• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Friday is the planned opening day. Phil and I are both scheduled to work at the shop on Friday for opening.
Beyond that, we just have no idea.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Friday is the planned opening day. Phil and I are both scheduled to work at the shop on Friday for opening.
Beyond that, we just have no idea.

I sent an email to the alpine team's head coach.....we will see what he says and I'll report back. Should be tough to get everything ready in 3 days!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
News release from Northstar...
set new Opening Day target dates from Friday, Nov. 18 to Wednesday, Nov. 23 at Heavenly and Northstar. Shops, restaurants and activities in Heavenly Village and The Village at Northstar will open Friday, Nov. 18; Heavenly will offer scenic gondola rides and Ridge Rider Coaster tours Saturday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 20.

Kirkwood will continue with preparations for the ski season and will announce its opening day as soon as possible following the opening day for Heavenly and Northstar.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
set new Opening Day target dates from Friday, Nov. 18 to Wednesday, Nov. 23 at Heavenly and Northstar. Shops, restaurants and activities in Heavenly Village and The Village at Northstar will open Friday, Nov. 18; Heavenly will offer scenic gondola rides and Ridge Rider Coaster tours Saturday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 20.

Kirkwood will continue with preparations for the ski season and will announce its opening day as soon as possible following the opening day for Heavenly and Northstar.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

So what does "Ridge Rider Coaster tours" mean exactly. I could see taking the kids up there on Sunday. Seeing as how we won't be able to ski. Grumble grumble.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
So what does "Ridge Rider Coaster tours" mean exactly. I could see taking the kids up there on Sunday. Seeing as how we won't be able to ski. Grumble grumble.

It means you can pay an obscene amount for a sub-par mountain top roller coaster! :)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It means you can pay an obscene amount for a sub-par mountain top roller coaster! :)
Got it. The word "tours" was throwing me. I've ridden the coaster. Thought it was fun. Don't have anything to compare to. A lot cheaper for passholders than GP. Was worth doing once.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its windy and cold here in Reno but (so far) the precipitation from this system has been a bust. Heading up to Northstar in a couple hours. We'll report as the precip comes in.
:popcorn:

Got it. The word "tours" was throwing me. I've ridden the coaster. Thought it was fun. Don't have anything to compare to. A lot cheaper for passholders than GP. Was worth doing once.
I would check to see if they're honoring season pass' for (at least) gondola rides.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking at the last 4 years, 2 of the 4 we didn't get out first days on snow until after the November 25th. With the opening on the 23rd, chances are employees will be blacked out for most or at least part of the holiday weekend. As much as I want to hit the snow, I really have no problem with that because there too many skiers for too little real estate.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looking at the last 4 years, 2 of the 4 we didn't get out first days on snow until after the November 25th. With the opening on the 23rd, chances are employees will be blacked out for most or at least part of the holiday weekend. As much as I want to hit the snow, I really have no problem with that because there too many skiers for too little real estate.
Last season spoiled us. I think there were 60-some runs open by thanksgiving! That is what I am dreading--a million people on WROD. But they are at least blowing snow up on east ridge and west ridge right now. That probably means they will try to have at least Luggi's open and something on the other side--maybe just west ridge to skid? Worth going up and getting rid of the cobwebs I guess. But not much else.

There look to be several small waves of precip between now and thanksgiving. Given N* snowmaking capacity maybe it will be ok. I think they may be anticipating some of that being rain at lower elevations, as they only seem to be making snow up high right now.

Either way, I won't go anywhere near the mountain on Fri/Sat next week! We usually ski thurs and celebrate friday :).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Chances are we will either be on snow in the AM or at the shop.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Last season spoiled us. I think there were 60-some runs open by thanksgiving! That is what I am dreading--a million people on WROD. But they are at least blowing snow up on east ridge and west ridge right now. That probably means they will try to have at least Luggi's open and something on the other side--maybe just west ridge to skid? Worth going up and getting rid of the cobwebs I guess. But not much else.

There look to be several small waves of precip between now and thanksgiving. Given N* snowmaking capacity maybe it will be ok. I think they may be anticipating some of that being rain at lower elevations, as they only seem to be making snow up high right now.

Either way, I won't go anywhere near the mountain on Fri/Sat next week! We usually ski thurs and celebrate friday :).
OTOH, they have recently shut off all the webcams around the lower lodge. Annoys me, simply because I like to watch their progress. But they usually do that when they are setting things up I think. Unless you insiders know a different reason they do it?

EDIT: Rose is running NW lift right now. And I swear I see snowmaking (and coverage) at the top of NW. Can't recall seeing snowmaking equip up there, but swear it looks like it . . . .

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OTOH, they have recently shut off all the webcams around the lower lodge. Annoys me, simply because I like to watch their progress. But they usually do that when they are setting things up I think. Unless you insiders know a different reason they do it?

EDIT: Rose is running NW lift right now. And I swear I see snowmaking (and coverage) at the top of NW. Can't recall seeing snowmaking equip up there, but swear it looks like it . . . .

Just looked at both Rose base and top. Yes, can see snow making at base and at top (lower right edge of view, close to drop off). IIRC, I've seen snow making up top in previous years too.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I was up at Rose today. they are busy making snow, top and bottom, but a long way to go. Will open Friday but limited.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Check this out. This is the long range cam at N*. I think it is mounted out by 267 on one of the Castle Peak Parking lot buildings. It shows how abundant N*s snowmaking capabilities are. I never would have thought you could see a cloud of snow like that that far away. And the coverage they have achieved over this view yesterday, when the lower half of the mountain (where you see all of that snow blowing) is amazing. Lower half was mostly brown yesterday.

upload_2016-11-17_7-5-41.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Check this out. This is the long range cam at N*. I think it is mounted out by 267 on one of the Castle Peak Parking lot buildings. It shows how abundant N*s snowmaking capabilities are. I never would have thought you could see a cloud of snow like that that far away. And the coverage they have achieved over this view yesterday, when the lower half of the mountain (where you see all of that snow blowing) is amazing. Lower half was mostly brown yesterday.

View attachment 15901
Some of that white is natural that fell yesterday. I think we will have 1-2 trails off Comstock then down to Mid. If stay cold they will also get Vista open soon. If I am not blacked out Wednesday, will try to make a few turns with @Jed Peters and anyone else who is up there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and I are working at 11 on Wednesday, if we are not blacked out, we will be in the line for first chair when they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.