• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most people stay in nearby Midvale or Sandy which is ~ 30 minutes from most resorts and has a multitude of reasonable Days Inn type places. It's also ~ 30 minutes from the airport.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to clog things up here so maybe move this to another thread..but what accomodations are available at Alta/Snowbird? I don't recall seeing much in the way of condos there... We'd need a room of some kind with a separate bedroom with a door on it. Could be hotel. Ski in/ski out would be preferable. I can google but if someone has local knowledge that'd be useful.
If you want to stay right at the hill, there are several lodging choices at each resort ranging from pretty nice, high density concrete freeway overpasses at Snowbird to why haven't they torn this place down or who in the hell built this at Alta. The nice thing about staying there is the canyon ride up has frequent issues on snow days which would then not be your problem and you might even get fresh, untracked snow while the hordes waits for road opening as they breathe each other's exhaust. More importantly, you could host Ape ski parties for the rest of us. I would, but no-one wants to make a round trip to Park City unless they have pets there waiting to be fed.

Staying in Sandy or Midvale in the valley is more than viable just don't expect mountain scenery, other than off in the distance.

Last edited:

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know how long the MCP will remain at $399? I want to wait to see what Phil comes up with, but don't want to miss out if things don't work out.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool! Might work for next year. Haven't been to one since probably 2010 when our kids lived in Denver and we met up with Tricia and gang at A Basin and Loveland.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Advance two cents from someone on the right coast. I really liked this year's schedule and the weekend-to-weekend plan we've often had in the past. 1) You get four weekend days, rather than two, where you don't have to take vacation time. 2) You travel on the weekends when slopes are crowded. The midweek-to-midweek thing we did at Jackson and maybe one other year makes it more awkward and expensive for those who have to spend a full day traveling each way.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Advance two cents from someone on the right coast. I really liked this year's schedule and the weekend-to-weekend plan we've often had in the past. 1) You get four weekend days, rather than two, where you don't have to take vacation time. 2) You travel on the weekends when slopes are crowded. The midweek-to-midweek thing we did at Jackson and maybe one other year makes it more awkward and expensive for those who have to spend a full day traveling each way.
I am all for the Mon-Fri schedule, it is a reverse comment for those traveling. If they want to come in a day early to do the "optional" Sunday, there is always that option as is staying an extra day on the Saturday.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I realize that much of the details are to be worked out. Nonetheless, it would be helpful to know how many days at which resorts to expect; for those who are planning to purchase an MCP (Pugski deal or not) it's good to know which resort to specify for the extra 3rd day. Assuming, of course, that the week will be scheduled only at MCP resorts (Snowbasin, Alta and Snowbird).

Also, if there are going to be 2 (or 3) days at Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain, it would be helpful to have them in consecutive days at the beginning or end of the week, as one (meaning me) could relocate from Eden to SLC or vice-versa.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread needs some pics:roflmao:
Snowbasin:
CopyofDSCN0145.jpg

CopyofDSCN0201.jpg

Alta:
CopyofDSCN0453.jpg

LL

Snowbird:
LL

LL

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, those pics almost help me get over my bitter, bitter disappointment that we won't be going to Stowe and experiencing the joys of several freeze-thaw cycles (possibly all in the same day). ogwink

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, those pics almost help me get over my bitter, bitter disappointment that we won't be going to Stowe and experiencing the joys of several freeze-thaw cycles (possibly all in the same day). ogwink

Hey. I can beat up my little brother, but no one else can. :D

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I realize that much of the details are to be worked out. Nonetheless, it would be helpful to know how many days at which resorts to expect; for those who are planning to purchase an MCP (Pugski deal or not) it's good to know which resort to specify for the extra 3rd day. Assuming, of course, that the week will be scheduled only at MCP resorts (Snowbasin, Alta and Snowbird).

Also, if there are going to be 2 (or 3) days at Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain, it would be helpful to have them in consecutive days at the beginning or end of the week, as one (meaning me) could relocate from Eden to SLC or vice-versa.

So you have to select the extra day on the MCP up front? I assumed you could just ski an extra day at any of the places depending on how the season rolls out.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No - 3rd day has to be chosen at time of purchase.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I would assume Alta and Snowbird days will be back to back and either at the beginning or end of the span of days. My ideal scenario is something like Monday-Thursday Alta/Snowbird with Snowbasin Friday and Saturday. I'd fly in on Sunday and out the following Sunday and only have to relocate once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor