• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think it's depended where you skied. I have RMSP (our traditional family Pass), A-Basin (my annual birthday present), and Loveland (romance) and have had maybe 4 days out of 26 so far that were meh. Two of those were at WP over New Years and two at Copper.

The days at Loveland and A-Basin have been awesome, but they were positioned for a big WSW flow season, and nothing else along I-70 really is. For the vast majority of my days, I have tried to stay as high up as possible taking advantage of at times large discrepancies in totals above 11K.

I think this season has totally kicked ass, but I've had the luxury of choice and I think you really needed to be able to ski consistently at the highest elevations across a variety of aspects to find reliably good snow due to the unusual flow pattern.

I have only used the RMSP 6 times I think. Not sure it will get used again this season and pretty sure it's going to get dropped next year.

Also, my pooches are still both crazily coated up despite the warm temps. I don't think it's over.

@ 11,100 on the Continental Divide...

IMG_4476.PNG

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looking at the snotel parallels to 2011, here's hopefully the beginning of a huge April.

IMG_4478.PNG

In the meantime, great ride yesterday. All this time skiing at 11K and above is paying off :D, but it's crazy dry for March.

IMG_4475.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
img_4475-jpg.21073

I know it's silly, but that looks so romantic to me ... two bikes leaning against each other (sort of) ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hope so!

I overdressed today. By a wide margin.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Reactions: nay

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It looks really red, but it's not hot and doesn't hurt, so I'm going to call it a tan.

Reactions: nay

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I slightly overdressed for my skin (tshirt, lightweight long sleeve, fleece vest, Arcteryx Atom LT hoodies) the was dressed pretty much just right for skiing with swapping out long sleeves and the Arcteryx for a shell. I had a few moments where the wind made me chilly but never overheated. Thankfully remembered to use my Joshua Tree stick from one of my Cairn deliveries so no sunburn. That stick is the perfect size/shape and works as sunscreen, wind protectant, and lip balm. I need to research where to buy.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It looks really red, but it's not hot and doesn't hurt, so I'm going to call it a tan.

My wife got stung by something that left a prehistoric stinger in her ring finger while we were hiking Castlewood Canyon. Fortunately, she whipped off her wedding band after we pulled out the stinger, due to that ancient venom finger swelling problem.

The follow on here is her finger is still like hot to the touch, and she's normally cold skiing no matter what the temps, but not today. So I think I may end up in some super hero or super villain hive soon, and I was happy to get in an extra day of skiing.

I'm just keying off of "not hot and doesn't hurt" and playing out "hot and did hurt, now hot and doesn't hurt." Could be bad for me.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I slightly overdressed for my skin (tshirt, lightweight long sleeve, fleece vest, Arcteryx Atom LT hoodies) the was dressed pretty much just right for skiing with swapping out long sleeves and the Arcteryx for a shell. I had a few moments where the wind made me chilly but never overheated. Thankfully remembered to use my Joshua Tree stick from one of my Cairn deliveries so no sunburn. That stick is the perfect size/shape and works as sunscreen, wind protectant, and lip balm. I need to research where to buy.

I know some women who regularly skin Loveland early morning. They bring a change of clothes so that they don't have to do lifts in wet, sweaty gear. That changing room is so nice ...

My wife got stung by something that left a prehistoric stinger in her ring finger while we were hiking Castlewood Canyon. Fortunately, she whipped off her wedding band after we pulled out the stinger, due to that ancient venom finger swelling problem.

The follow on here is her finger is still like hot to the touch, and she's normally cold skiing no matter what the temps, but not today. So I think I may end up in some super hero or super villain hive soon, and I was happy to get in an extra day of skiing.

I'm just keying off of "not hot and doesn't hurt" and playing out "hot and did hurt, now hot and doesn't hurt." Could be bad for me.

So, what super powers are you anticipating?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So, what super powers are you anticipating?

Probably some additional perception about things I'd rather not talk about :D.

Storm track = on. TLDR version. Strong Front Range storm Friday, second storm Sunday, third storm Tuesday.

The flow aloft become more southerly on Thursday as the upper low moves to around the Four Corners region. Moderate to strong mid level qg ascent over eastern CO by 00z Friday with pcpn quickly developing across the cwa. Thursday night into Friday, snow in the mountains, with the models developing a closed low over sern CO by 12z Friday. Mainly rainfall across the northeast plains, with the snow level around 7000 ft msl at that time. Certainly some uncertainty as to where the rain/snow line will be, but for now will keep the mention of snow aoa this level. The combination of snow and strong winds may likely warrant a winter weather highlight for the Front Range mountains east facing slopes late Thu night and Friday. Deep/moist northeasterly flow Friday between 12Z-18z, but pcpn now appears to carryover through 00z Saturday so have extended the best pops through the day Friday due to the slower timing.

Next system that is expected to bring more pcpn to the region will be Sunday into Sunday night, with more inconsistencies regarding the timing of this system as well with the upper trough anywhere from the four corners to southeast colorado by 18z Sunday. Ridging on Monday with drier weather ahead of another potential pcpn producer for CO on Tuesday.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
OK, folks it will start coming in now. My seasons done so you all need to catch some powder turns for me! I'll be watching and enjoying your pictures!

When's the surgery? Has it already happened?

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Storm track = on. TLDR version. Strong Front Range storm Friday, second storm Sunday, third storm Tuesday.

The flow aloft become more southerly on Thursday as the upper low moves to around the Four Corners region. Moderate to strong mid level qg ascent over eastern CO by 00z Friday with pcpn quickly developing across the cwa. Thursday night into Friday, snow in the mountains, with the models developing a closed low over sern CO by 12z Friday. Mainly rainfall across the northeast plains, with the snow level around 7000 ft msl at that time. Certainly some uncertainty as to where the rain/snow line will be, but for now will keep the mention of snow aoa this level. The combination of snow and strong winds may likely warrant a winter weather highlight for the Front Range mountains east facing slopes late Thu night and Friday. Deep/moist northeasterly flow Friday between 12Z-18z, but pcpn now appears to carryover through 00z Saturday so have extended the best pops through the day Friday due to the slower timing.

Next system that is expected to bring more pcpn to the region will be Sunday into Sunday night, with more inconsistencies regarding the timing of this system as well with the upper trough anywhere from the four corners to southeast colorado by 18z Sunday. Ridging on Monday with drier weather ahead of another potential pcpn producer for CO on Tuesday.

:golfclap: Sooo glad I timed my trip right! Will be flying in on Wednesday evening. :yahoo::yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online