2016-17 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread....

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Jed Peters, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Philpug

Philpug So much better than a pro Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Take a look at the resolution now...if that is no different, you might have to click the HD button yourself which is under the settings (cog) button.

2. Mendieta

Mendieta Master of Snowplow Moderator

Ah, but the original question (and my own curiosity) was, really, whether you can take a video and simply upload it to the Pug server like you upload a pic on the spot ... I don't think that's possible, right?

3. textrovert

textrovert Getting off the lift Skier

Videos, especially POV ones, always make everything look like a bunny hill. I watch for the way the little snow clusters roll down as an indication of the steepness.You can really see them moving in this one.

Mendieta likes this.
  4. Mendieta

Yes, POV captures the speed very well and the terrain very poorly

textrovert likes this.
  5. Andy Mink

Andy Mink Experience level may vary during the run Skier

Goofed uploax.

skibob likes this.
  6. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

The extended SB schedule just has been announced. Apr 23 had been their last date.
    Sugar Bowl will be open Friday - Sunday only, until May 7th

Judah/Jerome hill area & lodge close April 23. Use Gondola entrance after April 23

more: http://www.sugarbowl.com/home

textrovert, Philpug and Mendieta like this.
  7. skibob

skibob Out on the slopes Skier

How is the snow holding up at N* and other "lower than Rose" elevations with the sun and rain this week? Are opening bell frozen dangerous? Anything worth skiing after noon? Just trying to plan my day tomorrow and sunday . . .

Mendieta likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean Booting up Skier

N* has been holding up really well this week. Crispy first thing in the morning then softening nicely by 11 or so on the western aspects.
    Creamy by 0930 on the easterns and the backside ok by 1000-1030 depending on the refreeze temp. I have been shutting it down by 1230 but thats just my preference im sure you could push it to 1330 or better.

TahoeCharlie, Philpug, skibob and 2 others like this.
  9. ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier USSA Coach Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

But you can always use it to advantage. I have a pro picture of me in a DH at mammoth and it looks like a 40 degree slope......till you look at the angle of the posts on the B netting!

Mendieta, skibob and textrovert like this.
  10. Mendieta

We call it 'optimistic overcompensation of the camera angle'.

11. Andy Mink

N* is skiing nicely today. A little crispy opening but softening quickly. Backside is getting really good at 11:30.
    Beer on the deck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    skibob, textrovert and Mendieta like this.
  12. Andy Mink

At Monument Glades with @Tricia, Ann, and Ed. 20170421_101447.jpg

TahoeCharlie, Philpug, skibob and 2 others like this.
  13. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Booting up Skier

I was able to get out this afternoon and skied Squaw from 12:30 to 4:00. I had a great time. I love spring skiing and it didn’t get much better than today.

Here’s a few random pics from today. Note: The pictures aren’t exciting, but they might give someone a sense of what the conditions are currently like at Squaw.

[​IMG]
    Taken from KT chair.

[​IMG]
    KT: West Face and Chute 75.

[​IMG]
    Taken from KT chair.

[​IMG]
    Top of The Slot.

[​IMG]
    Top of Headwall.

[​IMG]
    Light Towers off of Headwall.

[​IMG]
    Headwall Chair.

[​IMG]
    Red Dog Chair.

[​IMG]
    Siberia.

[​IMG]
    Hogsback. (Off of Headwall)

[​IMG]
    Palisades. (Taken from top of Headwall.)

[​IMG]
    Top of KT. (Looking towards Headwall)

[​IMG]
    Taken from KT chair.

[​IMG]
    Taken from KT chair.

Tricia, skibob, John Webb and 4 others like this.
  14. Mendieta

Made it to Sugar Bowl, parked at Judah, red pants, ski-blue jacket, red helmet, in case some one is around and up to share a couple runs

20170422_080610.jpg 20170422_081605.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Tricia, Philpug, skibob and 2 others like this.
  15. Andy Mink

Turns out someone got video of the "mishap"!

Tricia, Philpug, skibob and 1 other person like this.
  16. skibob

skibob Out on the slopes Skier

Northstar was strange today. Good hero snow. Quickly, and I mean quickly devolved into mush. Then clouds rolled in and literally the snow started to go backwards toward hero snow. Never made it all the way back . . .

Then, on last run headed down Logger's loop. Only to see ground squirrels everywhere in the middle of the runs. They'd see you coming and "poof" disappear. Not run off, but disappear. Turns out they are coming out of hibernation and burrowing up through the snow. Little 4" holes in the snow everywhere! When a skier comes they retreat to their burrow. Kinda fun once you know you aren't going to hit them!

Andy Mink, Mendieta and textrovert like this.
  17. Andy Mink

I had a bug/moth flying around inside my goggles at N* yesterday. Is this the spring skiing people talk about?

skibob and textrovert like this.
  18. 4ster

4ster Sucking a little less each day Instructor

Arrived in Tahoe Wednesday night. Interesting Contrast between Thutsday morning...
    image.jpeg

...& the same time from 2015
    image.jpeg

Skied at my old stomping grounds of Sierra at Tahoe Friday & Saturday. A few good corn runs past the western boundary first thing then some sweet softening groomers mid morning & into the Clipper bumps in the afternoon. The kids even dragged me into the half pipe a couple of times. While they are throwing tricks above the wall, I was safely content banking turns about halfway up.
    Alec proving overalls aren't just for work anymore:
    Alec (Bubba).jpg
    After working there for almost 25 years it was fun to re visit after being away for about 15 years! Still love it there. Heading back tomorrow to meet up with my niece for the day.
    Their last day is Monday with customer appreciation day $25 tickets. Proceeds go to area youth sports programs. Check the website for hours & details.
    As with everywhere in Tahoe, still some big snow banks.
    image.jpeg

I pulled the trigger on the Squalpine midweek pass, so I will need to get some days in there during the next month.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Tricia, textrovert and Mendieta like this.
  19. Mendieta

Lovely day at Sugar Bowl. I went to scout the area, on behalf of my kids :)

I parked early at Judah, and off I went. Got a ticket, full price, ouch. Grabbed breakfast in a very empty lodge (there were probably 6 more tables occupied). Headed to the lifts.

Sugar Bowl has a very well thought out lift system. Very little traversing on catwalks (thank you), and for the most thing, you ski top to bottom, like in Deer Valley. I explored quite a bit of the mountain for the few (four) hours I spent. My last run was close to 1pm and it was nasty slush. I don't need an injury, I simply left.

The run of the day was Van Ruiten's run, off of Christmas tree. I overheard someone said that they set the gates there? In any case, it was holding up much better than most, and I took a lot of runs to improve my carving a bit. Some of the better skiers were there, ripping it, running drills, etc.

I also enjoyed bumps. I can't believe I would ever say that. Thank you @Mark Downing for the suggestion and @lswedish for the bumps lesson. There were soft, moderate bumps in some of the mild single blacks (Donner's way and Steamers), and in a mild bowl to the right of Christmas Tree, as you go up. I took a few of those runs. Not as much rithm and flow as I should have, but it will take some time and I am loving it.

Disney and Mt Lincoln have some naughty terrain. Some stuff I should venture into, yet.

Overall, it seems to me that this mountain offers a lot more to the intermediate than Mt Rose. Which doesn't mean I don't still love Rose. It's just that there is a lot of mild terrain labeled as blue, rightly so, but on the mild side of blue. Which is great to develop skills. Most blues in Rose are steeper. Overall, I like the landscape better in Rose, and I don't know why. I somehow feel more inserted in a mountain. The train horn goes off now and then in Sugar Bowl and that's not ideal. Not a deal breaker, but I didn't quite feel as connected with the mountain.

The vibe was really good. Lots of locals, as it turned out from my conversations. I spoke to a bunch of people, since I went solo.

Ok, some pics.

TOP OF JEROME HILL EXPRESS LIFT:
    20170422_094455.jpg

DONNER'S WAY RUN:
    20170422_095705.jpg 20170422_095715.jpg

MT LINCOLN EXPRESS LIFT:
    20170422_101756.jpg 20170422_101800.jpg

TOP OF MT LINCOLN:
    20170422_102407.jpg

VAN RUITEN'S RUN:
    20170422_113642.jpg 20170422_113653.jpg

THE BOWL OFF CHRISTMAS TREE (Mentioned above)
    20170422_114033.jpg

LUNCH :)

20170422_120300.jpg

skibob, ProLeisure and textrovert like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Booting up Skier

I didnt see your post from this morning until i got home. I was one of those doing laps on van ruitens. You heard correctly about the gates. That pitch is closed most of the time for the race school or races being held there. Perfect pitch to let it rip and drill on. I made the call to shut it down for the day at about 11 due to too many people trying to go down it and it getting too soft.

textrovert and Mendieta like this.