• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
@Mendieta - I just took a look at the Squaw live cam-
http://squawalpine.roundshot.com/squaw/

The flats around High Camp are all snowless. So do not get on the Tram. That is now just for scenic views from the top (unless you want to hike for there to Shirley).

Funitel --> ski down to Gold Coast Express --> traverse over to Shirley & spend your time lapping the runs from Shirley :)

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
What happened to Siberia? I inquired here earlier, Trish said it ran July 4 in 2011. I couldn't form that much of an opinion when I was there June 2. I thought they might eventually need to move some snow in near Siberia's base, but the upper 80% or so of terrain looked pretty deep.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
What happened to Siberia? I inquired here earlier, Trish said it ran July 4 in 2011. I couldn't form that much of an opinion when I was there June 2. I thought they might eventually need to move some snow in near Siberia's base, but the upper 80% or so of terrain looked pretty deep.

Siberia was turning last weekend.
Palisades was open too, but only National had snow. Looked like it could stay open for a few more weekends.

ETA: Siberia last weekend-

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Made it up with my brother this'll morning for a few hours. Maybe only my third time skiing in shorts.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was a little disappointed that there weren't nearly as many bikinis as advertised :huh:ogwink
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sorry we missed you today @4ster we were with this guy though, he out ranks you.

View attachment 26019
Oops, thought you were going yesterday. I did see "The Man" WW at the top of the lift but I was really just looking for bikinis. Not only does he out rank me, he's got way better hair...

...okay, he's got hair! ogwink
:beercheer:

Bandit2941

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
We've planned a fun summer trip and want to incorporate a Saturday at squaw and have some questions, hoping some locals can help.

We're flying in to Vegas July 19th for a few nights then up to Reno on the earliest flight Saturday July 22. Flight arrives at 8:05. Original ski schedule was 10:30-2:30 so this gave us more time, now I see they changed it to 8:30-12:30 so that makes it tighter. I'm thinking/hoping that since the flight is so early it will go out on time from Vegas and get into Reno on time or a little early. Then straight to rental car desk(not checking any bags) which hopefully has no line since it'll be early and get on the road for squaw. I'm thinking we can get there by 9:30. Think this is realistic or should we look into flying in on the Friday which would cost more?

Next question is, where can we rent skis in a hurry? We are expert skiers and of course would prefer to have our own equipment but since skiing is one day of a week long trip it doesn't make sense to bring our stuff. Is the mountain rental shop open and should we go there or hit something else on the way in?

Finally, any discount tickets floating around? Looks like they want $69. We'll pay that for the experience of skiing in July but if there are any deals that would be great.

After skiing we're going to spend a couple nights in Reno and a couple in SLT. Have been there before in winter but any general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome @Bandit2941. I did see people out there in rental gear so I assume it was from the base, I believe Tahoe Dave's ect have switched over to bikes. If you have a pass from another resort, I believe tickets are 50some dollars. If you are going to be here in Reno for a couple of nights, why not just go Sunday or Monday?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Welcome @Bandit2941 If you have a pass from another resort, I believe tickets are 50some dollars. If you are going to be here in Reno for a couple of nights, why not just go Sunday or Monday?
Sunday or Monday does not work for Bandit294. I think you are cutting it close flying on Sat. when Squaw is only open a day a week. But if you arrive too late or Squaw closes before you plan to be there, Mammoth is a better option and open 7 days a week.

I think you will be stuck renting at Squaw base as other options probably will not be open.

Other pass tickets were $52. It's good to hear that walk-up is now $69 as that mean if my friend does not have a free ticket for me, I should only have to pay $34.50 using Mountain Collective.

I hope to be there on Sunday, July 2. Anyone else going to be around? There is a story on my local TV news titled Skiing in Swimsuits.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A non skiing question:. Is the Flume mountain biking trail on the East Shore rideable now or is it still under snow or we? Thanks!

Second hand reports indicate that that the Flume is good to go from Tunnel Creek up with some water at the beginning. From Spooner it is also doable with some negotiable snow patches.
Shuttle was scheduled to open today.
Local news said that Flume is open from Marlette Lake Side. It will be a while until Mt Rose Meadows side is open.

Phil and I had a good time skiing Sunday morning. Shirley Lake spring bumps were nice!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sunday or Monday does not work for Bandit294. I think you are cutting it close flying on Sat. when Squaw is only open a day a week. But if you arrive too late or Squaw closes before you plan to be there, Mammoth is a better option and open 7 days a week.

I think you will be stuck renting at Squaw base as other options probably will not be open.

Other pass tickets were $52. It's good to hear that walk-up is now $69 as that mean if my friend does not have a free ticket for me, I should only have to pay $34.50 using Mountain Collective.

I hope to be there on Sunday, July 2. Anyone else going to be around? There is a story on my local TV news titled Skiing in Swimsuits.
@Stev is quoted in this one.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-endless-winter-20170617-story.html

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

for 4th of July holiday Squaw will be open for skiing Saturday thru Tuesday 8:30am to 2 pm with pool, hot tub (till 4pm) live bands and other events:

http://squawalpine.com/events-things-do/squaw-valley-freedom-fest?utm_source=passholders+all&utm_campaign=passholders+1617+1718&utm_content=frdm+fest+hottub+summer+events+lodging+06+27+17&RySolCustomerKey=1023827&spMailingID=29554529&spUserID=NzU5ODQ4MTkxNTQS1&spJobID=1063454709&spReportId=MTA2MzQ1NDcwOQS2

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I had some eye (cataract) surgery so missed the last two weekends; I have a new look - no more glasses/contacts, what a difference it makes. I will be skiing this 4th of July weekend at Squaw with some Bay Area friends. Anyone else showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.