• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
At Squaw today. My daughter is in their U16 GS camp on Sat/Sun. The race kids and coaches load up the Funitel at 8:00am. General public started at 9:00am as usual. Her camp went on till 12:30pm.

We stopped skiing around 1:45pm. Didn't feel it getting grabby yet. Definitely no overnight freeze. Even the first runs were soft, but everything held up surprisingly well. Pretty hot day too.

Palisades were open. So my wife and I spent some quality gaper time in the area :D
Can vouch for this report as I was there. Did one Palisades run (easiest on lookers left) All open except Chimney.
Soft snow did indeed hold up well in north facing areas but large soft snow moguls are forming in areas like Chute 75.

A lot of race camps were running at top of Siberea. Did not stay around for the Johnny Mosley signing
event at 3:30pm Or for KT22 running till 7pm. Next Sunday is the Cushing Pond Skim !

Pool and hot tub opened Saturday. Free if you have next years pass.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How late did it ski well?
It was still good when we left after 11. Some of the runs were still pretty firm. Biggest problem was the runout on Rose side was getting really slow. Coming down anything from Kit Carson on was almost a skate/push.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mt Rose skied really great today. We ended up skiing 3+ hrs
@Philpug and @Andy Mink in the Chutes.
IMG_5117.JPG.jpeg
I was looking at a couple pics to see what chutes we were in, but I can't really tell. :huh:
IMG_5119.PNG.png

When we left we got to watch a hang glider take off.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Well, day 62 and my season is finally done for real. The snow was fantastic, corn everywhere, no crowds, and tons of soft moguls everywhere. My daughter and I went up Palisades around 10 am and skied the Extra Chute, the entrance is quite easy this year, and with the corn snow in the chute the rest was a piece of cake.

Here is the sign at the base of the KT lift, the Squaw spirit ( or mean spirit, depends on how you see it) lives on....
IMG_4239.PNG

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug and I went down Beehive. Not sure what you were doing.:huh:

Good to finally meet you yesterday wilt P&T Andy!

Some of my buddies yesterday were doing a "Nevada perfect day" trifecta. Skied at rose in the morning, followed by a 25 mile dirt bike ride, the finished off waterskiing. I didn't do the dirt bike ride but I did waterski after the race camp so I made the difecta....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We will be at Rose on Thursday and Friday and maybe over the weekend if anyone plans on being around. We will be parking on the Slide side.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We will be at Rose on Thursday and Friday and maybe over the weekend if anyone plans on being around. We will be parking on the Slide side.
I forgot that we ae scheduled to get the VW TDI back tomorrow. No skiing. Friday for sure.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Squaw posted a blog update on Chute-75 today. KT-22 will be turning into Memorial Day weekend.

They mentioned in an earlier post that they are moving patrol and operating staff from Granite Chief and Headwall over to KT to keep it running. Once KT closes due to conditions, they will reevaluate Granite Chief and Headwall.

https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/prime-time-chute-75

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Great, I'll drop a line if I head up over the weekend, which I really really hope to do, but also depends on family schedule, etc

Cheers!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I forgot that we ae scheduled to get the VW TDI back tomorrow. No skiing. Friday for sure.

Typo? Or is VW undoing the settlement? Can we get our Jetta back? If you are turning it in, our process went quickly. You should be able to catch a couple turns after that.

I'm jealous of all of you who are scoring the late season goods. Definitely planning for the Fourth. Hoping for a couple turns before that so trying to plan a trip. In the meantime, make a turn for me.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Typo? Or is VW undoing the settlement? Can we get our Jetta back? If you are turning it in, our process went quickly. You should be able to catch a couple turns after that.

I'm jealous of all of you who are scoring the late season goods. Definitely planning for the Fourth. Hoping for a couple turns before that so trying to plan a trip. In the meantime, make a turn for me.

Eric
It is going back....getting it back to VW.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Squaw posted a blog update on Chute-75 today. KT-22 will be turning into Memorial Day weekend.

They mentioned in an earlier post that they are moving patrol and operating staff from Granite Chief and Headwall over to KT to keep it running. Once KT closes due to conditions, they will reevaluate Granite Chief and Headwall.

https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/prime-time-chute-75

So, no Granite or Headwall is the price of having KT? It's get one lift for the price of two? Does not sound like such a great deal. This weekend Headwall was skiing way better than KT anyway.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If they're allowing the reverse traverse from Sibo over to Head wall, I'd be up for that hike ..... but I suspect they won't.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If they're allowing the reverse traverse from Sibo over to Head wall, I'd be up for that hike ..... but I suspect they won't.
I doubt they do, as they keep Palisades open. It is either or, otherwise the skiers can collide on the runout from the 'Sades. And why do reverse traverse when they can spin the lift?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The either/or with the Palisades makes a lot of sense, but the reverse traverse/hike only comes into play if they're running KT instead Headwall. My preference would be Headwall, just for North Bowl alone.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
From 40 years skiing at Mammoth in spring and later, I observe they back up the opening hour as it gets warmer. Mammoth has been opening at 7:30AM since May 15.

So Squaw, 2,000 feet lower with more accelerated softening of spring snow, is still opening at ....9AM!!! And on the weekends after June 4 hours will be cut back, but that includes moving the opening time to....10AM?!?

Liz and I still plan to ski Squaw June 2 because we pass right by on the way to raft North Fork American on June 3.

But seriously, does Squaw management have a clue about spring skiing? Do they salt the groomers to retard the buildup of sticky snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.