• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, I got talked into an "earn your turns" outing Sunday on the backside of Wildcat. All the way up and all the way down. Nothing like being a novice tele skier in fresh wet cement baking in the April sun. Despite that, it was a gorgeous day.

FullSizeRender-2-01.jpeg

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, let's say I was supposed to go to Mont Tremblant for a long weekend tomorrow, and we cancelled it because of the freezing rain, rain, and general grossness of the weather they've had this week and in the forecast . . .

I've sort of followed this thread, but not enough to know if there's someplace in Vermont(?) that would be worth about a 12 hour drive, leaving tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've sort of followed this thread, but not enough to know if there's someplace in Vermont(?) that would be worth about a 12 hour drive, leaving tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Just looked at the radar...looks like Michigan is the place to go at the moment. Ha!

Untitled.png

But back to seriousness...Jay has had a pretty fantastic year. They're getting a bit of rain today (and free car washes tomorrow, according to their weather report)...but come tomorrow evening they're calling for some snow...could be 6 inches. Not a huge dump, but probably better than anywhere else.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup, I got talked into an "earn your turns" outing Sunday on the backside of Wildcat. All the way up and all the way down. Nothing like being a novice tele skier in fresh wet cement baking in the April sun. Despite that, it was a gorgeous day.

View attachment 21968

So is this somewhere on the back of the ski area?

Sunday was awesome for the first couple hours but got kind of gluey in the afternoon. The freeze up Sunday night made for better more corn like skiing on Monday which was glorious. Tuesday was probably the winner for me this week as it came down all day and skied silky especially up top. Yesterday was fantastic at opening and slowly transtioned to heavy as the day wore on. It was a good four days and the base is great up there but snowy weather looks to be ending. I need to do some life shit but looking ahead to my next free day (Monday), things look like they will have transitioned back to spring and the temps look super warm

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

12 hour drive, might as well fly west.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So is this somewhere on the back of the ski area?

Yeah. Wildcat Valley Trail. Several outlets, but the way we did it you end up back in Jackson in the Prospect Farm area of the JSTF network, north of Eagle Mountain House, on the Carter Notch Road.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just looked at the radar...looks like Michigan is the place to go at the moment. Ha!

Well, we're drying out, but we're also getting warm. And the ski areas are closed. Had a nice last day at Nubs on Saturday

12 hour drive, might as well fly west.

Unfortunately, not last minute! I did check fares, though, to see how bad it would be. If we wanted to Priceline it we could get from here to Calgary for @$550 but I don't know what airline or how many stops there would be along the way!

Guess I'm going to have to accept that I'm done for this year.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington will be rocking this weekend with the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge. Weather will start a little cool and wet on Saturday with sun on tap for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Jay Peak has the fun family event called the Vertical Challenge Finals. Stowe is great as always. Mad River Glen will open for one final day on Sunday April 9 were it is rumored Tricia will lose her MRG cherry. Great weekend to come to Vermont.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ Yes if you're goin muddin' it'll be great! :beercheer:

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Burlington VT
249 PM EDT Thu Apr 6 2017

NYZ028>031-034-035-VTZ002-005-006-008>012-016>019-070900-
/O.CON.KBTV.FA.A.0002.000000T0000Z-170408T1200Z/
/00000.0.RS.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Eastern Clinton-Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-
Western Clinton-Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Western Franklin-
Western Chittenden-Lamoille-Washington-Western Addison-Orange-
Western Rutland-Windsor-Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-
Eastern Addison-Eastern Rutland-
Including the cities of Plattsburgh, Star Lake, Saranac Lake,
Tupper Lake, Dannemora, Lake Placid, Port Henry, Ticonderoga,
St. Albans, Burlington, Johnson, Stowe, Montpelier, Middlebury,
Vergennes, Bradford, Randolph, Rutland, Springfield,
White River Junction, Enosburg Falls, Richford, Underhill,
Bristol, Ripton, East Wallingford, and Killington
249 PM EDT Thu Apr 6 2017

...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

The Flood Watch continues for

* The entire North Country, except the Saint Lawrence valley in
northern New York, the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and Grand
Isle County in northwest Vermont.

* Through Saturday morning

* Minor to locally moderate flooding is possible across the region
due to increased runoff from snow melt and widespread rainfall
amounts between one and one and a half inches. Basins with the
highest flood threat are the Ausable, Otter Creek, Winooski and
Mad Rivers where river crests above flood stage are likely on
Friday.

* Potential impacts include road closures in low spots,
potential basement flooding in poor drainage locations, and
field flooding.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
current forecasts.

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
Flood Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sugarbush was pretty decent today if you could deal with the rain. Some places granola on cream cheese, some just granola.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Driving to Stowe this AM I was thinking it's not a good sign when ducks are swimming in people's lawns. Well, you never know unless you go. Things were sorta hard up top, a thin layer of new snow over a groom that had frozen up. Half way down the mountain things really softened up - in a good way. Moved from the Gondi to the Triple. Nice skiing on the groomers and the bumps on Gulch and Lower Hayride were very good. We even saw the sun for a minute or two! Started snowing up top at lunchtime with a rain line somewhere around the Crossover trail.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe was good on the groomers until it started snowing, then it got sticky.

Hoping that tomorrow has a big enough window off non sticky snow to be fun, its dumping on at my house at 1600 feet now.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're thinking of going tomorrow, go. Sugarbush was getting water works all morning. Then somewhere around one o'clock part of the water decided to grow up to become snow flakes. By 3:30 most of the water had matured and snow crystals dominated. Down on rte 100 mostly immature powder.
IMG_2099.JPG

Sugarbush at 4 o'clock. Hard to see but it was coming down pretty good. That trail is not representative of the quite good coverage. By last run at 5 o'clock, definitely a few inches that was mixing with the old snow pretty well. Needs people to ski it. Flat areas sticky.

Bumps on Stein's much better than yesterday. Domino has very good bumps.

Check hours for this weekend. This week was 10-5.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like dust on dirt.

James

Out There
Instructor
That looks like dust on dirt.
It skied well yesterday with some caution. No bare spots on Spring Fling and trails next to it. Don't recall any on Stein's and the moguls are big. So... get in the car and ski some spring bumps!

Sponsor

Staff online