• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 K2 OooLaLuv 85Ti vs 2017 K2 AllLuvit 88

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When one manufacturer makes this ski and that ski with very similar dimensions and turn radii, it makes you ask, Why do I want this instead of that?

K2 vs K2.png

K2 has done this with the OooLaLuv 85Ti and the AllLuvit 88. If you look at their specs, you really can't tell what's different about them; you have to look inside. Both have wood core and metal laminate, but the wood is slightly different. And that's not all: the way they are put together is different as well, giving you two distinct experiences.

The OooLaLuv 85Ti has grooved channels of aspen and paulownia with metal laminate, offering a great ski with reduced swing weight for the frontside skier who wants to blast through crud. The OooLaLuv 85Ti makes me feel like anything in my way is about to be conquered.

The AllLuvit 88 is built with the Konic technology. The fir and aspen throughout the tip, center, and tail of the ski make it light and lively, while the metal (Bioflex) along the edges gives it power, stability, and strength. When I get on the AllLuvit 88, I feel like I can't make a mistake.

• Why choose the OooLaLuv 85Ti? Because you want a great groomer ski that will blast the crud and hold an edge but won't hinder you in varied terrain.
  • Why choose the AllLuvit 88? Because you want a lively ski to go off piste and slay moguls with finesse.
  • Other skis in the class: Blizzard Black Pearl, Dynastar Glory 89, Völkl Kenja, Armada Victa 87Ti.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Me too. But it would be ... try, but not buy.

I truly wish they'd find another base name for their women's skis. "Luv" got old a long time ago.

And I'd like to compare those with the Victa.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Me too. But it would be ... try, but not buy.

I truly wish they'd find another base name for their women's skis. "Luv" got old a long time ago.

And I'd like to compare those with the Victa.
Hmmm Victa 87 vs. AllLuvit? That could work @Tricia

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Two more I'd like to get out on this winter :D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the hot reviews of the Victa in its first year, it belongs in Da Cage often. Let it earn its ranking!

I'd like to see @Tricia and @coskigirl both pit the Victa against the comparable Joy.
I think its me and @SkiNurse who have been giving the Victa high marks.
:thumb:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I know. That's part of my plan! You and @coskigirl have different body styles and different skis that you rate high. Your swapping them should produce some interesting insight.

Of course, there would be certain logistical challenges, but I'll leave that to the CageMaster!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know. That's part of my plan! You and @coskigirl have different body styles and different skis that you rate high. Your swapping them should produce some interesting insight.

Of course, there would be certain logistical challenges, but I'll leave that to the CageMaster!
I like the Great Joy a lot, which is what @coskigirl is in love with.
You'd be surprised how many skis @SkiNurse and I feel differently about.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the shops in Ogden employees told me the Victa was a homerun winner amongst it's female staffers when they tested it last spring.
I'm anxious to see what my mountain has in its demo fleet. I doubt the Armada is one of them.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Kenja was like that too, its first year out. It's interesting to watch how a following develops and who hyped skis appeal to as they get out in use by the public.

Surprising to read how different these 2 K2 skis are, based on their specs. Reviews by people like the testers here are invaluable in helping us sort through which skis to try.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kenja was like that too, its first year out. It's interesting to watch how a following develops and who hyped skis appeal to as they get out in use by the public.

Surprising to read how different these 2 K2 skis are, based on their specs. Reviews by people like the testers here are invaluable in helping us sort through which skis to try.
That's the reason we started doing cage matches. Its interesting how many times we have questions come up about skis with similar dimensions, "How different can they be?"
Some skis with nearly same dimensions can, and often do, ski very differently and its fun to talk about it. :D
As we get closer to the Whistler GTG I'll see what we have in the demo fleet and we'll talk about getting some of you ladies on a few.

James

Out There
Instructor
I know of at least 2 potential sales of this K2 line that just couldn't deal with the names.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
But there's a lot of good skis out there. Re: K2, I too thought the name girly-whirly and that it was getting old, but in reality I'd rather see a company invest their bucks on the technology and development of a quality ski, so I'd go in open-minded.

Although, 'Vicki on her Victas' does have a nice ring to it, as in "There goes....".

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been on the Victas for the last 5 ski days and they have performed beautifully in the early season conditions. I am jonesing getting them into the trees and *normal* winter terrain. :popcorn:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are a couple pair of Oolaluv's at the local consignment shop. Probably from a local demo fleet. They are around $250. It's tempting to pick them up. There are days (like yesterday) where the stiffness of the Kenjas is more than I like. Granted, it was my first runs of the season and I've lost 8 lbs. I'm a little concerned that the 8 lbs. is just enough to make them less flexy for me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid