got lots of friends and connections and will do my best to get the group hooked up. Group sales will be our friends.

This is a view of the mountain I took on my way up there last month. This is ALL inbounds terrain you can see. Another bonus is UTA offers transit from the north and south ends of Ogden up either canyon, and the drive up is easy.

17021358_10212503928299558_6438474114044402449_n.jpg
AmyPJ in Snowbasin mode! You go, girl!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
AmyPJ in Snowbasin mode! You go, girl!
I'm hoping you can get out here again with better conditions. It doesn't sound like Alta was much better. That was one crazy 3-week warm, dry spell, and I'm glad it's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online