• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Mammoth/"Calif4nia" Conditions/Meetups Thread

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The weather channel app also has resort conditions & forecast

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The predicted temps for the Memorial Day weekend are a little lower than earlier this week, but no 20s. The second link I had (from Howard Sheckter's site) appears to exactly match the Mammoth's snow report page extended forecast @TonyC said to use.

Some great pictures of the snow from this season in SF Chronicle article on work to open Tioga Pass that says "the road will most likely open at the end of June or early July, but said people still need to use caution in the backcountry." I'm hoping to use Sonora Pass on my return to Bay Area on Sunday, but it sounds like it's 50/50 whether it opens this Friday.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1759.JPG
Bar chart posted at Mill Cafe, dated 5/17.

Feel like I won the lottery for having my first and only season pass at Mammoth this year.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Town advance reservation has 8k guests this weekend.

MM Snowman report below:

Spring Skiing is just about perfect out on Mammoth Mountain. If you're coming up for the holiday weekend you can expect the following lifts to run on a 140-300 inch base. Lifts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 (till12:30 pm) 10, 11, 12, 23 and G1 and G2. Chair 17 will also run out of Canyon Lodge for additional Parking, no services will be offered at the lodge. Lifts run from 7:30 am till 3PM.

Down in town things are melted out now so you can enjoy some Mtn. Biking, Fishing and Hiking below the 8000 foot level.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled

MM Snowman report below:

Spring Skiing is just about perfect out on Mammoth Mountain. If you're coming up for the holiday weekend you can expect the following lifts to run on a 140-300 inch base. Lifts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 (till12:30 pm) 10, 11, 12, 23 and G1 and G2. Chair 17 will also run out of Canyon Lodge for additional Parking, no services will be offered at the lodge. Lifts run from 7:30 am till 3PM.

Down in town things are melted out now so you can enjoy some Mtn. Biking, Fishing and Hiking below the 8000 foot level.
This will be the most extensive lift operation for Memorial Day since 1983. I was there Memorial Days of 1995 and 2011, the other deepest snowpack seasons since I've been skiing Mammoth. 9,13,14 and any link to parking at Canyon were not open.

But it was interesting to see town completely melted out with green grass on our last visit May 14-16. I do not recall this from other big years. Town had lost a huge amount of snow between our April 10-12 and April 19-21 trips, so it was clear there wouldn't be much left by mid-May.
View attachment 24634 Bar chart posted at Mill Cafe, dated 5/17.

Feel like I won the lottery for having my first and only season pass at Mammoth this year.
Liz got a Mammoth season pass for next year. Even considering she was previously getting half price Mountain Collective tickets at Mammoth, the 2017-18 pass will be paid for by Memorial Day. And we will be back end of June/early July.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 24634 Bar chart posted at Mill Cafe, dated 5/17.

I'm a second lucky winner then! We got season passes via the 4 lesson route and it has been an amazing time. Our first time having passes (or skiing regularly for that matter) and got in 25 days. There might be a late June trip but that's up in the air. Ski! Ski! Ski!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the "you're always right" part. :D

Instead of smearing, think KP. Slice and dice.
Will get you much rounder turns with lots of power to cut through the mush cleaner. Way less work in the slop and slush in the long run.

@KingGrump, worked on rounder turns and getting off my rear, also thanks to running into a friend who is a level 3 telemark/alpine instructor from SoCal. SuperJoy went to the top for the first time and came down the Noids in midday mush. Connected many more turns than I expected. SuperJoy is finally bringing me joy for several solid hours.

Met a guy at Mill parking lot who asked me,
" Don't you want something fatter in this condition?"

"Nay, they skied well on the Noids and I'm working on my techniques." :golfclap:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Spring has arrived , nice corn early. Still upper 50's if not 60°
By the room bookings , they are expecting a good weekend
this memorial .
Im here until Friday this week .
Taco tues. Mmm....

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The predicted temps for the Memorial Day weekend are a little lower than earlier this week, but no 20s. The second link I had (from Howard Sheckter's site) appears to exactly match the Mammoth's snow report page extended forecast @TonyC said to use.

Some great pictures of the snow from this season in SF Chronicle article on work to open Tioga Pass that says "the road will most likely open at the end of June or early July, but said people still need to use caution in the backcountry." I'm hoping to use Sonora Pass on my return to Bay Area on Sunday, but it sounds like it's 50/50 whether it opens this Friday.
@Mothertucker posted aninteresting Ariel view some where.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump, worked on rounder turns and getting off my rear, also thanks to running into a friend who is a level 3 telemark/alpine instructor from SoCal. SuperJoy went to the top for the first time and came down the Noids in midday mush. Connected many more turns than I expected. SuperJoy is finally bringing me joy for several solid hours.

Met a guy at Mill parking lot who asked me,
" Don't you want something fatter in this condition?"

"Nay, they skied well on the Noids and I'm working on my techniques." :golfclap:

Looks like you are getting the hang of it. :daffy::golfclap:

Don't need to float if you can part the sea. ogwink

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

MM Snowman report below:

Spring Skiing is just about perfect out on Mammoth Mountain. If you're coming up for the holiday weekend you can expect the following lifts to run on a 140-300 inch base. Lifts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 (till12:30 pm) 10, 11, 12, 23 and G1 and G2. Chair 17 will also run out of Canyon Lodge for additional Parking,
I hope he's right. Mammoth announced today which lifts they plan to open and 17 wasn't on the list.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier

@Tony, I got a kick out of the photo of the basketball hoop. Here is the CalTrans vid @MountainMonster.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony, I got a kick out of the photo of the basketball hoop. Here is the CalTrans vid @MountainMonster.
That video is crazy!
I was talking to @Philpug about taking the Miata for a drive through Yosemite but not sure the Miata will make it for a while. May need to take the Alltrack if we go.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
That video is crazy!
I was talking to @Philpug about taking the Miata for a drive through Yosemite but not sure the Miata will make it for a while. May need to take the Alltrack if we go.
Have Phil put a TBM on the front end, if you've taken Avy1 they might hire you. Just think of the turns you would get after work!

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Up in Smoke is playing here in mammoth tonight with special guest Tommy Chong doing a q & a after the show.
Should be fun !

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Strong winds in town all night.
Clouds covering the mountain right now

Sponsor