• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2017 Tour de France

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have any thoughts / predictions on who will be the leaders this year? Froome? Not as many mountains this year, so he could do well, although he hasn't done much this year. Romaine Bardet? young up and comer. Richie Porte ? has been doing very well this year. Nairo Quintana? Alberto Contador? Is he too old?
It could be an interesting race.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Froome has one more in him before one of the "youngsters" push the old guard aside.

But an upset, or even an almost-upset, would make it so much more interesting.

Mostly, I hope for the absence of scandal and/or runaway victory by anybody.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Froome has been building up for the Tour..hard to judge his form because he hasn't done many races. Quintana tried hard in the Giro..hard to do the double. Probably Froome is looking better. Contador is done I think. Porte seems on the up but I don't believe it. I can't see anyone beating Froome other than Quintana and I think he did too much in the Giro. That's why they race though cuz you never know! :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read that one of Contador's lieutenants (don't remember the name) was kicked off for doping violations.
....plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. Andre Cardoso, rides for Trek / Segafredo, Contadors team, has tested positive for EPO. The sample was from an out of competition test, one week after the Criterium de Dauphine .
1 down, 197 to go (riders)

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. Taylor Phoney gets a 12th in the opening TT. Good for him. His first big race since a major crash that broke his bones big time.

Alejandro Valverde crashed out , broke his kneecap. Tough to train all season for a race , only to be out in the first morning

scott43

Skier
Wow. Taylor Phoney gets a 12th in the opening TT. Good for him. His first big race since a major crash that broke his bones big time.

Alejandro Valverde crashed out , broke his kneecap. Tough to train all season for a race , only to be out in the first morning
Yeah and that's going to make Quintana's life more difficult as well. Froome is looking good. Can Thomas usurp him? Doubt it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Long-term time fan of the Liggett/Sherwen/Roll/Vandevelde/et al commentary on the series of cable channels whose most recent incarnation is NBC[SN]. Other than the ads, naturally.

I no longer have a cable tv subscription, but I do have Apple TV. So this year I sprang for the "NBC Sports Gold Cycling Pass" so I could watch the tour.

What a huge disappointment. I had assumed, like an idiot, that since it was NBC it would be the same coverage, only without the ads. Not! Appears it's the "English language international feed." Totally different. Anyone know if there's a way too get the NBCSN coverage on line?

Thanks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thomas in yellow! I read his book, and really enjoyed it.

I'm also a fan of the current commentary team, but wish they'd add Phil Gaimon in some capacity.

Wicked, dry sense of humor!

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Taylor Phinney has another amazing day, and gets the polka dot jersey. For while I thought he might win the stage.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Breakaways were (arguably) more fun to watch before race radio got so sophisticated.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sagan unclips during final sprint, checks shoe for any pebbles, clips back in, proceeds to win stage.

Sheesh!

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
**** SPOILER ALERT**** not that many cyclists would be on here to find out about the Tour.

There is MUCH more than just the crash at the end. Sagan was DQ'd

I'm kind of surprised. I'm sure we've all used our elbows, or even leaned on others, sometime while racing. I understand the points and the time penalties but to get DQ'd wow. Yes he caused the crash. Yes it was dangerous.

Last edited:
TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Originally they gave him a 30s penalty, and 115th place finish. I guess some people thought that wasn't enough.

scott43

Skier
Not like Cavendish hasn't caused some crashes in his day..some intentionally.. Sagan really didn't leave anywhere for him to go. Reminds me of Steve Bauer and Claude Criquelion..

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, and I wouldn't have given him any room either. I guess Cav thought he could force the issue though. When Cav 1st took the line it appeared there was reasonable room. He had to know Sagan would move over. Yes Sagan got a bit aggressive with the elbow. My guess Cav is done.

I guess based on what happened today and the pissing and moaning of elbow use yesterday and probably some petitioning by DD , Sagan is gone.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online