• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Bones

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just went back to skiing the 2016 Mantra's after a few days on the Bones............. OMG it's like being juiced on steroids........ it's like you've got super human strength. My legs were SO tired after skiing the new Bones that I figured I'd take it easy today and ski the Mantras...... they felt so light........ I was barely tired and wanted to ski more but had to get home before the storm hit in earnest. What a difference........ not bad, not good ..........just different (no time to go into detail right now bec I'm freaking starving and NEED FOOD!!!!!!!!)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I havent skied the new Rustlers yet......but its only got one sheet of metal and the reports from TGR are saying its chargey than old twin tip series, but not anywhere near the new bones or old bones.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the Rustler 10. Super fun. Nothing like old Bones in the moguls, that's for sure, but still solid on the groomer I skied on. I think I want a pair.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Rustler 10 is, as they say...yummy. Expect a Cage Match Comparision between the Rustler 10 and Bonafide coem the fall when I start the CMC's up again.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Guess we shall see. Good thing is that we all have different preferences. So what might be at the top of some lists will not make another.
No way to tell, IMO, without skiing them for a while in the terrain and conditions that you will typically ski them in.

Or if you have a ski near twin, and can get very relevant input and Intel. Otherwise you need to figure out how you "overlay" with the reviewers preference.

The Bonafide over the years has been a good example. Some of the comments on sizing have always intrigued me.

Once again, a lot of great skis being made that cover a wide horizon of skills.

Good stuff!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Hmm, maybe I should hold on to my like new 2015 187 Bones...

But in all honesty, this is a trajectory every great ski seems to follow. First it needs to be seriously good to ingratiate itself to the reviewers who have the skills and appreciate real high performance. Then after it dominates the tests for a year or two every 28 year old city dude with disposable income would want to own it because "that's what the best skiers ski". And then inevitably the company needs to make sure that buyers stay with the brand because at some point the rubber hits the road and the ski needs to perform for its customers.

That's what happened to the ProRider whose last edition was way less ski than the original, same with the Mantra to some extent.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back on the 2018 Bones today but w/ a twist. As many of you may know mine are mounted w/ Marker Schizos. Today I moved them fwd +1 cm........... all I can say is ........... they are staying there from now on! I use them for east coast hardpack up to @4-5" new (after that it's up to my 110's underfoot). WOW these skis woke up! They've gone from "Tool" to "Weapon"! Move them fwd for a nice surprise just be prepared for the fun factor to jump off the charts. Mine are 180 in length and I'm 215 lbs. Today's conditions eastern mank, packed pow, dust on crust....... These were my "Work" skis............ they are now my "FUN" skis............ The words that usually come to mind when describing the Bones w/ their two layers of metal are.......... Expert, Work, Hard Charging, Intense, Heavy, Versatile, Demanding............. etc...... Now I place FUN squarely and firmly at the top of that list after today's experiment. Holy CRAP what a ski! Blizzard NAILED this one! Good Job and Schizo's Rule.......... Changed the feel and turning speed of this ski and totally ramped up the fun w/ a few turns of a phillips head driver. Okay I need to go calm down!........ What a RUSH!:beercheer:

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
YoMa, missed seeing you again after opening day at BW!! Great write up on the Bones!

I have the 2016 Brahama in my quiver and love them .I brought my Super 7's and Brahams out to UT twice this winter and decided that I liked the Brahamas way better in crud than the Super 7's and was very happy with them in up to 18" of powder. Having said that, I am wondering how the new Bones might fit into my quiver.
What lengths do they come in?

Thanks,

Paul

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
YoMa, missed seeing you again after opening day at BW!! Great write up on the Bones!

I have the 2016 Brahama in my quiver and love them .I brought my Super 7's and Brahams out to UT twice this winter and decided that I liked the Brahamas way better in crud than the Super 7's and was very happy with them in up to 18" of powder. Having said that, I am wondering how the new Bones might fit into my quiver.
What lengths do they come in?

Thanks,

Paul
Hey Paul! Sorry I missed ya! Maybe we'll have a chance to catch up before the season is out. :wave: The 2018 Bones come in 173, 180, 187. Hmmm?.........w/ the Brahma's, and liking them, not sure you'll need a set of Bones in the quiver. But I'm definitely not an authority on that one.... Has anyone tried both?

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
Just thought I would like to take them for a ride. But, do I need them? I guess, not; I am pretty satisfied with my quiver at the moment, but then again........

I would like them in a shorter length; so I guess I am safe.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey Paul! Sorry I missed ya! Maybe we'll have a chance to catch up before the season is out. :wave: The 2018 Bones come in 173, 180, 187. Hmmm?.........w/ the Brahma's, and liking them, not sure you'll need a set of Bones in the quiver. But I'm definitely not an authority on that one.... Has anyone tried both?
Yep, new Brahma received the same improvment and is just as good..just narrower. I beleive the Bonafide still comes in a 166 also.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, new Brahma received the same improvment and is just as good..just narrower. I beleive the Bonafide still comes in a 166 also.
Hey Phil........ Welcome to the Ice Coast! .......... If he has the Brahma's does he need a set of Bones?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^^ recon on the new rustler 10 / 11 - anyone ?
Yummy.

Here are pics of the 11 cat skiing.
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG