• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Piling on the Mount Rose love...here's the view from the entry to Jackpot this morning. The spring skiing has just been incredible this season at Rose, with the Slide side still open until closing day and the Chutes skiing like a dream. It was quite a bit warmer today, so the Chutes closed at noon. Patrollers were spreading the word that the Chutes may not open tomorrow for closing day fun...but they will be skiable for a few more weeks. It's been nice to ski some laps with P&T too.

....and I am noting it's probably time to change my avatar and user name....

View attachment 24861
We skied Jackpot a couple times. Took Miller time the last run of the day. Great day! See you at the tailgate tomorrow!
*let us know what you want to do about changing your username.
You can change your own avatar.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, how do I delete a post? Sorry about the duplicate. I hope to attend one of the Pugski events some day. I have to work tomorrow, so I guess no Mt Rose for me until winter.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Squaw was a lot of fun today: nice and firm in the morning, softening nicely into the afternoon. The snow got a little sticky, of course, but all in all even the bottom of Mountain Run wasn't too bad either at 11:30 when I came down to stop by the passholder party or 3:00, when Squaw unfortunately had to put the entire mountain on a lightning hold. (I hear they did at least manage to run KT-22 from about 6:00 until the planned 7:00 closing, though.)

The contrast from the tops of the mountains to the valley gets pretty interesting this time of year (if there's enough snow, anyway):
IMG_3282.jpg IMG_3295.jpg

Here's a photo from last year for comparison:
IMG_0361.jpg

Finally, I did run into a familiar outfit on the slopes…
IMG_3189.jpg

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_1528.JPG
- I'm hard to miss with the retro onesie.
...True. Matching suit and skis! I rode up the Shirley lift with you today (Sunday). i was the other guy on Stockli (SR88).
We rode KT around 9. Not that fun and my skis are still yelling at me for it. Walked back to the Funitel and skied the rest of the day on the upper mountain. I didn't see much traffic on it when I happen to look. The plus is that Granite Chief should be in great shape!

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Squaw was a lot of fun today: nice and firm in the morning, softening nicely into the afternoon. The snow got a little sticky, of course, but all in all even the bottom of Mountain Run wasn't too bad either at 11:30 when I came down to stop by the passholder party or 3:00, when Squaw unfortunately had to put the entire mountain on a lightning hold. (I hear they did at least manage to run KT-22 from about 6:00 until the planned 7:00 closing, though.)

The contrast from the tops of the mountains to the valley gets pretty interesting this time of year (if there's enough snow, anyway):
View attachment 24870 View attachment 24871

Here's a photo from last year for comparison:
View attachment 24873

Finally, I did run into a familiar outfit on the slopes…
View attachment 24872
hmmm....looks like a lapse in technique on my part....I tend to sit back when just cruzn.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
View attachment 24879
...True. Matching suit and skis! I rode up the Shirley lift with you today (Sunday). i was the other guy on Stockli (SR88).
We rode KT around 9. Not that fun and my skis are still yelling at me for it. Walked back to the Funitel and skied the rest of the day on the upper mountain. I didn't see much traffic on it when I happen to look. The plus is that Granite Chief should be in great shape!
Ah yes, nice chatting with you; hard to beat Stockli's. I started on Shirley about 9:10, it was nice and firm for about an hour.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah yes, nice chatting with you; hard to beat Stockli's. I started on Shirley about 9:10, it was nice and firm for about an hour.
We took many runs down Marillac's later when the gates were pulled. That was firm even on our last run around 2. Had a great view of the Cushing Crossing from the Funitel on the was down! Good day all round.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We will migrate to Squaw once Rose closes then a trip down to Mammoth.

I'd love to hear how Squaw is skiing towards the end of this week, Phil! I can't, and won't accept the end of the season, if I can help it :)

But, of course, there are areas in Squaw that are beyond my current skills, so it may be best to just suck it up. Anyways, I'd appreciate if you can keep an eye for me. Cheers!

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd love to hear how Squaw is skiing towards the end of this week, Phil! I can't, and won't accept the end of the season, if I can help it :)

But, of course, there are areas in Squaw that are beyond my current skills, so it may be best to just suck it up. Anyways, I'd appreciate if you can keep an eye for me. Cheers!
Shirley Lake will be skiing good for some time. There must be 8' or more snow in that area judging by the lift height. You can ski all of that. And if the Main Backside / Shirley Access is groomed off of Granite Chief you got that also.... still more skiing to be had!!

IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1533.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Mendieta there is plenty of terrain for your skill set on the upper part of the mountain. We'll keep you posted on our visit there.

As for Rose, we had fun shutting it down celebrating the gifts of ULLR this past season.
The spring bumps were really nice this morning.
@Toni - Celebrating no pants weekend.
fullsizeoutput_4685.jpeg

The ShotzSki got a work out.
51778691855__8A8FAE97-932D-4CA5-A0FE-9CFAD1194D13.JPG.jpeg IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5155.JPG IMG_5159.JPG

At the end of the day mother nature sent a rainbow to round out a great season.
fullsizeoutput_468a.jpeg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta there is plenty of terrain for your skill set on the upper part of the mountain. We'll keep you posted on our visit there.

Thanks, @Tricia . I just realized that I can probably use my Sugar Bowl pass over there for reciprocity (I got one before the end of the season, for the last few days, and it includes next season). I know the reciprocity is gone next year, but hey.

Thanks, @oldfashoned as well for the info and pics. I am feeling more comfortable around the mountain these days, but I am not dropping into expert terrain yet, which is why I was asking :)

Loved seeing all these pics about closing day at Rose, glad all of you there had a blast! What a season, like @textrovert was saying, what a season. Unforgettable!

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier

You should have no trouble skiing Shirley and possible Granite Chief and Siberia if you slide slip off the top cornice.of these two.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fine snow at Rose today! I looked for the Pug-Fest on the Slide side but was too lazy to check the frontside lot. I will have to catch you guys next season.
Sorry we missed you. I think we're planning on having a similar tailgate party at Squaw when they close, if they close. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.