• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Several, they'ye in a iphone (big problem for me), will be away so it will be 4 days to a week. won't attach to my email
Can they go straight from iphone saved photo's to pugski ?

Yes, unless I am missing something. You click on the camera icon at the top of the editor, then you choose "Upload a File" at the bottom of the editor. From there, I normally choose "Documents" and navigate to the pictures saved on my phone (not an iPhone, but it shouldn't matter). Hope this works?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Trip report:
The Tahoe ski area most all of us have never skied (self included )
Today I visited Donner Ski Ranch (across from Sugar Bowl- Judah entrance) and had a great time.
:roflmao:

Old school for sure, rustic wood lodge, slow lifts -2 on front side, and lift #2 on back side ran. Rates
for spring are $40 for all ($22 or less for kids)

Got to hand it to them - They are open weekends "until the snow melts" There is deep snow most
everywhere. Can't say same for SB, NS, Kwood, or HV which are all closed.

Not sure I would have paid $40 when AFAIK Alpine and Squaw are free for you, but it's always nice to go somewhere new. I have a few days at Donner Ski Ranch including one nearly 7 years ago when they were the only place open around Tahoe on Monday of Memorial Day weekend. See http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8963&p=54889 for report with some pictures. That was season when nearby Central Sierra Snow Lab reported 501".

I also had a couple of powder days there and was there for Champagne Grand Opening celebration of triple chair (1983?). Not only was skiing free, but they limited it to the first 500 or 800 and poured free Chandon in early afternoon. I had enough champagne that I needed to ski for a couple of hours longer than planned so I could drive home.

I'm thinking about skiing later this week, probably either Wed at Squaw, then Thur at Rose (could push these back a day) or Fri at Rose and Sat at Squaw. High temps predicted make it seem like the earlier days will be better. Anyone going to be around to make some turns with at Squaw or to share the 4 friends for $99 deal (or their buddy tickets) at Rose?

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpine this weekend was super fun. Saturday's corn was amazing and Sunday too.

Unfortunately, the Sherwood lift broke down Sunday about 10 am and we had to hike out. I ended up hiking half way and then getting a ride on a snow machine.

Here is a video from Saturday on South Face. I am the first skier.

https://goo.gl/photos/Zv6VYL9LbVbuiyC47

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thinking of driving up this weekend. How is the snow holding up at Squaw?

Also, is there any decent mountain biking or the trails are still muddy?

Just returned from Squaw. Definitely looks like the mountain saw some traffic this weekend. Lots of cross ruts in the mogul lines & mid slope traverses. Bumps were much bigger than last week. Rode with a patroller who seemed to think this may be the last week for KT. Red Dog appears to be done.
Skied mostly on KT with a few on Headwall. Sun was in & out all day, mostly in though if you tried to stay in the spotlight. A few pellets from the sky here & there. Skied from 9:30 till 2:30 for about 20 runs. Snow was great the whole time, never sticky although it is getting dirtier.
We'll see how much new snow arrives tomorrow. Hopefully only enough to spruce things up a bit.
image.jpeg

Don't know about north shore for MTBing but the back side of Tahoe mountain is about the only game down in south shore. Been on it a bunch.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hoping to make some turns at Mt. Rose this weekend....Any takers? @Mendieta @ScotsSkier @Andy Mink ?

Hope I'll make it!

Exactly! @Bobalooski was saying earlier in the thread that he is heading there this weekend, too :wave:

So, here is the deal. I wish I could go this Friday but I'm crazy busy at work. Maybe I can make it Saturday, hope so. It will be in the 70's. sigh. So, I think skiing will last about two hours or so, 9 to 11. The slide bowl is always tougher to time in spring, so perhaps the lodge side will be better. Kit Carson Bowl tends to hold up well.

Anyways, I'll give you guys a shout if I show up on Saturday. Cheers!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Temps look best for tomorrow or Friday.

Yeah, there is a cold front that will stay a day or two, then you are on your own :) My rule of thumb is 50F / 10C, That's where it gets funky. Rather, when temps clearly cross that boundary. Oh well, such a Blessing to have ANY snow at this time of the year. AN hour is an hour. My biggest issue is driving 7 hours or 8, if I will perhaps ski 2. It does make it a tough decision ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was posted on Sugar Bowls pass holder page.
Meanwhile, check out the web cams and how much snow is there. http://www.sugarbowl.com/webcams
Thank you for an incredible winter on the Summit!
PREVIOUS
NEXT
But, all good things must come to an end. May 7 was our last day for the historic 2016-17 season and Sugar Bowl is now closed until next season.

We received a whopping 795" of natural snowfall, the most again of any resort in the Lake Tahoe region! This past season is now officially "the wettest winter in the Northern Sierra in over a century" breaking the former record year of 1982-83.

All of that snow made for incredible conditions all season long , but at times, it also made for some challenging travel and on-mountain conditions. We can’t thank YOU, our guests enough for the commitment and support you showed Sugar Bowl this year, during the good times and not-so-good times! This California-family-owned-resort is humbled by your choice to spend precious time with friends and family here enjoying this unique resort and experience with us. While you are off enjoying all summer has to offer, the Sugar Bowl team will be working to improve the resort for your first visit next season. Look for new snow removal and snow grooming equipment, a major renovation to the kids ski school experience and an updated Nob Hill Café next season, among numerous other enhancements.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This was posted on Sugar Bowls pass holder page.
Meanwhile, check out the web cams and how much snow is there. http://www.sugarbowl.com/webcams
Thank you for an incredible winter on the Summit!
PREVIOUS
NEXT
But, all good things must come to an end. May 7 was our last day for the historic 2016-17 season and Sugar Bowl is now closed until next season.

We received a whopping 795" of natural snowfall, the most again of any resort in the Lake Tahoe region! This past season is now officially "the wettest winter in the Northern Sierra in over a century" breaking the former record year of 1982-83.

All of that snow made for incredible conditions all season long , but at times, it also made for some challenging travel and on-mountain conditions. We can’t thank YOU, our guests enough for the commitment and support you showed Sugar Bowl this year, during the good times and not-so-good times! This California-family-owned-resort is humbled by your choice to spend precious time with friends and family here enjoying this unique resort and experience with us. While you are off enjoying all summer has to offer, the Sugar Bowl team will be working to improve the resort for your first visit next season. Look for new snow removal and snow grooming equipment, a major renovation to the kids ski school experience and an updated Nob Hill Café next season, among numerous other enhancements.

It is so sad that they have to close with so much snow.

OTOH, I totally get it. It is hard not to operate at a loss in late spring: most income would come from ticket sales, and most of the people who ski well enough to he able to ski in the spring hold a season pass. Or would feel funky paying too much for a couple hours of skiing, tops.

Now, how is @Stev 's article on patch skiing coming along?

:popcorn:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
It looks like Liz and I will be at Squaw June 2. We will be skiing Mammoth starting May 28 but are rafting the North Fork American on June 3. Can anyone local make a guess how long Siberia will be skiable? I'm guessing Headwall's days are numbered because its base is so low and sun exposed.

I note Squaw will be weekends only after June 4. Once KT22 is no longer skiable I think Alpine is the better spring mountain, but obviously KSL thinks differently.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It looks like Liz and I will be at Squaw June 2. We will be skiing Mammoth starting May 28 but are rafting the North Fork American on June 3. Can anyone local make a guess how long Siberia will be skiable? I'm guessing Headwall's days are numbered because its base is so low and sun exposed.

I note Squaw will be weekends only after June 4. Once KT22 is no longer skiable I think Alpine is the better spring mountain, but obviously KSL thinks differently.

Siberia could make it to 4th of July. I'm planning to go to Squaw tomorrow and will let you know what I find. Tonight may be last hard freeze until 5/31 if you believe weather.com's 10-day forecast for Squaw's base. While that forecast is for the base, they often get inversions where upper mountain is warmer.

You can ski North Bowl, Hogsback and better part of the Face of Headwall using Siberia and Reverse Traverse and cutting back to bottom of Siberia. It requires a moderate hike to top of Headwall after traverse from top of Siberia. But that requires Squaw to have Reverse Traverse open which means more area to patrol and possible conflicts with Palisades which are usually weekdays only. I've seen both open on my limited Squaw days the last couple of years, but that's not usually the way it's done.

If anyone will be at Squaw Thursday or Mt Rose Friday and want to get together, send me a PM. Saturday at Squaw is also possible.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
You can ski North Bowl, Hogsback and better part of the Face of Headwall using Siberia and Reverse Traverse and cutting back to bottom of Siberia. It requires a moderate hike to top of Headwall after traverse from top of Siberia.
That had occurred to me. Is that similar to hiking up to Wipe Out/Drop Out at Mammoth when the gondola is running but 23 is not?

Siberia could make it to 4th of July.
At any rate I want to keep tabs on Squaw's progress for Patrick from Ottawa, who is probably coming out here for June/July as he did in 2006 and 2010. Patrick has skied every month since October 2005, a feat I suspect is unique for someone living in the East.

I can't tell whether Patrick (MadPatSki on Epic) is registered here. Is there an alpha sorted list of all members by screen name?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That had occurred to me. Is that similar to hiking up to Wipe Out/Drop Out at Mammoth when the gondola is running but 23 is not?

At any rate I want to keep tabs on Squaw's progress for Patrick from Ottawa, who is probably coming out here for June/July as he did in 2006 and 2010. Patrick has skied every month since October 2005, a feat I suspect is unique for someone living in the East.

I can't tell whether Patrick (MadPatSki on Epic) is registered here. Is there an alpha sorted list of all members by screen name?

Here you go... https://forum.pugski.com/members/list

We were hoping to make it back to Tahoe to ski this weekend but got stuck here in Colorado with 2-3' of fresh. Light a candle for us, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online