• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

James

Out There
Instructor
Was hoping for and midweek day at mount snow or okemo on Wednesday but will have to see what happens with tomorrow weather and Wednesday's forecast.
You should come this week. Tmrw or wed is perhaps the best. Next monday, tues is looking to be 60-70 degrees in town.

James

Out There
Instructor
Moose might rampage on trail??

Headed to Stowe tmrw and wed!

Last edited:
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
There's some pictures here: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=6 of the original T-bar. Apparently they did put a single-chair in at one point (i.e., see the last picture). Two of the pictures (sort of) show some sort of rocky outcropping that could be your waterfall?
The pics in your link is the old A slope T bar. The line the Brian skied is the old Summit Poma Line. The trail has been closing in since they removed the poma almost 20 years ago. Overhead power line on the trail was removed and run under ground up Giant Killer. Previous Pico manger wanted to pull up the steel cable and reopen the poma line as a ski trail. Nice poach on a good day. Icy slide of death with steel in the middle of the slope too often. Pick your day carefully.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 3April Killington Conditions
High thin clouds did little to cloak the strong morning sun. Groomed trails were perfectly buffed with Highline having a soft surface from the start. The natural and untouched terrain had a hard shell coating protecting softer snow under. Groomed Outer Limits won the softest snow of the morning. Dream Maker Headwall was quite dreamy. Bumps on Vertigo were down right perfect fun. By the time the afternoon rolled around the hard shell covering was gone with Catwalk melting in our mouth. Pounded the Canyon runs until my legs cried for mercy.

Spring Grade A-

Quote of the Day – My brain told my legs what to do they just didn’t receive the message.
Reason.JPG
Reason
Catwalk Air.JPG
Catwalk Air
Downdraft Headwall.JPG
Downdraft

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Is that second picture in you post above taken on the Roundabout Trail?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
some great surface skiing at Stowe today. Cream corn, and woods and bumps were great on fatter skis. If you clothes suck you got wet though and vis was awful.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Is that second picture in you post above taken on the Roundabout Trail?
The trail in the second picture is a Killington gem called Catwalk. It is a classic New England ski trail without any snowmaking and only groomed with skis or boards. Fewer than 1% of our visitors ever see the trail. From the top of the K1 Gondola climb the metal stairs on the right. Only takes 2-3 minutes to climb up to the top of trail. At 4100' it's our highest trail. Normally ski it everyday that is open. Evergreens help gather then protect the snow that lands on this ground. Amazing how a short uphill hike preserves the quality of the snow. Picture of my buddy launching off the lip makes it look way easier than it is. Here are a few more shots of the trail from Monday. Precious few of these old style trails are left.

Catwalk1.JPG
Catwalk2.JPG
Catwalk3.JPG

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Was going to go to Mount Snow or Okemo today but when I saw rain I stayed home. In hindsight I should have gone to Okemo but ah well. Hopefully the heat wave next week won't hurt things too badly so I can head up next wednesday. I'm headed to Sugarbush this weekend. Has anyone skied 'the bush' this week? Figuring on Kenjas for the weekend but would love to know how it's skied this week.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January