• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Bones

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's late so just a quickie. Skied them today, drills and test mode, on machine groomed and chop + dust on crust. They are similar to the older versions of the Bones in weight and overall feel but Blizzard has most definitely significantly reduced that heavy turn weight feel of the ski. The 2018's are easier to engage into a turn and release from the turn. The tails continue to release at your command or hold if you so desire.
It remains a heavy ski that craves speed, however I found myself having a bit more fun whipping off rapid fire turns at slower speeds, a feat which was damn near impossible w/ the old Bones and mere mortal leg strength. Blizzard has pulled off a quicker turning ski w/o losing much of that familiar GS feel of the older versions.

The new ski gives up a very slight bit of top end, as I still don't have the cojones to drive the older version any faster than I have, and they just keep asking for more speed........the 2018's were super stable at high speed but I could tell that they were approaching a limit.......... but that was well above what would be considered safe on open piste so no worries about maxing out............. One surprise was how well this ski rebounded in tight turns. That was totally unexpected and caught me a little off guard. Remaining true to Flip Core form, they can be skied comfortably from the front or back seats and switch was a breeze.

The finish, color and out of the box tune was nice............ no rush to take them to the shop for a touch up. I mounted them up w/ some Griffon Schizo's last night, pretty straight fwd mounting process. The metal in the topsheet drilled pretty clean and found no discrepancies in the core where drilled. The quality remains top notch. I mounted them on boot center and will try them out a few cm fwd and back to evaluate (Love my Schizos Baby!).

Have fun out there and be safe! :beercheer:

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another note after re-reading is that I'm 215lbs and continue to ski the Bones in a 180. I have no desire to go longer on this ski. I generally fluctuate between 200 and 218 depending on my conditioning ( during kiteboarding season you drop weight like crazy and can't seem to eat enough! LOL)........... anyway I noticed that the heavier I get, the easier it is to ski the Bones........... at least the old ones. This ski seems to appreciate some heft, power and skill in the driver. The one thing I will accentuate w/ the new 2018 ski, is that you can now add a higher degree of "Finesse" to that equation. This ski can now dance w/ you. It remains a powerful "Tool" in my quiver (See Toys Vs Tool thread) .......... for days where I'm feeling like hammering.

It was a tough decision not to try out, or switch over to the Renoun Endurance (98) skis. It came down to an East Coast terrain decision. I pretty much destroyed my old Bones on a submerged rock at the bottom of a drop......... and yes I got tossed on to my head but landed in pow so no issues ...right under the chair (POSER ALERT! ha ha ha ha)........ I had to get some major repair on my Sick Day 110's after breaking trail on some "off map" single track mtn bike trails............ This is just not terrain conducive to a $1000 ski........ I'd be in tears if I destroyed or even dinged the Renouns! I'd LOVE to take them "There" (Drooling) but .......... alas budgeting/reality check.......Uggh!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My "man friend" who has a pretty impressive skiing resume' took out the 2018 Bones yesterday and said they are definitely an improvement. He liked them a lot.
Seems like Blizzard has done a good job with their 2018 skis, as I loved the Sheeva 10s and the Black Pearl 88s a whole lot!

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
And to think - I actually love last years Bones! Still in too good of shape to change now - but very impressed if they actually improved them.

My wife has been playing around with the BP 88, Samba or the Armada Victa 93. She is kind of leaning toward the Victa - but has not been on any of the new BP's yet.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And to think - I actually love last years Bones! Still in too good of shape to change now - but very impressed if they actually improved them.

My wife has been playing around with the BP 88, Samba or the Armada Victa 93. She is kind of leaning toward the Victa - but has not been on any of the new BP's yet.
The new BP is a whole different animal, and yet, it's not! Turn initiation is improved, and it feels smoother. I owned the original 2011 version, and there have been very few changes since then...until now.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yo Momma - Sounds like you need to move to the West. You'll like it a lot better and your skis will certainly last longer.
I lived out there many moons ago......... I miss it. GF dragged me back east kicking and screaming!............ on two of my last few ski days while living out there, I had taken a random Thurs & Fri off............ It DUMPED like crazy and I skied first tracks for every single run, for two days straight in knee deep............ I have a pic somewhere of my buddy and I hiking one of the ridges and looking back across the bowl at the chair and main trails ...... TONS of pow, and NOBODY else in the pic!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
He just has to move an hour west to get less rocky tree trails :P

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tested the 2018's for a few runs on a closed race course today and confirmed that when it comes to top end ........... these are not the old Bones. I was not surprised that Blizzard sacrificed blinding speed for a more turn friendly ski. This is definitely not a critique. I prefer the new "easier skiing" version of the Bones. It remains a very fast ski w/ rock solid edge hold and has retained it's solid GS and crud slaying nature. However, now it has become a more versatile tool that is a bit easier on the muscles and joints, and is maneuverable at just about any speed .....you no longer need to be an Olympic athlete w/ titanium knees to keep up w/ this ski all day long ....... and it's probably safer at the reduced speeds!

Still VERY surprised at how well this ski bangs out rapid fire turns w/ a very nice, solid and predictable rebound at just about any speed. I was prepared for it this time and they did not disappoint. They give you back what you input......... a nice interplay w/ the ski...... Also as expected they wouldn't be Bones if they didn't carve like a GS ski... lay them out all the way across a wide slope for some nice G's and they just ask for more........ that was fun as Hell!

Have fun out there :)

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Tested the 2018's for a few runs on a closed race course today and confirmed that when it comes to top end ........... these are not the old Bones. I was not surprised that Blizzard sacrificed blinding speed for a more turn friendly ski. This is definitely not a critique. I prefer the new "easier skiing" version of the Bones. It remains a very fast ski w/ rock solid edge hold and has retained it's solid GS and crud slaying nature. However, now it has become a more versatile tool that is a bit easier on the muscles and joints, and is maneuverable at just about any speed .....you no longer need to be an Olympian athlete w/ titanium knees to keep up w/ this ski all day long ....... and it's probably safer at the reduced speeds! Have fun out there :)

Exactly, not many people in the world can ski like this:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Marcus Caston, BTW, was a hell of a ski racer before he shifted gears. He grew up in SLC, skiing primarily at Snowbird, went to Rowmark, I think. He was on the bubble of the USST D team. Great speed skier, great touch. It was Marcus who first told our son to try a 187cm Bonafide in 2011, telling him that he was going to be blown away at all that the ski could do. Our son's background is similar.

Love to watch Marcus ski. And I like this video as so much of it is in bounds stuff.

On the 2018 ski, from what I am hearing, Phil's reports are dead on. 90% of the buying public will like this new ski better that the previous generation. Just as the huge majority preferred the carbon tip ski to it's predecessor. Sounds like Yo Momma is one of the converts. Gains outweigh the "losses."

But not everybody. I have heard this direct comment: "It's been too pussyfied now." And that comment is from a woman. Who skis a 180cm, and has since 2012. I have heard the same from two guys. Both are lining up some more 2017's, as they just like the ski as is.

I have a brand new pair of 2016's and a second in shrink wrap. Also have some 2013's. All 187cm.

Marcus is a pretty small guy, but incredibly strong, with perfect balance and technique. He's obviously got a great business deal with Tecnica Blizzard. I think it actually started with his trying the products, being impressed and basically being sponsored in terms of equipment. Obviously it's taken off since. Bigger name in spot each year!

Another example. Blizzard Bodacious generation one being reintroduced. Our son has a few pairs of the originals in a 196cm. Has never loved the newer skis as much, though he has skied them quite a lot. I have the gen one in two lengths. The more recent skis are a heck of a lot more useful for 95% of the buyers. Smart move by them. I get it.

My son and I both had the original Brahma, and he skied his on a lot of days. Often work days. I found that I didn't need both the Brahma and Bonafide. I skied the Brahma with the carbon tips for a week last season and I liked it much more than the original. The original was to me kind of a 2X4 plank.

The original Cochise was the crud buster by which all others are judged. I found that I didn't need a dedicated crud buster. I have skied the most recent ski, and liked it quite a bit. For my needs, not enough to own it. But I think that ski would have 99% saying it's better. Can't recall if the 2017-2018 is a new release.

So go figure. I guess that's why we try them out. But with this Bonafide, the better for the vast majority of skiers might be coming with some dissapointment for a few others. Hearing that from people with a fair amount of time on them.

I think it's one downside to a ski that becomes wildly popular, and where to be frank, a lot of profitable sales probably were not the best match. Keeping the name and making them more skiable for more skiers makes good business sense.

Now, conversely, I am hearing nobody saying that the newest Head Monster 88 and 98 are anything but improved. No downsides.

Waiting on some Nordica Intel.

So many good skis. And constant tweaking!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I welcome the new changed Brahma for sure...

I have had both the OG and the carbon version in the 180cm.....and I feel it skis to short, but with a sidecut that is too long for its short size. The new 180cm Brahma might fix that....if not Ill be looking at the Monster 88 or Pro mountain 86 to replace my brahmas.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Muleski's sources echo my feelings on the new Bones. I have gen 2 and carbon tip models. I prefer both over the "improved" edition. I totally get how the new model is better for more skiers and why changes are made to pump sales by making the product more accessible. To me not every ski needs to be so accessible.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good posts and lot of good info. My older Bones are Gen 1. At my age 55, I've noticed that my legs and joints just can't push that heft all day anymore on advanced terrain. Thus the "Detune" makes the ski continue to be "accessible" for me. I agree w/ @Muleski and think it was smart business for Blizzard to market to those of us (like me) at the "advanced intermediate" mid point of the bell curve. Unfortunately, for those like Marcus that are true experts, they are left in a world w/ less tools for now. Once the injuries and age catch up, that's when a new appreciation for detuning kicks in. I'm off to soak my "Real" Bones in some Epsom salt now! ............limping off into the sunset.......... LOL

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting discussion. I'm 62, BTW. I certainly buy into the logic in Blizzard making this evolution of the Bonafide. They are not fools, and their research and dealer input has no doubt led them this way. The end result should be more sales volume. All good.

I also appreciate the continued accessibility point of @YoMamma's . The new "detuned" ski sounds like a great new ski for him. And moving the actual performance of the ski a touch downstream might be brilliant.

I still find the Bonafide story fascinating. No doubt it sold like wildfire for a long time. And equally clear to me is that it was a popularly poor choice for many. I was in CO visiting family a couple of winters ago, and I swear that every vacationing barely intermediate male was skiing a short Bonafide. In some cases not well....struggling. And in a gondola line, more than once I had some dentist from
NJ remarking that my 187cm skis were really long. Uh-huh, still wish they built a 193cm.

The ski has always been kind of polarizing. I have friends who can really ski who love them, and other similar skier friends who are absolutely non plussed. Kind of "meh", or just feel there are better options for them. Varies by where they ski as well. If you are pretty skilled, you love it, or it does nothing for you.

I do think that if Blizzard still markets it as a high end ski, they will attract "aspiring" expert skiers. They will sell, for sure. And that may be the plan. Is the ski still a huge part of the Blizzard franchise?

Guess it shows that the strategy of rolling out a new ski model, and marketing as dimensionally identical to the Bonafide but more user friendly in these ways, through these changes, is just a non starter. As the public buys the "top line" ski. I think it's the same with every company these days.

Note that Blizzard has not rolled out a beefier model of the current Bonafide, perhaps even with a 193cm or so length option. Nor has Nordica rolled out a 185cm and 193cm "Pro" version of the 100mm and 93mm Enforcer.
There IS a market for those types of skis, but it's a small one. And....does it cannibalize the sales of the other stock? Dunno.

And if you roll out that kind of ski, you are still going to have people over-equipped. Back before the Internet selling, a company like Stockli offered some big bad ass skis. And, almost always knowledgeable shop employees would explain that the 98% of those who looked at them would hate them. Not for you! Nope...this is a better option.

There used to be a lot of skis in that kind of category. Not so many today. For those who really would benefit from them, that is unfortunate. But it does make business sense not to build them. I want the industry to thrive. So I do get it.

Might be an option for the boutique custom ski builders? And that creates issues for those who would ski them, as they buy them on the cheap, if they pay at all!

Will be interesting to see how the new Bodacious sells. It is a lot of ski. GREAT ski.

Anybody been on the 115mm Enforcer Pro yet?

Last edited:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really enjoying this thread. I am intrigued by the new model and hope to get on it in an upcoming demo day. I have owned the original Bonafide in 187 since year 1. For me, it was love at first ski and I was obsessed with picking up the ski until I bought them from Dawg a couple weeks later. It is still my favorite of the 13 skis I own (6 of which see fairly regular use).

I like the idea of a slightly shorter turn radius. If they are slightly tamer I suspect they will be better in the moguls which is the one condition where I don't really like to ski the Bonafide. Like everything, there are trade offs involved and am anxious to see if they got the balance right for me.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting discussion.

There used to be a lot of skis in that kind of category. Not so many today. For those who really would benefit from them, that is unfortunate. But it does make business sense not to build them. I want the industry to thrive. So I do get it.

Might be an option for the boutique custom ski builders? And that creates issues for those who would ski them, as they buy them on the cheap, if they pay at all!

Will be interesting to see how the new Bodacious sells. It is a lot of ski. GREAT ski.

Like these guys......... their focus is in the "Expert" category: http://bomberski.com/

Many moons ago, back when I was "in real shape"............ I purchased the 1st gen Bones and based on skiing and loving them I purchased the Gen 1 Cochise......... BIG, HUGE mistake for me........... I just could not ski them. Too big, too heavy too huge for me (and I have BIG legs!)............ I took them out west for one trip where we got tons of pow and ended up renting skis rather than punishing my body.......... I eventually sold them. Admittedly a great ski that did exactly as advertised, but just too much for my "recreational" bones .......... and I was in "Sick" shape at the time!! ha ha ...........not any more! LOL

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Muleski's sources echo my feelings on the new Bones. I have gen 2 and carbon tip models. I prefer both over the "improved" edition. I totally get how the new model is better for more skiers and why changes are made to pump sales by making the product more accessible. To me not every ski needs to be so accessible.
After skiing the Black Pearl 98 (will always be the Samba to me) and the Sheeva 10 (102mm under foot) I wonder if the Rustler is the direction they think the old Bone lover will go.
I REALLY liked the Sheeva 10. Its definitely not the old Sheeva!
[insert thought bubble here]
Is the 102mm Rustler the new replacement for the old Bone?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
There is no way the Rustler/sheeva series is a replacement for the old bones... They are for sure chargery than the Old sheeva/Peacemaker/Gunsmokes though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is no way the Rustler/sheeva series is a replacement for the old bones... They are for sure chargery than the Old sheeva/Peacemaker/Gunsmokes though.
Have you had a chance to get on them yet? Just curious.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid