• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
graphic.aspx

On Friday, expect some cloudy conditions developing overnight, should clear by Friday afternoon. Expect less than an inch from this system.

The May 15-17 system has changed for the better.
3ad2a626e5.png

10-20" in the Tahoe area is forecast on both EC and GFS. Snow level = 4000ft. Hopefully this trend continues.

And weather.com is showing freezing temps overnight and a mostly sunny, cold Saturday (for spring standards), at Rose. I'll do my best to get there and make a few turns!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes, it was a great morning at Rose and a fantastic surface, one of the best training surfaces we have had all year! this was at 7.15...
View attachment 24019

Ah, I went to the slide side to try to find you, no luck

For me it was hit and miss. Amazing snow for this late in the spring, and the relatively cool temps helped, as we had anticipated. Not hero snow, at least not in most of the runs, thought I did hit some hero, which is always a pleasure.

I used the few hours to sample a lot of the runs. Some of the groomers, particularly the steeper ones on the lodge side (NW Passage, etc), were a bit treacherous. There were a few blocks of ice, little ice bits, it seems like the groomer actually picked up pieces here and there, just like @Andy Mink . Later in the day I came back and it was some soft on top of really hard snow, not ideal. Those were a bit too much for me, in those conditions. The slide side was a lot of fun 10 to 11, I did some runs, both there and the lodge side, that I hadn't taken before. Notably, Upper Ramsey's, which has some amazing views. Pics below.

All in all, I enjoyed some faster runs on groomed, some fun runs on soft spring bumps, some corn, some hero, and some challenging hard frozen (the top of Upper Ramsey's was really hard, even 12:15).

The runs of the day were, for me, Lower Lakeview, which was skiing really really well, and Silver Dollar, which had lovely soft bumps mid morning. Special mention to Kit Carson Bowl, which was really nice early morning.

Anyways, once I felt heavy sticky snow, I went back to the parking lot. And drove back home. I don't need an injury :)

UPPER RAMSEY'S AREA:
20170513_120032.jpg 20170513_120026.jpg 20170513_120023.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The stars aligned this morning for a stellar day touring on Mt. Tallac! This was my first day skiing on one of my ATF mountains since the last big snow year in 2011. Amazing how much snow is holding even at the lower elevations.
A solid freeze, clear, cool windless day kept me out from 7am till I ran out of energy & back to the car at 2pm. Even then I think it was still only about 50 degrees & was still skiing sublime, glassy corn.

Checking it out a few days ago
image.jpeg

Middle ridge to run 1
image.jpeg

Breakfast view
image.jpeg

Ready to go
image.jpeg

Played tag with these guys on my way to the 2nd run
image.jpeg

Snow a little beat up in "the Cross" just below the summit
image.jpeg

Great snow on the mid elevation slopes for a third & final run
image.jpeg

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
graphic.aspx

On Friday, expect some cloudy conditions developing overnight, should clear by Friday afternoon. Expect less than an inch from this system.

The May 15-17 system has changed for the better.
3ad2a626e5.png

10-20" in the Tahoe area is forecast on both EC and GFS. Snow level = 4000ft. Hopefully this trend continues.
And yet another downgrade...
graphic.aspx

Now we are looking like 1-2" for the Monday 15 - Wednesday 17 period. The snow level should be around 7000-9000ft for that period except perhaps Tuesday night with a snow level of 5000ft.

The longer term outlook looks very lacking with snow on both EPS Control and GFS. And with warmer temperatures moving north in the next week or so, I reckon this has a good chance of being Tahoe and Mammoth's final snowfall. But things can always change.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Trip report:
The Tahoe ski area most all of us have never skied (self included )
Today I visited Donner Ski Ranch (across from Sugar Bowl- Judah entrance) and had a great time.
:roflmao:

Old school for sure, rustic wood lodge, slow lifts -2 on front side, and lift #2 on back side ran. Rates
for spring are $40 for all ($22 or less for kids)

Got to hand it to them - They are open weekends "until the snow melts" There is deep snow most
everywhere. Can't say same for SB, NS, Kwood, or HV which are all closed.
Past 2 nights had good freezes resulting in perfect corn snow everywhere on/off piste. Amazing thing was
the ski area owner was even on the hill loading chairs -something you'd never see Andy Wirth doing!

Good steeps at the top -but only 50 to 100ft and a few other places. Bluebird day with soft snow on front
but cool temps kept the snow good -not too sloppy even at 4pm.

Backside, more northerly , only softened from 1 to 3 pm, had more good runs. In general more interesting
than I expected and worth a day of 2 if you're local - compares with Boreal. Visitors might want to stay with
the big areas.

Tomorrow should be good at the open ski areas. Last day at Alpine Meadows.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Trip report:
The Tahoe ski area most all of us have never skied (self included )
Today I visited Donner Ski Ranch (across from Sugar Bowl- Judah entrance) and had a great time.
:roflmao:

Old school for sure, rustic wood lodge, slow lifts -2 on front side, and lift #2 on back side ran. Rates
for spring are $40 for all ($22 or less for kids)

Got to hand it to them - They are open weekends "until the snow melts" There is deep snow most
everywhere. Can't say same for SB, NS, Kwood, or HV which are all closed.
Past 2 nights had good freezes resulting in perfect corn snow everywhere on/off piste. Amazing thing was
the ski area owner was even on the hill loading chairs -something you'd never see Andy Wirth doing!

Good steeps at the top -but only 50 to 100ft and a few other places. Bluebird day with soft snow on front
but cool temps kept the snow good -not too sloppy even at 4pm.

Backside, more northerly , only softened from 1 to 3 pm, had more good runs. In general more interesting
than I expected and worth a day of 2 if you're local - compares with Boreal. Visitors might want to stay with
the big areas.

Tomorrow should be good at the open ski areas. Last day at Alpine Meadows.

John, did you take any pics, pretty please? :)

:useless:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor